• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Trek, which series was the best?

69 posts in this topic

Hands down DS9 to me. Easily the best written, best acted, and best ensemble cast IMHO. I also think the best Trek episode ever is from DS9, In The Pale Moonlight. It's one of my favorite shows ever even though I feel the ending was a huge disservice. With any shows with this many episodes there are going to be lows but by in large I loved it.

I'm not old enough to care about the original series, it has not aged well, and while maybe for its day it was as good as contemporaries were in terms of acting, but I think minus a couple of exceptions the acting is awful. I will say that the films are vastly better than the episodes too, though in saying that I don't love them either. they are just watchable. That said, I don't get what people see in Wrath of Khan minus that I find it hilarious in small bits where some I guess find it great, serious, and complex. I view the original series in the way I view something like Batman '66, which I understand holds a special place in people's heart, mostly perhaps due to a lack of options, but that show is unwatchable to me. Context needs to be given to older material but it does not effect what I actually like sitting down and watching.

I like Next Generation well enough. I think this had an advantage of being on all the time during a time where still, there wasn't a whole lot out there if you were into SF, and then had enough episodes where they could run these almost constantly. Stewart is such a steady actor he makes everything at least almost watchable in the way Shatner does not for me. I also think it had both pronounced highs and lows, and a lot of the stuff with Wesley Crusher was awful. Still, all in all, a show that was pretty damn good, loved the cast, and had very high highs. It's very easy for me to see why people may love this iteration and I, for the most part, do too. I think Next Gen nails the finish in a way the others do not.

Voyager just never interested me. There's certain elements that just fundamentally I railed against. One being I really disliked the Maquis from DS9. Don't get me wrong, I liked some of the episodes that revolved around them just because the cast of DS9 was so strong and it was so well written but they weren't my favorites and the dynamic of the mix was something that didn't appeal to me. I would have pushed them out of a hatch. I think the characters are weaker, I don't think it gets better, even though many friends of mine who cover SF point to many episodes in Voyager being among the strongest in Trek. I know Seven of Nine got a huge push later and seemed to be on a ton of magazines at the time because Jeri Ryan had it going on but it just never clicked with me.

Enterprise has one of the worst intro songs ever. For a long time I took my first impression of the series and disliked it quite strongly but not too long ago I binged it, and I have to say this thing starts moving in its second season. As an aside, good lord, Jolene Blaylock is ridiculously good looking. Trek has had a number of attractive women in their shows but Blaylock oozes sexuality in this role in a way that contrasts with her role as a Vulcan. Again, by the time it ended, I felt like the finale was a disservice to the turn around the show made in quality, and by then, I was wanting more. I like Bakula a lot but I have to admit his casting was a but of a turnoff to me. I loved Quantum Leap to me, but he still looked exactly like the Quantum Leap guy and his performance didn't disassociate that from me.

This new Trek they are working on. I was very excited for, but then it was announced as a prequel (meh), and lost Fuller as a showrunner (who is doing American Gods now). Lots of delays on this one and on an untested platform.

So in short:

DS9 one of the best SF shows ever for me and clearly the best Trek

Next Gen a quality show that merits anyone's love for it.

Enterprise gets better but could have lived without.

Voyager I just don't get.

Original series: pretty awful.

I love that episode, arguably my favorite Star Trek.

I want to add, while I don't care for the original series one of my other fave episodes of DS9 (and thus Trek) revisits the original crew in "Trials and Tribble-ations" which I thought was pretty fantastic.

I love that episode, arguably my favorite Star Trek.

It's so good. Just drops you in, escalates and caps off practically a season's worth of episodes. Sisko just knocks it of the park. SOOO good.

It's sounding more and more like I should revisit DS9.

Trek in my experience typically starts slow (like the first bit of next Gen is rough IMHO) and DS9's best starts churning a couple of seasons in.

I remember when DS9 (and the other Treks) hit Netflix a few years back, was so excited to finally sit down and revisit DS9. It was always my favorite but where I lived it simply wasn't in syndication/rotation like the other versions were.

