• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15.....................

48 posts in this topic

It has staple stress and the outside cover looks like a handsaw with Marvel chipping present when you open the book. The inside pages are in decent shape and have no tears. There are creases to the cover, but I like this book and it completes my Spider-Man AF15 through Amazing Spider-Man #200. I'm happy!!!!

It has staple stress and the outside cover looks like a handsaw with Marvel chipping present when you open the book. The inside pages are in decent shape and have no tears. There are creases to the cover, but I like this book and it completes my Spider-Man AF15 through Amazing Spider-Man #200. I'm happy!!!!

Great! I know just how it feels to finally get this one! 893applaud-thumb.gif

In fact, It looks very similar to mine 1.8 sumo.gif, perhaps a 2.0 thumbsup2.gif

2.0 - 2.5 It looks like a nice solid low grade copy. Congrats.

about what i was thinking.............certainly still a collectible copy of "THE" SA book.......... thumbsup2.gif(except maybe for FF#1 poke2.gif)

2.0 - 2.5 It looks like a nice solid low grade copy. Congrats.

about what i was thinking.............certainly still a collectible copy of "THE" SA book.......... thumbsup2.gif(except maybe for FF#1 poke2.gif)

a 2.0. matches being Marvel's no. 2 book. poke2.gif

2.0, 2.5....??? What gives..?? I'm looking at the overstreet guide right now and this book in no way matches the description for a 2.0 or 2.5. There are no missing pieces or tape. No spine roll. No tears to cover and the inside is decent. There are no spine splits and the centerfold is attached securely, too.

A 2.0 or 2.5 grade can have alot of defects to the book and this book has none of those "defects" at all!!

All that considered, what justifies a grade of 2.0 or 2.5..?? This book is definately a 3.0 or 3.5. according to the Overstreet Guide.

Please, all respond....thank you.

2.0, 2.5....??? What gives..?? I'm looking at the overstreet guide right now and this book in no way matches the description for a 2.0 or 2.5. There are no missing pieces or tape. No spine roll. No tears to cover and the inside is decent. There are no spine splits and the centerfold is attached securely, too.

A 2.0 or 2.5 grade can have alot of defects to the book and this book has none of those "defects" at all!!

All that considered, what justifies a grade of 2.0 or 2.5..?? This book is definately a 3.0 or 3.5. according to the Overstreet Guide.

It doesn't look quite as nice as the one I sent in to CGC and got a 3.0 on. So, 2.5. Just because a grade can have certain defects doesn't mean it's higher if some of them are not present.

I don't really want to tear apart a grail book.

But if you insist.

Multiple corner creasing at both the top and bottom.

I count 7 at the bottom and 3 at the top with one big one at the top.

Lots of spine wear with the top staple missing some of the spine and the bottom staple has tears. I bet the cover is barely attached.

Right edge has marvel chipping and the pages are fanned from the back cover scan. That fanning normally means spine roll even though it may have been flattened out over the years in a stack of other comics bagged and boarded.

Send it in!

Standard is what? A month?

For $45-$50 bucks we will all get a grading lesson.

thumbsup2.gif

I stand by my 1.8 and if it gets higher than a 2.0 I'm sending my goods in so they get slabbed at 3.5.

popcorn.gif

Are we looking at the same book? You clearly can't see the tears on the back cover. Or the spine roll. Or the fact that the cover is barely attached at the staples. Or the mega-creasing that takes this book out of 3.0.

The trouble with Overstreet's grading descriptions, especially in the lower grades, is that they list what defects are allowable with little indication of how many a book can accumulate before it starts dropping in grade, which is why you can find sellers calling completely thrashed books VG.

I don't have first hand experience with CGC's grading of SA books, but we've all seen scans of GA books that one wouldn't sell raw as any nicer than a 2.0 get slabbed as 3.0, as well as SA books that look closer to VG getting a 2.5. Based on the scan presented I find it hard to believe that CGC would ever knock it down to 1.8, but I can't see them giving it a 3.5 either.

These boards have a habit of coming up with a consensus guess that is often a grade or two below what CGC ends up giving books - so Comcasthawk, I wouldn't get too upset with the responses you've gotten.

The trouble with Overstreet's grading descriptions, especially in the lower grades, is that they list what defects are allowable with little indication of how many a book can accumulate before it starts dropping in grade...

The book does not have huge defects but has accumulated enough minor ones for this book to be right in the 2.0-2.5 range. I would personally say 2.5 but that is only with one data point. I am getting back a 2.5 Fantastic Four #2 that looks about the same as the AF #15.

Dan

I think this book will get a 2.5 from CGC. I just got mine back at 2.0, but the types of defects on this copy (overall wear) are much different from mine (insect damage) so it's not really pertinent to post a scan.

IMHO no way this book falls below good as there's no pieces missing, tape, writing, stains, etc.,. The book appears to have it's structural integrity intact, and if the interior is nice as you say and the staples are secure to the cover and interior, it could possibly get a 3.0. However, based on the scan, it looks like the cover is loose around the staples with tears and lots of wiggle room, so 2.5 it is.