• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vancouver Comic Show - Feb.26 2017
2 2

60 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2017 at 8:55 AM, aardvark88 said:

fyi, there is a color pic of ex-Rx Comics employee (big Nick) :o in today's freebie Metro (or 24?) paper page 1.

Yes, saw that picture and write-up in the morning Metro paper.  Certainly good to hear that they are going to be able to keep the shop going.  (thumbsu

And I thought residential home prices were going through the roof at a clip of 25% to 50% per year, although we should be seeing a bit of decline this year.  Sounds as though there is no looking back for commercial and industrial property values as they are continuing to motor along at a 40% and higher clip per year, with no apparent relief in sight.  :blush:

18 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

uoy deen ot krow no ruoy sdrawkcab gnilleps!

And sweet stickers, hoping to be there Sunday!

^^  you are a better magician's assistant than I am! xD 

see you around in the show!

Thought I should ask for some  helpful advice from sellers at this show.  I will be a first time vendor at this show.   I've been lazy so I'm just starting to pull things out of my collection to bring to the show.  I noticed some vendors have their comics priced out with sticky notes, labels, etc.  while some just use the price guide to give you the price when asked.

My question is will sales be much worse if buyers don't see price tags?

I'm guessing it would...

Sam

1 hour ago, Comicsam said:

Thought I should ask for some  helpful advice from sellers at this show. My question is will sales be much worse if buyers don't see price tags?

I'm guessing it would...

Sam

Recommend bulk pricing or color code /price labelling your comics in stacks or long boxes if it is taking you too long to price individually. e.g. $10 box, $5 stack, $1 or $2 :angel: blow out comics. Better or key nm comics in mylites and need to be priced even if just on the back of the bag.

Chilly weather but hopefully no rain on Sunday for the Van Comic Show. I will be bringing 2 fresh long boxes of $1 blow out comics, etc. :whatev:

Big media guests announced like William Shatner (Star Trek tv, movies) and Gene Simmons (KISS) who will be appearing in downtown Vancouver's newer convention Center next weekend as part of the Jr President's con. At first, I thought they were in Vancouver for the grand opening of T rump's downtown hotel next week.

Was a bit worried with the increase in competition due to about 40-45 extra vendor's tables being added to the expanded Van Comic Show but the attendance seemed to be about 20% higher than the previous high, thus retail sales were stable. There was a steady 1.5 hr line up to get in after 11 a.m. Some folks lined up before 10:30 a.m. Other collectors who lined up later at noon still had to wait over 20 mins. to enter the con.

There was a steady 5 person line up for the entire con for Voldemort grading service who was literally up on a stage along the back wall. 1 of their reps told me they were happy with the Vancouver crowd and support of their services (greater than at Van Fan Expo).

Thanks to greggy who gave me a mercy :martini: buy of an Archie 45 rpm record after he grabbed a nm DC Comics Presents comic and a UK b/w compilation book from me for way below market value. Thanks to ComicSam who sold me a Hero for Hire #1 for a reasonable price. Thanks to Fan Boy for the SA Kirby purchase, and selling me some low priced :x Archie comics.

Today at the Vancouver Comic Book Show was great all day. With the expanded 2-room version was interesting to me. My friend and me had moved to a better location, which did bring us few extra sales.  Like aardvark had said, through interpreting we were told of how long the line outside waited to be entered. I saw the line through the doors and was about 1/3 longer than the past attendance. 

The sales was good. Sold WWBN 32 for a good price, sold lots of $1 books. The Archie digest-loving family man took all the remaining digests for about the same price what we paid. Sold many mini keys as well. 

Thanks to aardvark, I get this Kirby book. I found a few early Millie books :luhv: by special delivery to me. Got one more early Jughead book to cross off my WTB list. Another good day! I'll be back in June. 

We continued with our mission to move the most books in the room, and succeeded. Moreover, as an experiment we left all the good books at home and only brought low end books. Cheap sets, and trash books made up the bulk of our 2 tables. And sales soared well beyond the last show, which in itself was a new record for us at the time.  

many other dealers complained about slow sales. When their books are priced multiple times above the Current eBay sales, I wonder what part of the code they have trouble cracking. 

7 hours ago, Flatliner1313 said:

We continued with our mission to move the most books in the room, and succeeded. Moreover, as an experiment we left all the good books at home and only brought low end books. Cheap sets, and trash books made up the bulk of our 2 tables. And sales soared well beyond the last show, which in itself was a new record for us at the time.  

many other dealers complained about slow sales. When their books are priced multiple times above the Current eBay sales, I wonder what part of the code they have trouble cracking. 

Congrats with your sales on the low end books and cheap sets to get a new record. We also set a new record from the last show, only because of the WWBN sale. Never knew there were a few "werewolves" lurking in the show xD

I hope to find more new comics to restock the few empty boxes I have after this show yesterday. Does that mean I have trouble cracking part of the code? :baiting:

My friend and I hit the show about 11:30 and, though the lineup stretched halfway across the parking lot, only had to wait about ten minutes to get in as the two girls handling admission did a great job keeping things moving.