Love them both but there is just something about TNG.

What do you mean by both???

There are FIVE of them!

lol

Okay then...

1. TNG

2. TOS

3. DS9

4. Voyager

5. Enterprise

I will agree with previous posts about the horrible acting by Avery Brooks as Sisko. Absolutely vapid. Robert Beltran as Chakotay in Voyager was just as bad.

I thought DS9 was a real snoozer until the Dominion War - then it got awesome.

As an aside, good lord, Jolene Blaylock is ridiculously good looking. Trek has had a number of attractive women in their shows but Blaylock oozes sexuality in this role in a way that contrasts with her role as a Vulcan.

+1,000,000,000,000

As an aside, good lord, Jolene Blaylock is ridiculously good looking. Trek has had a number of attractive women in their shows but Blaylock oozes sexuality in this role in a way that contrasts with her role as a Vulcan.

Those lips just looks sooooo fake...and speaking of fake, tell me in the decontamination scenes those thingys aren't pointing in two completely different directions!

But Bakula is my second favorite captain. Enterprise just hit me like a ton of bricks...really got into the second and third seasons. The helmsman Travis Mayweather was pretty goofy

though...I really liked Trip and Phlox!

Edited by Mystafo

I thought DS9 was a real snoozer until the Dominion War - then it got awesome.

I think the most boring parts of DS9 for me, and admittedly this is a rather big element, was Bajor. I just didn't give a damn and it could have been any planet, any people, and made no difference to me. Because of this (for me) the Dominion War kind of pushes that aside, and as you say, becomes awesome.

I will say this tho, the earlier seasons develop the characters that I actually care about that are in play during the Dominion War and I do think the relationships on DS9 add tension to the later seasons. Miles and Bashir, Bashir and Garak, everyone and Dax etc etc.

I have a couple of big picture issues with DS9 but I file them under its a tv show. For instance I never understood how an installation so important, even before war, was so relatively undefended. I understand Star Fleet isn't a traditional military but in all intents and purposes it serves as one. It's basicialy potentially the most important Star Fleet location outside of earth due to the wormhole. The idea that it had basically no ships at its disposal and later only had one assigned to it (even tho it kicked ) was somewhat odd to me, especially since I lived most of my life abroad on military installations. That other powers could muster entire fleets while protecting other interests to DS9 and Star Fleet could not always baffled me. I kind of felt the same about Earth when the Borg attacked them in Next Generation but it hit me even more in DS9.

Enterprise just hit me like a ton of bricks...really got into the second and third seasons.

Agree, in later seasons it became a show well worth saving.

I love the original series and the animated series that features all the original characters. Both are in my Netflix que. Best part is, they're both viewable in hi-def on netflix where they take up the whole screen unlike bbc america or syfy where you get those 2 black bars on the sides of the screen

I love the original series and the animated series that features all the original characters. Both are in my Netflix que. Best part is, they're both viewable in hi-def on netflix where they take up the whole screen unlike bbc america or syfy where you get those 2 black bars on the sides of the screen

If the show was shot in a 1:33:1 ratio you should watch the show in that ratio the way it was meant to be seen. The show could still be in HD with the bars on left and right or top and bottom just depending on the ratio the film was shot in. It's terrible to watch a show or film that is stretched out or cut that does not need to be.

The great thing with The Animated Series was there was no technology limitation on production, other than a limited palette of colors used. But when it came to ships in space, creates or weapons of destruction - this show had it all.

The great thing with The Animated Series was there was no technology limitation on production, other than a limited palette of colors used. But when it came to ships in space, creates or weapons of destruction - this show had it all.

That is why I liked the show

Another thing that makes the animated series great is that is features the entire original cast, sans Checkov. Even has Mark Lenard as Sarek in one episode. It might as well be season 4 of the original series

Another thing that makes the animated series great is that is features the entire original cast, sans Checkov. Even has Mark Lenard as Sarek in one episode. It might as well be season 4 of the original series

It lasted 2 seasons so I always say it is year 4 and 5 of their 5 year voyage