• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100 Page Super Spectaculars

18 posts in this topic

"Worlds Greatest Superheroes"

Yeah that is a toughie all right.

I remember when I scored Adventure Comics #416.I didn't even *know* that Adventure had gotten honored in such a fashion until I went looking around ebay.

I bid less than $40 I believe for my NM copy about 5 years ago.Probably not a particularly glamorous item,but, I always did get jazzed whenever DC did anything with a large amount of white on the cover.When I was a kid growing up in Anchorage,those white covers were always the warmest welcome mats,even in the middle of our winters...

Took me forever to get the Young Love 114. I had to pay way over guide to win one at the All Star auction in 2002! frown.gif

Ah, those 100-Pagers!

The first one I got was the final of the original series, #22 featuring the Flash. It is very common, but if you don't have it, check it out because its lettercol lists the contents for all the Super-Specs from #4 to #22.

#4 Weird Mystery Tales is very hard to find in nice condition.

The later Super-Specs, those within the numbering of the series themselves, have some highlights

Detective Comics 438-443 with new stories featuring the Manhunter (my Avatar of course) by Goodwin & Simonson. These had the best covers of all the super-specs.

Batman 255. Neal Adams' last artwork on a Batman story.

Brave & Bold 112-117. Some of the better Haney/Aparo Batman teamup stories, with a very nice selection of reprints.

Justice League 110-114. The tail end of the great Len Wein & Dillin/Giordano period. Some nice JSA reprints from the Golden Age.

None of these latter-day super-specs is particularly expensive or hard to come by, which is nice for anyone looking to obtain a great value!

Cheers,

Z.

Still looking for a 5, 9, 11 and 12. Probably never get the 5, too much $. But, strange things happen to a collector when it's the last one you need. grin.gif

Not sure which is my favorite, I haven't read them yet. But I will get around to them some day.

Yo, what is your minimum grades that you need as I have multiples of everything except the 5. I do have a CGC 9.0 copy of 5. shocked.gif

A question -- does the book referenced in Bronze's post above really quality to any of you as a VF? It has a huge fold in the upper right corner and wear across the top. How would you grade it?

Corner folds are perplexing me because the OS grading guide isn't consistent on them. In text for VF (I believe) it says no corner folds, but there's a picture of a VF comic that has a corner fold. My guide is at home, but it anyone wants, I'll post cites to the pages later. Or maybe start a whole new thread...

I am going by memory 'cause I can't find my overstreet (actually I'm too lazy to look for it) but I do remember that even a Fine can't have ANY serious creasing. To me, that crease qualifies as serious. That together with the other defects would lead me to believe this comic is at best a Fine - . No way is this a Very Fine. mad.gif