It was my first time at this show and I brought $500 in case I saw anything I liked up on the walls (preferably slabbed). But it seemed most of the graded stuff was either mid-grade or really overpriced (I've been spoiled by the sales threads here).

The main room with the artists' alley and CBCS on stage was laid out well and, despite the crowd, was relatively easy to navigate. The other room was worse, though, with narrow aisles jammed with attendees fighting to get past anyone foolish enough to stop and try to browse a vendor's table.

Stayed for about an hour and a half and left with $500 still sitting in my wallet, but it was a great way to spend a Sunday (only $8 with free parking) and I will be back!

11 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Was a bit worried with the increase in competition due to about 40-45 extra vendor's tables being added to the expanded Van Comic Show but the attendance seemed to be about 20% higher than the previous high, thus retail sales were stable. There was a steady 1.5 hr line up to get in after 11 a.m. Some folks lined up before 10:30 a.m. Other collectors who lined up later at noon still had to wait over 20 mins. to enter the con.

There was a steady 5 person line up for the entire con for Voldemort grading service who was literally up on a stage along the back wall. 1 of their reps told me they were happy with the Vancouver crowd and support of their services (greater than at Van Fan Expo).

Thanks to greggy who gave me a mercy :martini: buy of an Archie 45 rpm record after he grabbed a nm DC Comics Presents comic and a UK b/w compilation book from me for way below market value. Thanks to ComicSam who sold me a Hero for Hire #1 for a reasonable price. Thanks to Fan Boy for the SA Kirby purchase, and selling me some low priced :x Archie comics.

After taking aardvark88's advice on pricing I was able to haul a few boxes to the show.   I thought the show was excellent, lots of traffic in both rooms.  The mix of toys and comic vendors was nice.

I even had greggy buy some comics at my table... he offered such a fair price I didn't even get to haggle with him.

Sam

Spoke to Nick, ex-Rx Comics staff: their new comics shop will have a soft opening March 1, 2017 meaning they are still renovating the space and cleaning up. Will be called '8th Dimension Comics' as they are on Main St near 8th Ave/Kingsway plus a tribute to Buckaroo Banzai's rally of 'forward to the 8th Dimension.' I gave Nick a b/w still from one of his fave movies Buckaroo Banzai for the shop.

Even though admission went up to $8 each (free for kids), attendance still went up. Draw prizes up to $100 comicon credit plus

Spoiler
Spoiler

$100 Langley, BC Toy store credit.

Next Van Comic Show will be on Father's Day Sun. June 18, 2017. :busy: Hope to see you all there.

1 minute ago, aardvark88 said:

Spoke to Nick, ex-Rx Comics staff: their new comics shop will have a soft opening March 1, 2017 meaning they are still renovating the space and cleaning up. Will be called '8th Dimension Comics' as they are on Main St near 8th Ave/Kingsway plus a tribute to Buckaroo Banzai's rally of 'forward to the 8th Dimension.' I gave Nick a b/w still from one of his fave movies Buckaroo Banzai for the shop.

Even though admission went up to $8 each (free for kids), attendance still went up. Draw prizes up to $100 comicon credit plus

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

$100 Langley, BC Toy store credit.

Next Van Comic Show will be on Father's Day Sun. June 18, 2017. :busy: Hope to see you all there.

A Correction on this, the Soft Opening is actually end of March. 

fyi, the corrected date for Fraser Valley Hobby and Toy show flyer is Sunday March 19/17 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. general admission. Discounted rate for 2 center 6' tables are $75/pair, 2 center 8' tables are $80/pair, single wall tables a bit aggressively priced at 6' $80, 8' table $90. Inaugural toy and comic con in Pitt Meadows, BC.

https://allevents.in/pitt meadows/fraser-valley-hobby-and-toy-show/1393943853997295

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

Attendance at Van Comic Show was over 1,000 people. Lots of comic events happening in the Vancouver area this month:

Sunday March 12/17 HH con in East Vancouver.

Sunday March 19/17 Victoria Comic Expo, plus new 2 floor Fraser Valley Hobby and Toy show at Pitt Meadows Heritage Hall.

Sat. March 25/17 Scottish Cult. Ctr Pop Culture show in South Vancouver. 

Did some restocking at today's modest HH comicon. The 3 biggest comics dealers (Jigglypig Chad, Nels, Bob K) all drove up to the one day Red and White Show in Calgary.

I (along with 3 other vendors from Sunday's HH con) will be selling at Fraser Valley Hobby and toy show Sunday March 19, 2017 at 12460 Harris Rd, Pitt Meadows. Supposed to be only 1 block south of Lougheed Hwy at the big intersection with Harris Rd so collectors, fans, and vendors do not get lost. 60 vendor's tables sold out.

FHz2F6bh.jpg