• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thought this was worth posting: Want to keep LCS in business? Pick up your stuff
1 1

85 posts in this topic

4)adding titles I never asked for "We thought you would like these"

Speculating on a related title or a crossover issue is a good idea if the shop knows what you're into; it's easier to drop an extra in your bin, than having to reorder later if the book sells out. There should be no obligation to buy what you didn't ask for, though.

I am not "speculating" on anything, and NO it is NOT a good idea. It is ludicrous.

When I give my list in writing and some person decides they know better than me, that is NOT a service. It is a hard sell tactic that cost them a return customer.

He meant the shop was speculating. At times where I have overlooked new titles coming out I have appreciated a heads up from my LCS. Why not put it in the box so long as they point it out? If you're not interested, couldn't you tell them? Seems like you took this very hard when a conversation would have solved it.

Speculating on a related title or a crossover issue is a good idea if the shop knows what you're into; it's easier to drop an extra in your bin, than having to reorder later if the book sells out. There should be no obligation to buy what you didn't ask for, though.

I am not "speculating" on anything, and NO it is NOT a good idea. It is ludicrous.

When I give my list in writing and some person decides they know better than me, that is NOT a service. It is a hard sell tactic that cost them a return customer.

If there's no obligation for you to buy, how hard of a sell is it?

If my pull list has multiple Matt Fraction books in it, and they toss a copy of a new Matt Fraction book in my pickup stack with a "did you see this one?"note, isn't that customer service? It's no different than a suggestion at the register. Or "hey we saw you getting all the Civil War titles and crossovers, did you notice that She Hulk had a one issue tie in?"

We want comic shop owners/retailers to be good business people, but then crucify them for making an effort?

Now if they slip extra books in and try to make you think you ordered them, then yep thats horrible and I'd walk out.

Now I'd imaging that if you ask the retailer to put a note in your pull list file that says "no suggestions" they'd stop saving you suggested books.

Is this a new trend? Have stores always had thousands of dollars in unclaimed books or has the number greatly increased? I'm wondering if part of the problem stems from the crappy modern books lately and people just not wanting the books after reading the previous months (I'm not advocating not buying books you reserved).

The REAL threat is when you edit your pull list and the comic shop does not adjust their orders from Diamond.

Why aren't you picking up this book?

I edited my pull list and told you that in three months I would stop picking up that book. Three months have passed. I was serious.

100%

I've heard stories from friends who stopped their subscriptions with shops because they continually messed up their pull lists. It's frustrating as a consumer and sounds like it happens more than it should.

My old shop was great (Victory Comics in Falls Church, VA). Very responsive and organized. They made suggestions of stuff I liked, but never added anything after I told them not too. If I hadn't moved far enough away to the point where it wasn't convenient, I'd still go there.

I second all these emotions. I attempted to set up a pull list with a shop (not Victory) in the DC area a few years ago, but when they pulled out a legal pad of paper and a pencil I politely told the clerk I changed my mind as I could foresee all kinds of issues stemming from their record keeping. The shop I eventually went with used Comixology and I really appreciated how I could manage my lists from my computer. Never had any issues, and they even mailed my comics to me!

I no longer subscribe because I don't have the time and I wanted to pare down my collection. I was taking in way too many books that I honestly never read.

Was it Fantom? I used to have a pull list when they were in Union Station. Using Comixology to manage my pull list was great.

It was Fantom. They were always great to me to the point where I felt bad for stopping my subs. Since it sounds like you lived here, you likely can appreciate how much time and effort they saved me by shipping my books to me so I didn't have to go into the city from the 'burbs. I probably should have joined at Victory, but I had been with Fantom for a few years at that point as I used to live on the Hill when I was a swinging bachelor. I have yet to visit their Dupont Circle location though.

Not sure about the margins on new books, I've heard they're paper thin. So having credit cards for prepayment, and then by law being obligated to refund, seems like a rough spot for the store. I think the picture proves that having a pull list doesn't guarantee people coming in regularly, right? So why have a pull list? I would think that if the new issue collectors had to go to the store each week that their books were released, it would generate more traffic, lessen problems, etc.

