• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,655 posts in this topic

Great book, Jeff - compared to the elusive Jumbo 31, how tough are the surrounding issues?

I don't know that there are more copies of 30 and 32 out there than there are of 31. Folks just don't seem to be as ardent in collecting them. I've only seen 2 copies of 30 and one copy of 32 available. The other issues in that range just seemed to have popped up at one point or another and the competition isn't usually very fierce. They may be very rare, too, I just happened to find the one available copy without having to search.

I guess the truth is, the only issues that have been difficult to find are the ones that are promoted as rare so everyone squirrels away their copy. I've certainly heard about more copies of 31 being around than a lot of other issues, it's just that no one really cares about anything but 31.

The SA census is sufficiently built out to correct conventional wisdom of the scarcity of a number of different SA issues. Some issues are more scarce than expected and others, less. We have learned a little bit about scarcity of GA but not as much as SA because I think the census is still far less complete due to intransigent collectors too stubborn to slab.

Great book, Jeff - compared to the elusive Jumbo 31, how tough are the surrounding issues?

I don't know that there are more copies of 30 and 32 out there than there are of 31. Folks just don't seem to be as ardent in collecting them. I've only seen 2 copies of 30 and one copy of 32 available. The other issues in that range just seemed to have popped up at one point or another and the competition isn't usually very fierce. They may be very rare, too, I just happened to find the one available copy without having to search.

I guess the truth is, the only issues that have been difficult to find are the ones that are promoted as rare so everyone squirrels away their copy. I've certainly heard about more copies of 31 being around than a lot of other issues, it's just that no one really cares about anything but 31.

The SA census is sufficiently built out to correct conventional wisdom of the scarcity of a number of different SA issues. Some issues are more scarce than expected and others, less. We have learned a little bit about scarcity of GA but not as much as SA because I think the census is still far less complete due to intransigent collectors too stubborn to slab.

Thank goodness you're not like that - oh - wait -

I think a lot of stuff resides with really old-time collectors. I poke and prod around enough to try to find out who I'm bidding against and there are some elderly folks out there that are still rabid buyers, as long as they can get someone to bid for them.

Time passes and some of these collections will start showing up as folks pass on. They may not be OO pedigree collections, but they will be collections with Larson's, Church's and what not that haven't been seen in decades. Given the low grades on a lot of the highest-graded FH books I have, I think there is more good stuff out there that hasn't been slabbed than there is that has been.

Thank goodness you're not like that - oh - wait -

lol

...... intransigent collectors too stubborn to slab.

Hey! I think I know one or two of those folks! :makepoint:

:angel:

I've thought this had a Vietnam-feel to the image.

Wings122.jpg

It is very hard to find most of those late issues that aren't cooked. So many that I've seen are terribly brittle.