• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are all the Fawcett collectors?!?

71 posts in this topic

Where are all the Fawcett collectors?!? Fawcett rivaled DC in production numbers with Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr., Whiz, ect. Featured characters like Ibis, Bullet Man, Spy Smasher,.........so where are the collectors?

I don't think I've seen a thread on Fawcett before,........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Post 'em if you got'em!

popcorn.gif

My one and only Fawcett superhero book.

799896-cmjr115.jpg

I can see why you have that one, great cover! Fawcett finally figured it out and put a number of wild monster type covers toward the end. Some, like yours, are just too good to pass up. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I love Fawcett comics. Lots of fun, definetly written for kids, but still clever and fun.

Overstreet has kind of priced them out of the market though, most Fawcett collectors are readers, and with just average issues "worth" $100+ most aren't buying. I always see them at shows and dealers just want too much for them. Anyway, I pickup reader copies when I can for reasonable prices.

I just read this one last night, a recent heritage win. It is really cool because Sivana convinces everyone that is has "gone good" and one of the things he does is get rid of all money, which is the "root of all evil" -- of course it is all a big trick, but the interesting thing is that is exactly what Alan Moore does at the end of Marvel/Miracleman when he creates is utopia. 15042025004o.jpg

Where are all the Fawcett collectors?!?

Dead? tongue.gif

While I'm sure there are few nice covers, this is one Publisher that I can see there being less and less interest in over the next several decades.

The bottom line is that:

1) Too similar in art and characters to DC

2) Covers, not exciting to grab Cover Collectors

3) And plenty of supply (so they aren't rare)

2) Covers, not exciting to grab Cover Collectors

Mac Raboy is one of the best cover artists of the Golden Age. His run on Master Comics is hard to beat.

As previously stated, perhaps Fawcetts are overvalued and therefore less sought after. I honestly can't come up with any other explanation for why we don't see more Fawcetts on the boards.

speaking of fawcett,the mile high whiz #1[#2] ..IS ONE OF THE WORLS MOST EXPENSIVE COMICS...SOLD 10 YEARS AGO FOR LIKE 190K?

geppi purchase

I won't disagree with the expensive part but the "sale" 10 years ago was mostly a trade. Nothing even close to 190k traded hands.

Overstreet has kind of priced them out of the market though

Sounds like the Fawcett collectors were turned off by the price increases, reducing a steady flow of transactions to a mere trickle.

I am here and have been buying Fawcetts for many years now! I love their characters and their great covers and stories such as the Captain Marvel Jr. Origin Trilogy in Master #22 Whiz #25 and Master 23! Those MacRaboy covers in Master and Captain Marvel Jr. are among the greatest in the Golden Age! THe fewer speculators and investors that drive up the prices of Fawcett comics or any other publishers comics for that matter the better for us collectors who truly love comics! Erik

The gem of all Fawcetts! In vein of full disclosure, unfortunately this is not mine. A friend owns it. This copy could probably be one of the highest graded copies around were it not for the fact that someone (no doubt a kid decades ago) took a razor blade or some sort of scissor and took a nice slice off the right side of the cover. 893whatthe.gif

Whiz1.jpg