• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Artists that you think have staying power -- a counterpoint

21 posts in this topic

So we now have a thread where we are talking about establish, generally well revered artists that are just not one's personal favorite. I can certainly think of several that fit into that category, but as stated most of this is personal taste. So I think we needed some counterbalance to that thread.

Lets talk about new artists, meaning last 10 to 15 years, that people think will have staying power.

Let's try to stay positive........ and go!!!!

I have long been a fan of Andy MacDonald. He and Ivan Brandon did NYC Mech and Ivan has since done very well. But Andy was plugging along, doing Marvel digital stuff or the James Patterson ZOO adaptation. He did 3 Teen Titans Earth One one shots and some Detective Comics as well. So it appears he continues to move up and get better and better work. He inks his own stuff and I don't believe he takes jobs where he cannot do the full art; it is good to see him gain wider recognition.

Here are two pieces I have - a full 11x17 commission and a con sketch.

ss4macdonald.jpg

andyasgardianororo.jpg

I am enough of a fan that sometimes I buy odd items. Like this picture of a bus.

andybus.jpg

At 5747 views it is the most viewed piece in my CAF gallery, 1200 more views than my BWS Storyteller splash. It accumulates views steadily, I have no idea why.

Andy MacDonald is fabulous, I agree.

Lots of great artists working today. Some real, distinctive, individual skill sets being used in comics today.

You can see how this generation has been influenced over their lives by the artists of the 90's to today.

Not in the traditional superhero artist sense but as a cartoonist:

Skottie Young

Not for me when he's doing super-hero art, but really quite excellent on the Wizard of Oz adaptations.

I tried to list 'em from A to Z... some are not so new, but on either has not hit their pinnacle or on the cusp of breaking away from the pack and surging in popularity (all they need is a good high profile book asignment)

Charlie ADLARD

Nick BRADSHAW

J. Scott CAMPBELL

Mike DeBALFO

Joe EISMA

Jenny FRISON

Kristen GUDSNUK

Josh HOWARD

Jamal IGLE

Joelle JONES

Tyler KIRKHAM

Jae LEE

Steve McNIVEN

Dustin NGUYEN

Siya OUM

Sara PICHELLI

Q

Nei RUFFINO

Declan SHALVEY

Jamie TYNDALL

U

V

W

X

Lenil YU

Chrissie ZULLO

I tried to list 'em from A to Z... some are not so new, but on either has not hit their pinnacle or on the cusp of breaking away from the pack and surging in popularity (all they need is a good high profile book asignment)

J. Scott CAMPBELL

Somehow, I think pencilling/inking interior art would be more work for less pay compared to what he's making right now just doing covers.

Man I can't stand that guy, but I didn't want to start an argument in the other thread.

Actually, that's probably page 1 of this thread. :D

As I mentioned, he isn't really suited as a traditional superhero artist. His unique art-style is too quirky to work for superheroes unless it's a parody or something.