• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many of you are comfortable RAW grading 9.6/9.8 to sell?

48 posts in this topic

Being a small Ebay dealer occasionally I pull out a book to sell that because of it's low value I don't think is worth getting CGC graded, however I personally grade it as a 9.6 or a 9.8. But to then list it on Ebay with that type grade makes me a little nervous. I may honestly think that it is a 9.8, even with the Comic Book Grading Guide at hand for reference, but do I really want to list it as such? I really don't think I can do that. Some dealers advertise that they don't grade above 9.4 or NM. I think that is appropriate for me too. Any of you guys confident in your grading enough to be willing to put your feedback and rep on the line by grading raw books ABOVE 9.4 and listing them as such? Any comments about other dealers that do?

Like you I very rarely sell on ebay. For raw grading the highest I will go is 9.4 which means I list the item as NM. I am uncomfortable going any higher than that. For what it's worth I never give a numeric grade unless the book is already slabbed.

I remember greggy commenting that I rarely put in a higher grade than NM on my website. You do see the occasional NM+ on there, however.

I would say that I would feel confident in grading a raw book 9.6 on ebay. It's only when you get to 9.8 that I start to dither and err on the side of caution, although it's not as if a great deal of S.A. or B.A. 9.8s (or even that many 9.6s) go through my hands anyway, and those that are candidates for those grades invariably make their merry way to Sarasota.

I rarely grade a book past NM 9.4 no matter how nice it looks because you never know what CGC will find if you or someone else sends in the book to be graded

CGC does not have a monopoly on the 9.6 (aka NM+) grade! sumo.gif

I never used to use NM+ until I started sending books into CGC and received many 9.6 and 9.8's, after which I decided to start using the NM+ grade for worthy candidates. To tell the truth, it had more to do with getting back 9.4's and learning to define the "near" part of the "near mint" grade than receiving a NM+/9.6 grade. In other words, once you accept that NM books aren't perfect, you have to have something to call your perfect books!! However, I've never graded a raw book NM/MT (aka 9.8).

I rarely grade a book past NM 9.4 no matter how nice it looks because you never know what CGC will find if you or someone else sends in the book to be graded

CGC does not have a monopoly on the 9.6 (aka NM+) grade! sumo.gif

I never used to use NM+ until I started sending books into CGC and received many 9.6 and 9.8's, after which I decided to start using the NM+ grade for worthy candidates. To tell the truth, it had more to do with getting back 9.4's and learning to define the "near" part of the "near mint" grade than receiving a NM+/9.6 grade. In other words, once you accept that NM books aren't perfect, you have to have something to call your perfect books!! However, I've never graded a raw book NM/MT (aka 9.8).

You shouldn't grade any of your books 9.6s either!

Since I think I grade conservatively, I'll only list books that are in NM condition and below. If a book is that spectacular to be a 9.6 and above, then I'll probably keep it and send it in to CGC myself.

I only sell two types of books raw reader runs of modern comics or silver age. With the readers I always put "read once VF/NM" regardless of the condition and I would never go above 9.4 on any silver age book I sell raw. Come to think of it I try to play it safe and say 9.2.

You should stick with 9.2s!

confused.gif

Dammit...people can't decipher the sarcasm in my writing without the graemlins!

Nah, I understood. As I recall you did buy a book I designated 9.6 - an OAAW 277. Don't remember you complaining about it - mind you that book was a beauty.

You should stick with 9.2s!

confused.gif

Dammit...people can't decipher the sarcasm in my writing without the graemlins!

Nah, I understood. As I recall you did buy a book I designated 9.6 - an OAAW 277. Don't remember you complaining about it - mind you that book was a beauty.

I complain about lots of stuff!