• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics for a Living

103 posts in this topic

I'm sure most of you relate: this hobby is a big part of my life and makes me very happy. Where it comes in relation to other priorities (family, work, etc) is an individual thing.

I'm a single guy, no kids, 27 years old, no college, manager of a Subway that I've been at almost 8 years.

Before I started collecting (roughly 3 years ago) I was very depressed. I wont go into a big personal story because :blahblah: but once I got seriously into collecting and made friends and started going to conventions, I snapped out of it. I felt I had...something to live for. The stories, the art, the hunt, the people. Comics and the world of collecting is the first thing I think about when I wake up. Seeing other people's amazing collections fills me with pure joy. Traveling hours and hours to conventions and walking through shows makes me so happy I could fly. There's so much more I could detail...but you know what I mean.

Having management experience I've day dreamed about running a comic shop. But after some thought I've realized it's not a realistic path. I don't have the money to open my own business. It takes a lot more than just loving comics to do that. If I won the lottery, then I might consider it. But even then...I've noticed the struggle of the current LCS. And I have zero interest in Magic the Gathering. It'd be fun to just work at a shop...but I haven't found a position in my area. My job isn't horrible...it pays nicely and is simple for the most part. I try to appreciate it because it supports me and my hobby. But time flies and soon I'll be 30 and I'll still be there, wishing I was doing something else with my time. Something I truly cared about.

Lately I've been brainstorming what sort of possibilities there might be for work in the comic world. I sit and think..."Man, I'd love to work for Wizard World. I wonder if that's possible?" (Cant find much on their site other than volunteering) Or..."I wish I knew a vendor that I could travel with and help and go to con after con. I'd move anywhere to do that." Maybe that wouldn't pay a ton but it'd still be fun. I'd consider a pay cut if it meant doing something that I was passionate about. And it could possibly lead to better things. I would love to help run an existing shop somewhere else, but it seems most of the time shop owners don't have that type of opening. Maybe I just have too many "buts" in my ponderings?

Why am I posting this? I suppose I am reaching out. I hope its appropriate. I cant think of another avenue with this much exposure that might have an opportunity. Or even just advice. I currently live in Des Moines, IA, but would love to pick up and move somewhere else. I've thought about going out to California because that's where most of the action is. Anyways, I appreciate your attention, advice, and anything you'd like to contribute on this subject. Thanks all.

Lot going on in your post so I will make a few comments.

Most comic shops end up going out of business. So that is a very hard business to make it in long term. You really got to know what you are doing and be able to make some hard decisions. Having Subway Manager experience will help you if you ever decide to go down that route.

As for depression, I can relate in the sense that I've had some troubles myself with that in the past. I'm 38 now (but look younger) and the best advice I can offer is to remember that people are more important than things. The biggest thing that helped me in regards to depression issues is getting girlfriend/serious relationship. So I would say work on that. Having a good hobby and developing lots of friends helps too. Feel free to reach out if you need any suggestions/advice.

If you're thinking about selling comics full time the only suggestion I have is going to your LCS and offering to work for free.

6 months of that and you will learn a lot more than what you can read on a comic book forum

Good Luck (thumbs u

Why am I posting this? I suppose I am reaching out. I hope its appropriate. I cant think of another avenue with this much exposure that might have an opportunity. Or even just advice. I currently live in Des Moines, IA, but would love to pick up and move somewhere else. I've thought about going out to California because that's where most of the action is. Anyways, I appreciate your attention, advice, and anything you'd like to contribute on this subject. Thanks all.

Three words: cost of living.

Here's a pretty handy tool to compare cost of living between various metros.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

From Des Moines, IA to Los Angeles, CA, cost of living increase is 56.24%. If you were making, $50,000, you would need $78,118 to maintain the same lifestyle.

From Des Moines, IA to San Francisco, CA, cost of living increase is 96.44%. If you were making, $50,000, you would need $98,218 to maintain the same lifestyle.

I suggest you consider your situation thoroughly before you make any decisions to move.

Plenty of dealers on these boards who are happy, and thumbs up to them.

+1 It is an extraordinary accomplishment to have not only grown and adapted over the years but to scale as large as these guys have i.e. Conan, new force, Dale, topnotchman, etc. etc. Living the dream they are indeed.

Just wanted to add OP; that is absolutely spectacular what an impact comics have had for you. Getting to travel to all of those shows, networking, meeting new people, etc. I wish I could do that. At this point in your life, when no one is depending on you, evaluating other scenarios and opportunities is a good thing (thumbs u

Three words: cost of living.

Here's a pretty handy tool to compare cost of living between various metros.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

From Des Moines, IA to Los Angeles, CA, cost of living increase is 56.24%. If you were making, $50,000, you would need $78,118 to maintain the same lifestyle.

From Des Moines, IA to San Francisco, CA, cost of living increase is 96.44%. If you were making, $50,000, you would need $98,218 to maintain the same lifestyle.

I suggest you consider your situation thoroughly before you make any decisions to move.

On the upside, I graduated from a public college in California, and my diploma is signed by Arnold Schwarzenneagar, and avocados are 2-4 for $1. So that's pretty nice. And comics stay the same price nationionwide, so they're actually 'cheaper' as a percentage of a California paycheck in general. Although one could argue that's worse for comic shop owners (gotta sell more to make rent).

Maybe you can do some comic related work on the side?

Such as hunting down slab worthy books at a good price, subbing them and flipping them on eBay. Or learning to press books and offering your services.

And then there's the creative end; drawing, writing, inking, coloring, etc. If you have enough of a passion you can learn anything.

