• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

It was a joke...ya nitz... :signfunny:

Of course it was, Brian! :foryou: I hadn't meant to suggest otherwise.

Your witty comment made me realize that he is the only boardie I'm currently aware of [with the exception I just realized of Steve Fishler] with a complete set now that cheetah has sold up - unless mikephoen completed his (I've not seen Mike post anything new in a while).

jbcomicbox has the cover art to Planet #1. I'm not sure how many of the run he owns, but I think he has some Larsons. I also dimly recall he had some publisher's bound sets of much of the run.

Otherwise Mike is probably closest to completing. jhutton2, kelholt and I might just have a set between us. Along with Artboy99, I think that's about it for those of us for whom Planets are a specific collecting focus? Among dyed in the wool Planet collectors, who am I missing?

adamstrange has a wonderful group which is mainly Spokanes.

sacentaur has great copies of #1-#10, and at least two - #3 and #5 - are Larsons. [steve once posted a story about a guy who had a complete Fiction House collection many y ears ago, who had gone to prison for killing his wife, and sold his collection to make ends meet after his release.]

I'm not sure how many BangZoom has, but his copies of early numbers are great as well. Fifties seems to have a fair few, I suspect whomerjay, Inaflash, scrooge, jayman and October may as well, and last time I looked, so did Mr Bedrock.

skybolt sold his I believe.

I know there are many others with wonderful runs, so no disrespect intended to anyone I'm forgetting.

But are there any other complete sets on the boards? Or for that matter, off the boards that anyone is aware of?

As for me being a nitz, unfortunately there is no denying it. I found the perfect definition:

'A Bossy show-off who can't stand not being the center of attention, a loudmouth person_too_unaware_of_social_graces who tries to order people around even through he's not a supervisor'

:sorry:

PlanetComics32raw80_zps99ef463b.jpg

#32 is one that sees lots of variation.

PlanetComics3275.jpg

wow quite different indeed!

I find that issue's cover color variances perhaps the most interesting because they both seem to work equally well in terms of color composition.

Did they print in transparent layers to achieve a greater range of colors?

The top layers might be fully present in the early part of a print run, but not the latter part if they failed to replenish the colors. Perhaps it was even a deliberate choice to save on the cost of printing.

It's pure speculation, but if for example, red was overprinted on an orange base, it might explain why there are copies with variable amounts of red in different parts of the cover.

In the case of #32, I wonder if orange is the secondary overlay, but this time on top of yellow? At least that's how it looks to me.

For years I just assumed the yellow version was the only one. I was quite amazed when I saw a darker version for the first time.

PlanetComics32raw80_zps99ef463b.jpg

#32 is one that sees lots of variation.

PlanetComics3275.jpg

wow quite different indeed!

I find that issue's cover color variances perhaps the most interesting because they both seem to work equally well in terms of color composition.

Did they print in transparent layers to achieve a greater range of colors?

The top layers might be fully present in the early part of a print run, but not the latter part if they failed to replenish the colors. Perhaps it was even a deliberate choice to save on the cost of printing.

It's pure speculation, but if for example, red was overprinted on an orange base, it might explain why there are copies with variable amounts of red in different parts of the cover.

In the case of #32, I wonder if orange is the secondary overlay, but this time on top of yellow? At least that's how it looks to me.

For years I just assumed the yellow version was the only one. I was quite amazed when I saw a darker version for the first time.

I think there were different print runs, and colors were replaced with something "close" to what was used as inks ran out.

My copy has very strong colors, the blues/ greens and yellows are especially strong, yet the colors on your copy also seem strong. Suggests different inks / different combination of colors used in print variations.