• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics for a Living

103 posts in this topic

To the OP:

I wasn't pushing Los Angeles as a destination. It worked well for me. Doesn't work for everyone. I was pushing you to take action is that is your desire. Take action now.

If you're looking for an opinion, if I was in your shoes I would show up at CGC and offer to sweep floors. Sweep floors like your life depended on it. Be the best floor sweeper in the history of the WORLD. They'll see this and you'll be amazed at the results.

Again, just my opinion.

Great advice wish more did it.

Get out of Iowa while you're still young. You can always come back if you want to settle down.

As a native New Yorker, I say go somewhere warm!

Los Angeles is full of beautiful women. They can't all date movie stars and producers.

If you have a work ethic you will have the chance to kick arse. My friend from high school opened a sound studio out in Los Angeles. He had one in NYC, but had so much Los Angeles work he decided to move his base of operations. (He still has the NYC studio) He hustles and busts his hump because his business wouldn't have survived in NYC had he not. He puts in 12-14 hours day, but he is also doing the sound on like 20 television shows and killing it. He tries to hire 20something locals and they want $100K to work a 30 hour week. No work ethic at all. All my NYC friends who went out there who are hump busters have done tremendously well. Probably something about growing up with amazing weather all the time can destroy your will to work.

As a native Californian. I say go where there is opportunity and lots to do. New York is the center of the universe and commerce.

Beautiful LA girls won't give a Subway Manager the time of day. You've got to "be somebody" or "connected" or have a huge bulge in your back pocket.

Besides, we have earthquakes, traffic, high housing and cost of living prices, gangs and smog. Not a healthy place for a clean cut Iowa boy. Believe me, it is not "the promised land"...

and some of the worst traffic I have ever been in.

Get out of Iowa while you're still young. You can always come back if you want to settle down.

Los Angeles is full of beautiful women. They can't all date movie stars and producers.

If you have a work ethic you will have the chance to kick arse. My friend from high school opened a sound studio out in Los Angeles. He had one in NYC, but had so much Los Angeles work he decided to move his base of operations. (He still has the NYC studio) He hustles and busts his hump because his business wouldn't have survived in NYC had he not. He puts in 12-14 hours day, but he is also doing the sound on like 20 television shows and killing it. He tries to hire 20something locals and they want $100K to work a 30 hour week. No work ethic at all. All my NYC friends who went out there who are hump busters have done tremendously well. Probably something about growing up with amazing weather all the time can destroy your will to work.

As a native Californian. I say go where there is opportunity and lots to do. New York is the center of the universe and commerce.

Beautiful LA girls won't give a Subway Manager the time of day. You've got to "be somebody" or "connected" or have a huge bulge in your back pocket.

Besides, we have earthquakes, traffic, high housing and cost of living prices, gangs and smog. Not a healthy place for a clean cut Iowa boy. Believe me, it is not "the promised land"...

You know it! For every one success story there's a hundred that don't make it in So. Calif. So before you decide to move out here to California make sure you have a plan, because there's more sheit once you get past the beaches and palm trees then you might want. 2c

I'd say brainstorm all the possibilities. See if any map to your skill set. Or better yet, map to something you love doing. Keep in mind that comics aren't all about selling, grading, collecting. If you're good at management, see if you can get in at a comic con or a comic publisher. Making comics takes lots and lots of people skills and project management. So does managing a convention. Or a printer. Or a small publisher.

I say just start at the beginning....write down all the steps necessary in creating, printing, shipping, promoting, etc. There are many steps associated with each step, too.

Figure out what you want to do, what might map to that, and go from there.

---

I suppose, but my other buddy who went out there was dating gorgeous women out there as a 9th string writer on a bad WB show and he's a pudgy woody allen type. Yes, he was "in the industry", but he was making like 60 grand. Now he is a big deal, true, and settled down with a great lady (who wasn't a gold digger as she had a solid career in TV already) in a big house with a pool...

When I am freezing my arse off in NYC and chiseling ice and snow, like right now, I tend to get down on it as it costs about $350K a year to raise a family here (which I don't make) decently and I wonder "why the F am I doing this? A house in ___ costs $250k??"

Anyway, the OP was talking about California.

You know it! For every one success story there's a hundred that don't make it in So. Calif. So before you decide to move out here to California make sure you have a plan, because there's more sheit once you get past the beaches and palm trees then you might want. 2c

-------

He is a subway manager freezing his rear end off in Iowa right now. I bet he can be a subway manager in sunny california and maybe have some upside potential.

Obviously I am living vicariously here. I have regrets about not being taking some chances when younger. 41 of my 44 years have been spent in the Big Apple with a stint in Houston for college.

It really comes down to what will make the OP happy. Where he might find a meaningful career and where the weather and lifestyle and cost of living will suit him. It's up to him to digest this thread and make changes. If he doesn't take a chance and change his life he'll likely regret it for the rest of his life.

-------

He is a subway manager freezing his rear end off in Iowa right now. I bet he can be a subway manager in sunny california and maybe have some upside potential.

Obviously I am living vicariously here. I have regrets about not being taking some chances when younger. 41 of my 44 years have been spent in the Big Apple with a stint in Houston for college.

I love visiting New York, it's so beautiful with a ton of history. California is so damn expensive. My wife and I make a very good living, but even at a six figure income we seem to live paycheck to paycheck. :sorry:

I would add Portland OR to that statement as well.

Us local Angelenos know the side streets through the "hood" to by pass it sometimes.

And if you're not careful, you might be sleeping on one of those beaches if your luck runs out...

And if you're not careful, you might be sleeping on one of those beaches if your luck runs out...

No kidding. Hey you going to Terry's show this year? If so see ya there.

No kidding. Hey you going to Terry's show this year? If so see ya there.

Yep, set up right next to Carbo. Come by and say Hi

----

I live 10 minutes from the beach in NYC. I assure you, you don't want to be sleeping on one here right now. or ever.