• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is color rub CGC's FOTM for downgrades on high grade books?

11 posts in this topic

Over the last year I have submitted several books that looked very solid and I expected a 9.6 or 9.8 on both. No noticeable spine ticks, good corners, no color breaks etc. They looked to be very nice books. Both came back 9.4 with the only not as mild color rub on back cover.

What have you been seeing?

Color rubs have always been downgraded by CGC. What do you expect them to do, loosen up and give you 9.8's with color rub ? How do you think the buyer of a 9.8 with color rub will feel. Downgrading for a color rub is not grading loose, that's grading accurately.

I think the gray area is whether or not it is a manufacturing defect or caused at some point afterwards. CGC is still in a tough spot when it comes to ignoring manufacturing defects.. I don't agree with it but they needed to standardize it and decided on no grade impact. They've set the precedent to ignore certain things all while manufacturing quality has certainly not been able to fix those problems or chooses not to.

I think the gray area is whether or not it is a manufacturing defect or caused at some point afterwards. CGC is still in a tough spot when it comes to ignoring manufacturing defects.. I don't agree with it but they needed to standardize it and decided on no grade impact. They've set the precedent to ignore certain things all while manufacturing quality has certainly not been able to fix those problems or chooses not to.

Well-said. I see it as a consistency issue.

I have no issue with the grading. Just with a few books at first I was very puzzled with the grade given the apparent book condition. Furthermore, I do not know how to take color rub into account at this point when I grade books. How much color rub is going to be counted against the grade, and to what degree? Is a very small rub OK? What size rub is large enough to effect the book grade? How does a 1/4 inch rub effect the grade as opposed to a 1/2 inch area or rub for example. That type of thing.

I have no issue with the grading. Just with a few books at first I was very puzzled with the grade given the apparent book condition. Furthermore, I do not know how to take color rub into account at this point when I grade books. How much color rub is going to be counted against the grade, and to what degree? Is a very small rub OK? What size rub is large enough to effect the book grade? How does a 1/4 inch rub effect the grade as opposed to a 1/2 inch area or rub for example. That type of thing.

Replace the word 'color rub' above and replace it with any of the following and you will still have the same questions. I mean, it's not like they publish standards. It's always a tough call. That's why they offer prescreen.

---- Tear

---- Stain

---- Crease

Etc Etc Etc

Replace the word 'color rub' above and replace it with any of the following and you will still have the same questions. I mean, it's not like they publish standards. It's always a tough call. That's why they offer prescreen.

---- Tear

---- Stain

---- Crease

Etc Etc Etc

Yea, for 25 books at once :tonofbricks:

Jerome

Color rubs have always been downgraded by CGC. What do you expect them to do, loosen up and give you 9.8's with color rub ? How do you think the buyer of a 9.8 with color rub will feel. Downgrading for a color rub is not grading loose, that's grading accurately.

Exactly. No book should get a 9.8 that doesn't look flawless at first glance, I don't care how the flaws got there. The defects should be so minor as to require careful observation.