The pull list is good because it gives the store a better idea of what customers want and more or less guarantees the customer will receive a copy of a comic he wants even if some jerk cleans out the store shelves to sell for $20+ on ebay. The problem isn't really pull lists themselves. Rather, it's the customers who abuse the system.

Also to blame, I guess, are comic shops who put comics the customer doesn't want in their pull box but not the comics they requested. I've never had this problem with my LCS in the first couple of months I used a pull list (via http://pulllist.comixology.com) prior to switching to preorder.

Policy at my LCS is pick up the pull list at least once a month, else they go back to the shelf. For stuff they don't normally carry (and possibly won't be able to sell to other customers), they require 100% prepayment. On the upside, they do offer 30% discount on DC/Marvel and 20% on other pubs for preorders with no minimums. Order forms due on the 18th, full prepayment required by end of the month.

I wish my LCS did this. They require the prepayment but only offer a 10% discount...no incentive for me to switch over from Midtown, as I'm ordering some pretty significant quantities each month.

Discounts via Diamond are tiered based on volume and seem to start at around 35%. For DC/Marvel, it should be easy to qualify for 50% discount (at $2.99/3.99 list price, estimate just need 300-350 comics minimum per publisher per month). Judging by products on shelves every Wednesday, I'm guessing my LCS qualifies for around 53-55% discount. That makes for 100+% markup if selling at cover. Alas, 100% markup on an item that cost them $1.50-2.00 is still just $1.50-2.00 so they need to make money by volume. Also, since comics are non-returnable, each comic not sold eats into profits and cash flow.

Guess that's probably why my LCS is willing to offer huge discounts on preorders. The more they purchase, the greater the Diamond discounts (ergo possibly lower cost for shelf copies) and there's no risk involved since they get payment upfront which also helps with their cash flow. That said, they probably need a minimum volume of orders to make the program worthwhile.

Midtown and DCBS probably qualify for like 60% discount. Since DCBS is a preorder only service, they carry very little risk.

January is the first month I'm receiving preorders and I must say, it's nice to just go in the store and not have to spend anything. Granted, I did just drop off my order form for March and will need to pay in full next week after they confirm my order total. Guess that's one positive to Marvel dropping digital codes from my comics. Price for my preorder went down from $150 list to just $90 after I removed/stopped sampling majority of Marvel's stuff. :D

Edited by aerischan

Is this a new trend? Have stores always had thous ands of dollars in unclaimed books or has the number greatly increased?

Human laziness and apathy are not a new trend. lol

The REAL threat is when you edit your pull list and the comic shop does not adjust their orders from Diamond.

Why aren't you picking up this book?

I edited my pull list and told you that in three months I would stop picking up that book. Three months have passed. I was serious.

100%

I've heard stories from friends who stopped their subscriptions with shops because they continually messed up their pull lists. It's frustrating as a consumer and sounds like it happens more than it should.

My old shop was great (Victory Comics in Falls Church, VA). Very responsive and organized. They made suggestions of stuff I liked, but never added anything after I told them not too. If I hadn't moved far enough away to the point where it wasn't convenient, I'd still go there.

I second all these emotions. I attempted to set up a pull list with a shop (not Victory) in the DC area a few years ago, but when they pulled out a legal pad of paper and a pencil I politely told the clerk I changed my mind as I could foresee all kinds of issues stemming from their record keeping. The shop I eventually went with used Comixology and I really appreciated how I could manage my lists from my computer. Never had any issues, and they even mailed my comics to me!

I no longer subscribe because I don't have the time and I wanted to pare down my collection. I was taking in way too many books that I honestly never read.

Was it Fantom? I used to have a pull list when they were in Union Station. Using Comixology to manage my pull list was great.

It was Fantom. They were always great to me to the point where I felt bad for stopping my subs. Since it sounds like you lived here, you likely can appreciate how much time and effort they saved me by shipping my books to me so I didn't have to go into the city from the 'burbs. I probably should have joined at Victory, but I had been with Fantom for a few years at that point as I used to live on the Hill when I was a swinging bachelor. I have yet to visit their Dupont Circle location though.

Yeah, I felt bad leaving them, too. After you mentioned ComiXology and the shipping option I had a feeling it was Fantom. I haven't visited the new location yet, but I still get the newsletters and keep up on what they are doing.

