• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Book Of Comics #1

14 posts in this topic

Hey all, I'm new here so forgive me for any rookie mistakes. I have a book I've never seen before and I've seen a ton of Golden Age books. The comic is "New Book Of Comics" #1 published by DC Comics. I'm curious if any of you have purchased a copy of this book before and what you had to give for it. Also, it has a copyright date of 1936 and CGC listed it as 1937. Do they tend to go with release dates over copyrigt dates? We are selling our on Ebay if anyone has any useful commentary I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162365857094?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Yeah, this copy has a distinct chip on the lower front cover/spine that the one in the other photo did not have. If this one graded at 5.0 I wonder what the other one would have graded at. Hard to see exactly through a Ziploc bag, but it looks like that one might be a better copy. And do you guys always have to type a verification code or is it just because I'm new?

Yeah, this copy has a distinct chip on the lower front cover/spine that the one in the other photo did not have. If this one graded at 5.0 I wonder what the other one would have graded at. Hard to see exactly through a Ziploc bag, but it looks like that one might be a better copy. And do you guys always have to type a verification code or is it just because I'm new?

To post on the boards? I don't have to and I haven't heard of it before.

Huh, must just be for us newbies.

The board has been experiencing a banned member (or maybe two or three) who sneaks back on under new IDs to raise some Cain. Maybe it's an attempt to stop that.

at the risk of being Debbi Downer, this is one of the very early comics, one that used to be held if far greater esteem than it is today. They have a high historical cache to them, but few admirers willing to pay interesting sums.

just my opinion.

at the risk of being Debbi Downer, this is one of the very early comics, one that used to be held if far greater esteem than it is today. They have a high historical cache to them, but few admirers willing to pay interesting sums.

just my opinion.

Unfortunately, this is so very true. :(

With comics though, everything seems to go in cycles. So, these very early historical pre-hero GA DC books might have its day in the sun again one of these years. :wishluck:

Although nobody really cared for the pre-hero SA Marvel books for decades, now they sure seem to be fetching a pretty penny when they do show up in the marketplace in decent grade. So, why not for the pre-hero GA DC books which are in fact, 25 years older and very much rarer in comparison. hm

just my opinion.

Unfortunately, this is so very true. :(

So, why not for the pre-hero GA DC books which are in fact, 25 years older and very much rarer in comparison. hm

There are still some of us insane people who love these old, old, old DC books. I love the action/adventure oriented stuff especially. Flessel, Guardineer and best of all O'mealia really did some great work in these.

The non-Superman Siegel and Shuster art is pretty amazing too, with great action and innovative page layouts.

Yes I know.. that's why I hoped I phrased my comments carefully. I passed on this book 20 years ago for 10K. Not this copy, but a fairly high grade raw copy. I was tempted, cause it's cool, and very early and scarce. but finally decided to buy pre Robin Tecs with the money.

Hope I made the right decision... : )