• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB Long Shot- Pre Robin Detectve Batman

19 posts in this topic

So, I am wondering if any forumites have a pre-Detective 38 in "whole" condition. I am not lookig for higher grades. Just a presentable book with decent page quality (brittle or brown need not apply smile.gif). Cream or cream - ow is fine.

Restoration is fine as long as what has been done is revealed. And for the kicker - looking for below 1K. Anyone?

::edited subject from Long-hot to Long Shot Oy!)

[#@$%!!!]. Me.

All right what the HECK is going on here? "c k" is now transformed into a curse word? I had said the letter C followed by the letter K - an in em-kay. To say to the previous two posters that "you mock me".

And [#@$%!!!] (yes, that is just c...k without the spaces) is censored? WTH??

[#@$%!!!]. Me.

All right what the HECK is going on here? "c k" is now transformed into a curse word? I had said the letter C followed by the letter K - an in em-kay. To say to the previous two posters that "you mock me".

confused.gifscrewy.gif

[#@$%!!!]. Me.

confused.gifscrewy.gif

I notified Arch - hope he has an answer - why c k is turned into [#@$%!!!] is WAY beyond me!

[#@$%!!!]. Me.

confused.gifscrewy.gif

I notified Arch - hope he has an answer - why c k is turned into [#@$%!!!] is WAY beyond me!

Huh?

[#@$%!!!]. Me.

confused.gifscrewy.gif

Huh?

It is simple - just type the letters c and k with no spaces in between as a reply. See what you get.

[#@$%!!!]

Huh. That is weird. Mayby it has something to do with so many naughty words ending with those two letters.

I wonder if any other 2-word combinations activate the filter like that.

So, I am wondering if any forumites have a pre-Detective 38 in "whole" condition. I am not lookig for higher grades. Just a presentable book with decent page quality (brittle or brown need not apply smile.gif). Cream or cream - ow is fine.

Ah, this brings back good and bad memories. Good, because at age 17 I had Detective 35, 36, and 39 and bad because I want them back! Sold them to Harley at age 19 after I moved to California.

I think Detective 39 is a real gem. The last Detective without Robin for a long time. Can't stand that kid! Was is Jules Feiffer who said that they added Robin so the kids have someone to relate to but he didn't buy it. We could aspire to be Batman, but Robin was obviously impossible. We'd never be that kid!

I believe they had commissioned the story for 39 before 38 then rushed the Robin origin into print out of sequence.

So Michael, if you can't find pre-38s, settle for 39...

Marc

I'm pretty sure Robin is in #39. He's certainly on the cover.

Geez, you're right. Can't trust those 15-year-old memories. Maybe I was thinking of the Hugo Strange story in Batman #1.

You know, thinking about it more, I think it was more that the story was still similar enough in tone to pre-Robin (hatchet murders, giant idols, Chinese with scimitars) that I just "imagined" Robin right out of the story. A couple issues later, IMHO, the tone gets a lot lighter and the puns start flying.

Marc