• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie Q&A + Showoff Thread across all eras
2 2

61 posts in this topic

This thread validates my longstanding belief that the majority of Archie fans from all eras are a bunch of horndawgs lol lol

The recently launched Clink auction has a bunch of early Archies and a Pep, looks like. Have at 'em gang !

I'm in an Archie group on FB, and someone was talking about how upset they were that Archie and Grundy were hooking up. So I casually mentioned that Archie and Grundy has hooked up in a Tijuana Bible waaaaay back when, and even though it's not an official Archie title...it's still a thing.

Much of Modern Archie stands on the shoulders of giants, indeed :blush:

This thread validates my longstanding belief that the majority of Archie fans from all eras are a bunch of horndawgs lol lol

The recently launched Clink auction has a bunch of early Archies and a Pep, looks like. Have at 'em gang !

I'm in an Archie group on FB, and someone was talking about how upset they were that Archie and Grundy were hooking up. So I casually mentioned that Archie and Grundy has hooked up in a Tijuana Bible waaaaay back when, and even though it's not an official Archie title...it's still a thing.

No doubt Archie hooked up with Grundy in an effort to apologize for this little incident.

archie-09-ha-t_zpsf458552e.jpg

As most long time Archie fans know, a lot of the cover jokes are redrawn for future issues. Sometimes they're almost exact in the layouts and -script and other times they're reworked a bit.

During some time off in December, I thought it would be fun to start matching up a lot of the repeat covers from the 50's and 60's. I started pulling the books and ended up nearly filling a short box just getting the first 20 or so. I realized it was a bigger project than I expected. Here are some of the 20 or so that I did so far:

Z26_zpslycfpxuv.jpg

Z05_zpsizvfgqhb.jpg

Z13_zpsgqcdgq5p.jpg

Z18_zps9eg64qhn.jpg

As most long time Archie fans know, a lot of the cover jokes are redrawn for future issues. Sometimes they're almost exact in the layouts and -script and other times they're reworked a bit.

During some time off in December, I thought it would be fun to start matching up a lot of the repeat covers from the 50's and 60's. I started pulling the books and ended up nearly filling a short box just getting the first 20 or so. I realized it was a bigger project than I expected. Here are some of the 20 or so that I did so far:

Z26_zpslycfpxuv.jpg

Z05_zpsizvfgqhb.jpg

Z13_zpsgqcdgq5p.jpg

Z18_zps9eg64qhn.jpg

Wow awesome project, Tom! I'm obviously aware of them but never thought about a real effort to pull them all for a side by side look. Of what you posted the earlier covers really take the cake comparatively. And this is one of my favorite drawings of Veronica...

Pep79a_zps40d4e92d.jpg

Andrew, I agree about Pep #79. It's one of my favorite Veronica covers. It would have been nice if Montana had done more covers.

I scanned about 50 covers when I started doing this. 40 resulted in the first 20 pairings and the others were covers where I still needed to pull the corresponding recreation. I'll have to get around to that sometime.

I agree that the earlier version is usually nicer but I like seeing how they updated them when they were redone in the 1960's.

Here are a couple more.

Z01_zps45kzzcfi.jpg

Z03_zpsxlqmgpak.jpg