Victory was great, though.I didn't move too far away (Courthouse to Old Town), but having a kid limits the amount of free time and space I can dedicate to new releases, so I had to stop my subscription. Now I'll read digital or trades.

My experience here in my home town with the LCS is that they are all operated differently.

I LIKE when a LCS puts a related book or a tie in or something they think I might like into my file. I am under no obligation to purchase, but I like having the chance and more often than not I make the buy not only because I like the book but to support my LCS.

What I really hate is not getting the books on my pull list. It happens so often that I find I am always going to the LCS every new comic day in an effort to get what I want.

I stopped going to a LCS I had been a customer of for 20+ years because they couldn't do a good enough job of getting me my pull list. If I am ordering Thor, I expect to get all of them not 5 books of a 24 book run. ( yes that really happened! )

I really have no idea and that is why I ask this question. Do pull lists automatically include all of the 10 + variants for a particular book that month?

Guess it depends. With my LCS, whatever is on my Comixology pull list is exactly what I have in the pull box.

I really have no idea and that is why I ask this question. Do pull lists automatically include all of the 10 + variants for a particular book that month?

Guess it depends. With my LCS, whatever is on my Comixology pull list is exactly what I have in the pull box.

well one of the most basic tenets of even owning and operating a comic book store taking care of your subscribers, and even more important than discounts or getting them the high grade comics (if they want them) is the holding the right effing books for them if they pre-order them. If they can't do that, they don't deserve your business and probably shouldn't even be in business. Otherwise, what's the freaking point???

But I absolutely agree that customers should pick up their freaking books regularly, for which they should be charged after one week even if they don't pick them up, and then put back on the shelf after a month without contact.

They're a store, not a storage unit for your back issues.

I think you're taking this really hard. I for one like when my shop helps me out.

I'm a busy guy. I don't have time to look at all the upcoming releases (nor do I even want too). I like when my shop says 'hey, I know you like Daredevil. We noticed he was on the cover and featured in the current Amazing Spiderman issue so we thought you may want a headsup, its in your sub.'

THATS great customer service to me.

If there is no obligation to buy (and there wouldn't be, lets be honest here), I think there doing a nice, proactive thing. Just my 2 cents I guess.

But I absolutely agree that customers should pick up their freaking books regularly, for which they should be charged after one week even if they don't pick them up, and then put back on the shelf after a month without contact.

Imho, way too harsh. I like the way my LCS does it. They require pick up at least once a month for pull list afterwards, comics go back on the shelf. Imho, that's pretty fair since it gives sufficient time for the customer to pick up their order (and maybe make the trip worthwhile if they're only getting 1-2 comics a week) while still allowing enough time for the LCS to rack copies that haven't been picked up.

For prepaid, preorder items, they hold the item longer (3 months after arrival?) after which if you don't contact them and they can't contact you, the ownership of the item reverts to the store (and the LCS does make you sign a form where you fill in contact info and agree to the terms of service).

Imho, way too harsh. I like the way my LCS does it. They require pick up at least once a month for pull list afterwards, comics go back on the shelf. Imho, that's pretty fair since it gives sufficient time for the customer to pick up their order (and maybe make the trip worthwhile if they're only getting 1-2 comics a week) while still allowing enough time for the LCS to rack copies that haven't been picked up.

For prepaid, preorder items, they hold the item longer (3 months after arrival?) after which if you don't contact them and they can't contact you, the ownership of the item reverts to the store (and the LCS does make you sign a form where you fill in contact info and agree to the terms of service).

I think holding it longer is fine, its just the lack of contact that gets me. Its pretty effing easy to contact your store now. Hit their tweetface or instagrind account or email or snaptwitch or call or text or hell send a letter. I get that people have issues like kids, jobs, sickness, injuries, death, travel, etc. But as long as everyone keeps everyone informed, its cool, hold it indefinitely then.

Of course the store should make the terms super clear (and keep a signed contract) and keep sending notices before they charge the card on file and before they stop holding the comics.

Not sure about the margins on new books, I've heard they're paper thin. So having credit cards for prepayment, and then by law being obligated to refund, seems like a rough spot for the store. I think the picture proves that having a pull list doesn't guarantee people coming in regularly, right? So why have a pull list? I would think that if the new issue collectors had to go to the store each week that their books were released, it would generate more traffic, lessen problems, etc.

