• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Two-In-One CGC 9.8

15 posts in this topic

There was one on eBay a few years ago offered by "cd4ever" but the auction was ended early to apparently facilitate an off-eBay deal.

That book was off-centered so this one looks better. The top bidder loves 9.8 books.

So that means there's two of them. Smart move to get the comic on eBay before the census is updated.

You're right about 711crap. He's a real bronze fan. He's bought a lot of stuff from me over the years and lives in Hawaii. I was his first eBay transaction ever.

I have yet to find a grail copy of this comic cause either the book's not high grade or the printing is off by a bit. This one is straight, but there is still white on the spine.

Joe

The other one had much more white on the spine. The seller conferred with me first regarding the sale of it and I got big scans from him. I alerted bronzebruce13 but he wasn't too keen about the centering so he passed.

Since it was sold off-eBay, I have no idea what it sold for but I recall the seller mentioning that he was looking in the $800 range. This was around 2 years ago and the market for certain top census books seems to keep rising for whatever reason so it may hit 4 figures.

I don't know Zach's proxy bid but it's usually pretty high!

Yes, Zach is definitely willing to pay for books he wants. I was going to go for this Marvel Team-Up #11 - nice-centering, etc - but could not believe what it closed for.

Marvel Team-Up 11

As for this MTIO #1, I'm definitely passing cause of the spine. I'd have no problem dropping a grand for one with a perfect spine. I think a 9.6 copy of MTIO #1 sold on comiclink for $650 or $675 a couple years back, so I agree this could hit four figures easily.

Joe

That's Marvel Two- on -One... gossip.gif

This is one of Marvel's famous "mistake" covers. I think the Marvel No-Prize Book is where I saw this issue listed. The correct title is Marvel Two-In-One, but at the left of the stripe on top of the cover it erroneously states, "Marvel Two-On-One."

Joe

That's Marvel Two- on -One... gossip.gif

This is one of Marvel's famous "mistake" covers. I think the Marvel No-Prize Book is where I saw this issue listed. The correct title is Marvel Two-In-One, but at the left of the stripe on top of the cover it erroneously states, "Marvel Two-On-One."

Joe

Yup. No-prize was where I read it first too... thumbsup2.gif

And I appreciated it Greg. thumbsup2.gif

I just could not pull the trigger on that copy for that price knowing it could not be a final "keeper" for me and that I would look to replace it, but I was going to try and win it for less when it was posted for sale on eBay.

Although the owner did not acknowledge the off-line buyer when asked... it was Nathanson who he ended the auction for. Then the book was flipped to Schmell (as was a regular pattern back then). Later, Comgeek bought a large lot of CGC books from Doug and half were sold to me eventually including the same M 2-1 9.8. I paid more for it at that point, but specifically bought it to sell to one of two guys that told me they would pay a premium for the only copy if I came by it. Zach ended up with it. He likes the current copy better (obviously) and is hoping to win it for less to "same-grade upgrade" and cost average his purchases down.

This book in 9.6W, (when centered nicely) was pulling $500-$575ish originally, but then an eBay seller had 5 off-center copies return graded 9.6 which he sold in a short span (at a high of $461 and a low of $370 that the final copy received).

That sudden injection of HG supply (and the fact that they were not "eye appeal" standouts) were largely responsible IMHO for values having dropped subsequently to the $300 range. (even on recent nicely centered copies)

This 9.8 will go 4 figures, probably to Zach. Then that off-center 9.8 will be available yet again i would imagine. I might even take another poke at it, but Zach's hard to beat. BTW... I think that small amount of white on the edge is more than acceptable for a keeper in my book.

I've noticed a similar pattern and market reaction with Defenders 1 and Marvel Feature 1 in 9.6 also. They both had a pretty steady value until there was a short, but noticeable increase in available 9.6 copies primarily from one source. Then they dipped too for a span, the MF1 more severely than the Defenders 1. After a gap in public offerings however, the books are rebounding.

I've noticed with new collectors entering the hobby regularly coupled with a decent gap in time without a public offering of a "previously oversupplied in a short time" item... it's usually a recipe for a rebound. Books that don't follow this pattern and remain in sight/available somewhat regularly often don't fare as well. (like Marvel 2-1 9.6 thus far). If there is a gap of 6-9+ months though, I bet one sells $400ish+ and starts a climb if supply remains spread out.

The other one had much more white on the spine. The seller conferred with me first regarding the sale of it and I got big scans from him. I alerted bronzebruce13 but he wasn't too keen about the centering so he passed.

Since it was sold off-eBay, I have no idea what it sold for but I recall the seller mentioning that he was looking in the $800 range. This was around 2 years ago and the market for certain top census books seems to keep rising for whatever reason so it may hit 4 figures.

I don't know Zach's proxy bid but it's usually pretty high!

i just could not pull the trigger on that copy for that price knowing it could not be a final "keeper" for me...

This is exactly the way I feel about this one. I have a killer raw 9.4 that I bought for $5 fifteen years ago, so until a centered 9.8 comes along, that is the copy I will be happy with. This comic and Marvel Team-Up #1 have proven to be virtually impossible to find in true high grade with no printing defects. The search goes on!

By the way, didn't a MTIO #1 9.6 sell for $675 on comiclink a couple years ago? I'm going from memory only here.

Joe

Hey Joe,

Nice to meet ya'

Its quite possible, I was going off GPA and my own private data. Similar to GPA, I don't record many CL sales for various reasons and won't integrate them into my custom databases. I did have a small CL database of "posssible" HG bronze key sales but I'm not very dilligent with it and did not cross-reference it before my post. I may start up again on only 9.6/9.8 bronze.

Anyway, If your tastes find even very small straight miswraps unacceptable, i can see where you may have a very long wait trying to find 9.6/9.8's of certain books. I finally found a MTU 1 9.6 that was well-centered. Tough book. I came across another in my travels with a 1/8" straight white miswrap (sold to Zach), but I would have happily accepted that one had i found it first considering how tough this book is to find structurally worthy of a NM+ grade. There are actually at least (2) 9.8's owned by Landsman and Brulato.. but I've never seen them.

edit: actually now i realize who you are...JB (superbatman60)... hi.gif

We've had (2) private deals according to my records. Nice to chat with you again.

brad, that's probably around a VG to VG+ -- the multiple color breaking creases on the bottom corner are what get you the most.

as for that slabbed 9.8 -- aren't there stress lines around the top staple and some blunting on the bottom right corner? or are my eyes deceiving me?

Hey Joe,

Nice to chat with you again.

Hey, nice to talk to you again! thumbsup2.gif I think the last time was over an eBay auction, and it looks like the next time will be at the Wizard World Philly dinner. I look forward to it. Your knowledge of bronze books is impressive, and I'm glad we have guys like you and Greg who write things down. I don't write ANYTHING down.

By the way, did anyone see what this puppy closed for???

$1530.00!!!!!!!! with Zach (711crap), as predicted, the winner!

893whatthe.gif

Joe