• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

My new Planet. I read and really enjoy 'Mars God of war' stories in Planets. This is his only cover, so it has some added importance to me. I have been trying to hunt down a 16 for I while. I was the under bidder in the last two 8.5's heritage had sold in the last two years. Purchased from Point Five (Thank you :foryou:), he said was a beauty and I agree. Near perfect spine and nice colors.

Looks under graded to me. Here's mine by comparison. Yours has way better pages as well.

I agree.

Must be something we can't see in the inside or perhaps on the back cover. Judged purely by the front cover I think Kelholts looks slightly better.

There's a bindery chip at the top of the back cover URC which likely caps the grade at 8.0.

As I told Kelly, this book has one of the nicest spines I've ever seen on an early GA book. There's barely even a single tiny fleck of color missing at the staple areas... it appears unread, or very very close to it.

I'll miss it, but I'm pleased it found a good home. (thumbs u

My new Planet. I read and really enjoy 'Mars God of war' stories in Planets. This is his only cover, so it has some added importance to me. I have been trying to hunt down a 16 for I while. I was the under bidder in the last two 8.5's heritage had sold in the last two years. Purchased from Point Five (Thank you :foryou:), he said was a beauty and I agree. Near perfect spine and nice colors.

Looks under graded to me. Here's mine by comparison. Yours has way better pages as well.

I agree.

Must be something we can't see in the inside or perhaps on the back cover. Judged purely by the front cover I think Kelholts looks slightly better.

There's a bindery chip at the top of the back cover URC which likely caps the grade at 8.0.

As I told Kelly, this book has one of the nicest spines I've ever seen on an early GA book. There's barely even a single tiny fleck of color missing at the staple areas... it appears unread, or very very close to it.

Here is the back

image_zpsstjwewkp.jpeg

I agree.

Here is the back

image_zpsstjwewkp.jpeg

Yes it must be due to the bindery tear.

Curious though, isn't that a production defect?

Sure is a nice copy, thanks for sharing!

I agree.

Here is the back

image_zpsstjwewkp.jpeg

I think it is a production defect and does completely influence the grade for cgc but not for me. I once owned a Planet 29 CGC 9.2 with a similar bindery chip on the front, but it was half the size. That time CGC did not account for the production flaw. I think if the size of the defect was half the size, this book would be a CGC 9.2 as well. My 2c

I agree.

Here is the back

image_zpsstjwewkp.jpeg

I think it is a production defect and does completely influence the grade for cgc but not for me. I once owned a Planet 29 CGC 9.2 with a similar bindery chip on the front, but it was half the size. That time CGC did not account for the production flaw. I think if the size of the defect was half the size, this book would be a CGC 9.2 as well. My 2c

My experience bears this out as well. Look carefully and you'll see a tiny bindery chip at the top of the spine of this Fight #41. No way it would garner a NM grade if the chip were anything other.

But I don't think CGC is consistent about this very common FH defect. Sometimes they disregard, sometimes not - and it doesn't seem to be a matter of size alone.

FightComics41cgc94Rockford_zps9de27a19.jpg

OK, it has been mentioned in other threads, but it seems to fit best here. My first official GA purchase!!!!!!!

IMG_20160105_0002_zpsru5vt6q8.jpg

Congrats (thumbs u

OK, it has been mentioned in other threads, but it seems to fit best here. My first official GA purchase!!!!!!!

Nice book with beautiful colors. Should have some good stories inside too (thumbs u

One of my absolute favorite FH covers. Great choice for a first GA book!

One of my absolute favorite FH covers. Great choice for a first GA book!

I wanted a cool cover, higher grade, and would not break the bank. I found this so I grabbed it. Things that are difficult in GA stuff to get as one package. The more I learn about GA stuff, the more I am amazed at the quality of the art, and how much coolness they could wring out of the printing tech of the period. I always felt that GA stuff everyone knows looks somewhat static, or lower quality work (to me some of the very famous books fit into this category). So thanks to the boards for introducing me to the bigger GA world, which proves otherwise.

Edited by drotto

The Wings 101 is a great cover. Nice blocking or layout, the girl's diagonal pose, the airplane screaming overhead, the explosion in the background.

And we see that the airplane has shot up the truck, saving the girl, which clearly tells the story.

Nicely done.

Probably a Lubbers cover ?