• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Trek, which series was the best?

69 posts in this topic

Another thing that makes the animated series great is that is features the entire original cast, sans Checkov. Even has Mark Lenard as Sarek in one episode. It might as well be season 4 of the original series

It lasted 2 seasons so I always say it is year 4 and 5 of their 5 year voyage

Yep, that`s what I do. Very underrated animated series.

Another thing that makes the animated series great is that is features the entire original cast, sans Checkov. Even has Mark Lenard as Sarek in one episode. It might as well be season 4 of the original series

It lasted 2 seasons so I always say it is year 4 and 5 of their 5 year voyage

Yep, that`s what I do. Very underrated animated series.

I agree. It really was excellent.

For me, nothing will ever top the original series, as some of my earliest memories are of watching the (worst) 3rd season on its original run with my dad. "Spock's Brain" and "The Tholian Web" I remember from the original run, and of course when I saw them later I realized how cheesy those particular episodes were.

But setting aside nostalgia, nothing really tops the best of the original run: "City on the Edge of Forever", "Amok Time, " "Mirror, Mirror," maybe 1 or 2 others. The Next Generation started off very poorly, but did hit its stride in later years, with the Borg and several of the Picard-centered episodes. The average episode of TNG later years was better than the average episode of the original.

I've sampled DS9, Voyager & Enterprise, but never really saw anything that made me want to come back. That's the thing about all the Star Trek iterations-- they all are very hit & miss. For every standout episode, there are 2 or 3 that fall flat (same with the movies).

One key sub-theme of the first two series I thought was examining what it is that makes us human, first by contrast with Spock's Vulcan nature, and then by Data's attempts to become human. I never saw anything comparable in the later series, but again I might well have missed it.

Edited by Zonker

One key sub-theme of the first two series I thought was examining what it is that makes us human, first by contrast with Spock's Vulcan nature, and then by Data's attempts to become human. I never saw anything comparable in the later series, but again I might well have missed it.

I think later iterations would be characters like Seven of Nine in Voyager, T'Pol in Enterprise, and Sisko's role as emmisary, or Garak exile living among human, or stories like Bashir's origins in DS9. Not to mention Odo whose entire story is somewhat based on what he learns from Humanity.

For me, nothing will ever top the original series, as some of my earliest memories are of watching the (worst) 3rd season on its original run with my dad. "Spock's Brain" and "The Tholian Web" I remember from the original run, and of course when I saw them later I realized how cheesy those particular episodes were.

But setting aside nostalgia, nothing really tops the best of the original run: "City on the Edge of Forever", "Amok Time, " "Mirror, Mirror," maybe 1 or 2 others. The Next Generation started off very poorly, but did hit its stride in later years, with the Borg and several of the Pickard-centered episodes. The average episode of TNG later years was better than the average episode of the original.

I've sampled DS9, Voyager & Enterprise, but never really saw anything that made me want to come back. That's the thing about all the Star Trek iterations-- they all are very hit & miss. For every standout episode, there are 2 or 3 that fall flat (same with the movies).

So much agree with on your Spock and Data points.

One thing that TOS and Next Generation had was Gene Roddenberry guiding it that the others didn`t. I think that has to be mentioned as well.

I already said DS9's In the Pale Moonlight was I think by far the best Trek episode (and an xtra hat tip to the fun Trials and Tribble-ations) but if talking Next Generation I guess obvious choices like Inner Light, Chain of Command, and I always had a fondness for Clues, Lower Decks, and Survivors. There are a number of good ones when the show gets going.

Regarding Villains, I always liked Moriarty.