• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,655 posts in this topic

Rangers4.jpg

One of the rarest of al Fiction House books. Along with #2 the rarest Rangers. In this grade it is more hallucination than reality.

I agree. Very tough book. Here's mine (the image is from a Heritage scan... their scans often seem to make the colors a bit brighter than the book looks in hand):

rangers4.jpg

Just to support Michael’s point about the relative scarcity of these early Rangers, here’s a look at the CGC census numbers for the first 10 issues. I realize this is flawed and there is a bias towards slabbing #1s, but it still gives you an idea of how tough it can be to find the early issues of a pretty widely collected title.

#1..... 8 Blue (high 9.6) .....and 5 Purple

#2..... 2 Blue (high 6.0)

#3..... 9 Blue (high 8.5) .....and 1 Purple

#4..... 4 Blue (high 9.2)

#5..... 3 Blue (high 7.5)

#6..... 4 Blue (high 9.4)

#7..... 5 Blue (high 8.5)

#8..... 6 Blue (high 8.5)

#9..... 6 Blue (high 9.2)

#10... 6 Blue (high 8.0)

Heritage has a tendency to amplify colors a bit too often. I make it a point to have settings that match what the book looks like in hand. I always look at the blue in the CGC label to get an idea as to how bad/good the book is really going to look.

IIRC, I think I got my #4 from kelholt.

Heritage has a tendency to amplify colors a bit too often. I make it a point to have settings that match what the book looks like in hand. I always look at the blue in the CGC label to get an idea as to how bad/good the book is really going to look.

IIRC, I think I got my #4 from kelholt.

Your right, you got the #4 from me. It is very nice. You have some great Rangers!

Here are IMHO the toughest of all Rangers.

1. #2 with a cgc census high 6.0 White Pages. This one came from thehumantorch. You simply don't see this one in any condition. I only know of 3, but you would think there are more out there... Maybe not. To me, this one is just as tough as Planet 13,14, or 15.

image-14_zps03347428.jpg

2. #15 Cgc census shows 6 total graded. This one is the highest and a Pennsylvania Pedigree.

It seems with most fiction house covers with a girl tied to a tank or airplane, it at least doubles or triples in scarcity.

cefbd0cd.jpg

Thanks to cheetah for this one. Taken nearly two decades to find one and it's a very pretty copy.

JungleComics17CGC40_zps702d555f.jpg

I LOVE that cover.

I know - it's great isnt it - and for some reason a really tough issue. Why is that so often the case with the best covers?

Maybe it prompted kids to hang the covers on their walls.

Thanks to cheetah for this one. Taken nearly two decades to find one and it's a very pretty copy.

JungleComics17CGC40_zps702d555f.jpg

I LOVE that cover.

I know - it's great isnt it - and for some reason a really tough issue. Why is that so often the case with the best covers?

Maybe it prompted kids to hang the covers on their walls.

Or read 'em to death - I would've done.