• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are all the Fawcett collectors?!?

71 posts in this topic

i think the cover to Ibis #1 is one of the better GA covers. Fawcett had a great stable of cover artists, but i, like others, suspect the pricing is keeping most people away...

i think the cover to Ibis #1 is one of the better GA covers. Fawcett had a great stable of cover artists, but i, like others, suspect the pricing is keeping most people away...

A Rayboy cover, low grade (fair/Good), but still,.....Whiz Comics' Miracle Man!

Ibis the Invincible # 1

ibis1.jpg

And finally, another great WWII image:

801103-cm14.jpg

That's just a tremendous cover. Swazye (in this case) and Beck both knew their business -- the more I look at their work the more I appreciate it.

Where are all the Fawcett collectors?!?

Speaking as a collector who got his start as a kid in the late 70s / early 80s, both Fawcetts and EC's fell into that category of books that you could call "my father's comic collection". Meaning that even as a kid who was aware of vintage material at the time, I felt little connection to them compared to still-ongoing Marvel and DC runs, and they were areas well-mined by the previous generations of collectors. They were already fairly pricey and somehow just not as "exciting" to collect compared to silver age Marvels at a time when it seemed like the collecting community was buzzing about some new emerging key every month.

That said, I have a healthy appreciation for the books these days and have been thinking about picking up some Raboy Masters some day. Seems like many folks have the same idea, though - as I have run across relatively cheap Captain Marvels, Whiz, and others from time to time over the years, but the Raboy Master and Cap Marvel Jr covers are rarely among them.

I wonder - and I'm just thinking out loud here - if the "lesser" publishers of the GA are hurt by the lack of really top-notch villans. This could be my own ignorance at work here, but you rarely think of quality villans in the Timely, Nedor, Quality or Fawcett lines. Captain Marvel's two greatest villans were Sivana and a caterpillar, the name of which escapes me...

contrast that with DC, and its slate of top villans - in addition to the characters themselves - and it's a stark difference.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Captain Marvel's two greatest villans were Sivana and a caterpillar, the name of which escapes me...

Mr. Mind. And I have to say he's one of my favorite GA villians cloud9.gif

Mr. Mind was no caterpillar he was a worm, dammit! mad.gif

(Think Eddie Murphy as SNL's "I'm-Gumby-dammit" wink.gif)

The paucity of colorful villians in non-DC hero books has alot to do with making them largely less readable than the DC GA output, but DC and Timely books are more widely collected because the key heroes are so recognizable. Sure DC has revived Captain Marvel for over 30 years now - usually with limited success, and no one thinks of the GA version as in any way being a DC book.

I've always found it strange that other publishers didn't start using super-villians with more regularity after the japanazis had been vanquished.

Timely and others took a half-hearted stab at it, but most publishers had at best 1 or 2 recurrent villians to enliven their stories. Some like the Red Skull were used fairly sparingly, and other's like Sivana were practically co-stars (thinking of over-used villians I think it's about time DC put a moritorium on using the Joker for a while).

As for the collectibility of Fawcett's- while keys, war covers, Raboy covers and the horror and commie themed issues will probably always find a home - much of the late forties output always looked pretty juvenile - even by GA standards (Talky Tawny for example), and the number of GA collectors who are actually old enough to have fond memories of these books is pretty small. Given that the less interesting covers tend to sit in dealers boxes for longer, I think much of the GA collecting community thinks of these more prosaic issues when they think about Fawcett books at all, and as a result have little interest in exploring the publisher's output.

Captain Marvel's two greatest villans were Sivana and a caterpillar, the name of which escapes me...

Mr. Mind. And I have to say he's one of my favorite GA villians cloud9.gif

Mr. Mind was no caterpillar he was a worm, dammit! mad.gif

(Think Eddie Murphy as SNL's "I'm-Gumby-dammit" wink.gif)

Mr. Mind!

mr.mind.jpg

Dead.

And so, that concludes Proffesor F. Donut's seminar "Where are all the Fawcett Collectors?"..........Thank you all for coming, don't let the door hit you on your way out!

foreheadslap.gif

I've always wondered: Why were the Mighty Midget issues all numbered "11" or "12" ? confused-smiley-013.gif

Beats me, but I've wondered that myself. Anyone got an answer?

popcorn.gif

While you're at it, why were they printed in black, white, and red only?

I think it's pretty cool and different, actually. I read the Lance O'Casey about two weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Marc

As far as I'm concerned, there were few who were the peer of Mac Raboy in the Golden Age. I'm not a Fawcett or Captain Marvel collector, but man do I love Raboy's work on those characters. Here's the Lost Valley copy of Master Comics #27, which I consider to be his best cover (only beating out his other Master and Captain Marvel Jr. covers by a slight margin!). He was both a stunning penciller and an amazing inker. Who was a better inker than Raboy in the GA?

801756-master27_2.jpg

801756-master27_2.jpg.d4b4e918efdcfa1336ccf898a106d52a.jpg