• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The All New Original Art Price Game - HA edition Adjusted

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bird said:

wow strong group think on that Preacher page....1314 after BP.

I'm probably closest on that one as I guessed 1200.    Don't care enough to check the others :insane:

Closest to the pin on the individual lots by $:

CAp 68 cover - Gene

Swamp 6 cover - Gene

Sienk ROTJ cover - Great Escape

Chris Ware - Gene

Spidey 259 cover - Panelfan1

Zeck Punisher cover - J. Sid

Defenders 4 cover - Panelfan1

JLA 1 page - 3 way tie between Great Escape, NinjaSealed, and Panelfan1

Preacher page - Bronty

That leaves us with this for the individual lots by $:

Gene & Panelfan1 - 3 lots each

Great Escape - 2 lots

J. Sid, NinjaSealed, Bronty - 1 lot each

The total basket of goods (I am excluding the DD reserve not met piece) went for $324,561

Closest guess was.......   Panelfan1 with $312,800

Next was Dick O. at $305,000

Then Gene at $290,624

Then NinjaSealed right below that at $289,200

Edited by Bronty

Based on that, I think its fair to crown Panelfan1 the big wiener, Gene second place, and either Great Escape or Dick O. third. 

Congrats guys!

Your prize checks are in the mail! :banana:

On 2/25/2017 at 9:36 PM, The Voord said:

This is me responding to me (don't ask . . .).

Would have thought the Cap cover had gone for much higher than the $77,675 hammer price.   A one known cover from the original run???  Any Cap fan worth his salt should have gone all-out to secure that little prize . . .

Terry Doyle

(making his new ID fully-known, as he's not a fan of anonymous posting)

I am not surprised at all this is probably the most undesirable part of the run. No cool World War II action, no looming horror Red Skull, no John Romita Sr. Russian reboot of the run cover.

6 hours ago, Mephisto1 said:

I am not surprised at all this is probably the most undesirable part of the run. No cool World War II action, no looming horror Red Skull, no John Romita Sr. Russian reboot of the run cover.

Only KNOWN cover from the first run series, so it's not exactly that you're spoilt for choice, is it?

Yeah but that argument only goes so far.    If the only known Kirby FF cover was 98, it still wouldn't go for as much as some of the key ones would in a world where many more were available.

Besides, more of the GA covers existing might make this one more valuable not less because you'd have more collectors.   

I like to think it wouldn't have much effect either way.   The cover is what it is.  

Yes it's Incredibly rare but so rare that competition is self limiting.

Edited by Bronty

Not exactly a subject, within this price guessing game, that I'm about to beat myself up over.  Had the character died at the end of the GA, yeah, I could see there being a limited buying audience for this era of OA collecting.  Sure, an earlier peak-period WWII action-orientated example would have been more exciting and desirable, no denying that, but as the one known surviving cover example from the original run, I would have thought the competition for this rare gem would have been more intense.  It wasn't (not that $77,675 is exactly chump-change).  No big deal to me either way . . . the market has spoken and I misjudged the potential importance of this cover to Captain America OA collectors . . . end of story.

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Yes it's Incredibly rare but so rare that competition is self limiting.

I agree on any book/character that wasn't near the top of the heap, GA and SA. That sort of trumps imo, but clearly not at HA last weekend!

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, mister_not_so_nice said:
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:16 AM, Bird said:

wow strong group think on that Preacher page....1314 after BP.

The market is crashing  :ohnoez:

You better get out now before you really lose some money.   Fire sale!!!!  

6 hours ago, vodou said:

I agree on any book/character that wasn't near the top of the heap, GA and SA. That sort of trumps imo, but clearly not at HA last weekend!

Well it will be very interesting to see how Jon Berk's collection does.

On the one hand there is a lot of very rare, wonderful, but ultimately somewhat niche material (as great as it is).

On the other hand, with so much of it available at once (a good thing) will more people gun for a piece of it?

Edited by Bronty