Your not alone, I've been collecting comics for more than 40 years and not a day goes by that I don't think about opening a comic book store. Maybe when I'm sixty! Good luck to you and be happy with whatever you choose to do.

If living in Iowa is a downer for you, move. California is expensive, yes, buts it's warm and you're 27 with no obligations. Try something different. My wife was just in los angeles, ran into a lot of folks doing uber as a side hustle. As for being a dealer, capital is important. Most guys making a living at this have good stuff, which they usually have to pay for and they need cash to pounce ona deal. Making a living off $3-8 ebay profits is tough. Selling a $2000 book you paid $1700 for, on the other hand gets you 10% of the way to what you would have made at subway that month. Last nycc, while I was buying $300 of ho hum stuff, one dealer I have bought from a lot was working a $50000 or so deal with another big dealer. A lot of top notch stuff, that he will list for $65-75k plus. You need to spend money to make money!

Making $500 month profit is not hard, getting to a level that pays the bills is.

Anyway, I'm talking my typical nonsense. I've never had a year where I averaged more than $1500 a month in sales and that year it all went into buying and renovating my house. So I have no idea how to make this a $50k a year gig, although if I spent 14;hours a day at it I probably could.

I don't see it mentioned here. Consider contacting CGC to see if they'd offer you a position.

Perhaps an entry level position counting pages or quality control and work your way into grading. You'd see a lot of comics and it would be a challenging and possibly rewarding career.

Some very sage advice for the OP on here from some very experienced people. Just another reason why this Board site has become, in my mind, indispensable to the collecting community.....

To the OP; please make sure to read, then reread all of the advice you have been given here---some terrific thoughts have already been posted and I am sure there will be many more.

My sincere best wishes for your continued experience in this comic world!

On the upside, I graduated from a public college in California, and my diploma is signed by Arnold Schwarzenneagar, and avocados are 2-4 for $1. So that's pretty nice. And comics stay the same price nationionwide, so they're actually 'cheaper' as a percentage of a California paycheck in general. Although one could argue that's worse for comic shop owners (gotta sell more to make rent).

Alas, public colleges in California have significantly increased their cost. UCLA is around $35K a year with room and board for CA residents ($60K for non-residents). Also, it's Brown now, not Schwarzenegger. :gossip:

While comic prices are the same, the higher overhead is bound to take its toll. Probably easier to afford and store comics and have money to go to cons and stuff when one is paying $600-700 rent for a solo apartment than when it's $1000 and you're sharing with 2-3 others. Also, need to consider sales tax (goes as high as 10+% in certain localities) and state income tax.

And yeah, the higher COL is probably hard for comic shop owners who just rent space. Those who actually own the location for their comic shops in downtown areas are probably sitting on prime real estate and could afford to retire anytime if they sell the land. :D Granted, it's quite possible that the higher costs are offset by a much bigger customer base. hm

At 27 without any dependents, the OP can afford to take risks. I'm just saying he should do so with open eyes.

Alas, public colleges in California have significantly increased their cost. UCLA is around $35K a year with room and board for CA residents ($60K for non-residents). Also, it's Brown now, not Schwarzenegger. :gossip:

While comic prices are the same, the higher overhead is bound to take its toll. Probably easier to afford and store comics and have money to go to cons and stuff when one is paying $600-700 rent for a solo apartment than when it's $1000 and you're sharing with 2-3 others. Also, need to consider sales tax (goes as high as 10+% in certain localities) and state income tax.

And yeah, the higher COL is probably hard for comic shop owners who just rent space. Those who actually own the location for their comic shops in downtown areas are probably sitting on prime real estate and could afford to retire anytime if they sell the land. :D Granted, it's quite possible that the higher costs are offset by a much bigger customer base. hm

At 27 without any dependents, the OP can afford to take risks. I'm just saying he should do so with open eyes.

I agree, go watch La La land then move to LA. Drive for Uber, be a movie extra, date a would-be model/actress, live the dream! And if you build some connections with some bigger dealers, you can maybe volunteer to help them set up at shows.

I think EVERYONE should spend part of their youth living in either NY or LA. OR if you really want to shake up your life and start over, consider the military, you get a lot more options after that...

I'm glad you have your depression under control. It can be very insidious.

At 27, and being in the same job for many years, have you been able to save up much capital?

Money obviously won't solve all your problems but it opens many doors.

You have no kids, so nothing to hold you back. You manage a Subway, so you can do that pretty much anywhere you chose. Maybe you won't get a manager job, but you will be heads and shoulder above any other new hire the place will find.

Are you friendly with any comic shop owners? Few of them will turn down volunteer help.

Sit down and write out what you want to do and try to establish a timeline.

An example would be- In six months, I will move. Or in a year. You know yourself the best.

If you are a reader, try reading Jon Acuffs "Start ". If you aren't a reader, you should start. I don't know many successful people who don't love to read.

Best of luck.

I think EVERYONE should spend part of their youth living in either NY or LA. OR if you really want to shake up your life and start over, consider the military, you get a lot more options after that...

San Francisco or San Diego are pretty nice, too. For being a major metropolitan area though, San Diego has a really nice low-key, laid-back feel. :D

Both NY and SF have good public transportation systems. SoCal, public transpo is pretty bad so you do kinda need a car.

Also, like someone said, if you haven't already, find someone to love who loves you back.

You make it seem as easy as picking lemons from the fruit section of a grocery store.

Be careful before buying into the idea that it takes someone else to "complete" who you are.