The pull list is good because it gives the store a better idea of what customers want and more or less guarantees the customer will receive a copy of a comic he wants even if some jerk cleans out the store shelves to sell for $20+ on ebay. The problem isn't really pull lists themselves. Rather, it's the customers who abuse the system.

Also to blame, I guess, are comic shops who put comics the customer doesn't want in their pull box but not the comics they requested. I've never had this problem with my LCS in the first couple of months I used a pull list (via http://pulllist.comixology.com) prior to switching to preorder.

Policy at my LCS is pick up the pull list at least once a month, else they go back to the shelf. For stuff they don't normally carry (and possibly won't be able to sell to other customers), they require 100% prepayment. On the upside, they do offer 30% discount on DC/Marvel and 20% on other pubs for preorders with no minimums. Order forms due on the 18th, full prepayment required by end of the month.

I wish my LCS did this. They require the prepayment but only offer a 10% discount...no incentive for me to switch over from Midtown, as I'm ordering some pretty significant quantities each month.

Discounts via Diamond are tiered based on volume and seem to start at around 35%. For DC/Marvel, it should be easy to qualify for 50% discount (at $2.99/3.99 list price, estimate just need 300-350 comics minimum per publisher per month). Judging by products on shelves every Wednesday, I'm guessing my LCS qualifies for around 53-55% discount. That makes for 100+% markup if selling at cover. Alas, 100% markup on an item that cost them $1.50-2.00 is still just $1.50-2.00 so they need to make money by volume. Also, since comics are non-returnable, each comic not sold eats into profits and cash flow.

Guess that's probably why my LCS is willing to offer huge discounts on preorders. The more they purchase, the greater the Diamond discounts (ergo possibly lower cost for shelf copies) and there's no risk involved since they get payment upfront which also helps with their cash flow. That said, they probably need a minimum volume of orders to make the program worthwhile.

Midtown and DCBS probably qualify for like 60% discount. Since DCBS is a preorder only service, they carry very little risk.

January is the first month I'm receiving preorders and I must say, it's nice to just go in the store and not have to spend anything. Granted, I did just drop off my order form for March and will need to pay in full next week after they confirm my order total. Guess that's one positive to Marvel dropping digital codes from my comics. Price for my preorder went down from $150 list to just $90 after I removed/stopped sampling majority of Marvel's stuff. :D

Don't forget shipping, which adds up quickly. Also, in the past, Diamond was very quick to put shops on a COD basis if they fell behind on bills. Paying an additional $10 or so a box is killer.

When I managed the shop in San Juan, all our books came UPS COD. While we qualified for over 50% discounts, after shipping it was closer to 20%. Without our secret sauce, we never would have survived.

I think holding it longer is fine, its just the lack of contact that gets me. Its pretty effing easy to contact your store now. Hit their tweetface or instagrind account or email or snaptwitch or call or text or hell send a letter. I get that people have issues like kids, jobs, sickness, injuries, death, travel, etc. But as long as everyone keeps everyone informed, its cool, hold it indefinitely then.

Of course the store should make the terms super clear (and keep a signed contract) and keep sending notices before they charge the card on file and before they stop holding the comics.

The business of selling comics is one of the only businesses in the world that I know of that gives interest free loans, indefinitely, with no pre-approval almost across the board.

Whether it's time payments or lay away on new comics, it's crazy when you think about it.

And that is likely because there is a high level of trust among customers, but if you're running a thin margin business it can be scary as soon as a few people don't pay up.

The business of selling comics is one of the only businesses in the world that I know of that gives interest free loans, indefinitely, with no pre-approval almost across the board.

Whether it's time payments or lay away on new comics, it's crazy when you think about it.

And that is likely because there is a high level of trust among customers, but if you're running a thin margin business it can be scary as soon as a few people don't pay up.

That's what I'm saying...be friendly and considerate, but reasonably protect yourself too.

That's what I'm saying...be friendly and considerate, but reasonably protect yourself too.

Unfortunately, most dealers are dealers out of passion and not business school grads (although there are many of those as well).

Anyhow, I thought the article would create some good conversation and it looks to be positive. :applause: