• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics for a Living

103 posts in this topic

Why am I posting this? I suppose I am reaching out. I hope its appropriate. I cant think of another avenue with this much exposure that might have an opportunity. Or even just advice. I currently live in Des Moines, IA, but would love to pick up and move somewhere else. I've thought about going out to California because that's where most of the action is. Anyways, I appreciate your attention, advice, and anything you'd like to contribute on this subject. Thanks all.

Three words: cost of living.

Here's a pretty handy tool to compare cost of living between various metros.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

From Des Moines, IA to Los Angeles, CA, cost of living increase is 56.24%. If you were making, $50,000, you would need $78,118 to maintain the same lifestyle.

From Des Moines, IA to San Francisco, CA, cost of living increase is 96.44%. If you were making, $50,000, you would need $98,218 to maintain the same lifestyle.

I suggest you consider your situation thoroughly before you make any decisions to move.

On the upside, I graduated from a public college in California, and my diploma is signed by Arnold Schwarzenneagar, and avocados are 2-4 for $1. So that's pretty nice. And comics stay the same price nationionwide, so they're actually 'cheaper' as a percentage of a California paycheck in general. Although one could argue that's worse for comic shop owners (gotta sell more to make rent).

I graduated and received my bachelor's when Arnold was governor too. Still think its pretty cool my diploma has the terminator's signature. lol

Why am I posting this? I suppose I am reaching out. I hope its appropriate. I cant think of another avenue with this much exposure that might have an opportunity. Or even just advice. I currently live in Des Moines, IA, but would love to pick up and move somewhere else. I've thought about going out to California because that's where most of the action is. Anyways, I appreciate your attention, advice, and anything you'd like to contribute on this subject. Thanks all.

Three words: cost of living.

Here's a pretty handy tool to compare cost of living between various metros.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

From Des Moines, IA to Los Angeles, CA, cost of living increase is 56.24%. If you were making, $50,000, you would need $78,118 to maintain the same lifestyle.

From Des Moines, IA to San Francisco, CA, cost of living increase is 96.44%. If you were making, $50,000, you would need $98,218 to maintain the same lifestyle.

I suggest you consider your situation thoroughly before you make any decisions to move.

On the upside, I graduated from a public college in California, and my diploma is signed by Arnold Schwarzenneagar, and avocados are 2-4 for $1. So that's pretty nice. And comics stay the same price nationionwide, so they're actually 'cheaper' as a percentage of a California paycheck in general. Although one could argue that's worse for comic shop owners (gotta sell more to make rent).

I graduated and received my bachelor's when Arnold was governor too. Still think its pretty cool my diploma has the terminator's signature. lol

I like to think of him as Mr Freeze