• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Collection Discovered!

88 posts in this topic

I recently discovered a very small golden age collection. The other books this woman had she threw in the trash 10-15 years ago about 40-50 supermans #11-60. She saved the Superman #1-10 very securly. I am in the process of receiving these books. The woman is 80 years old and bought them off the rack. She never let anyone handle them. She triple wrapped them in plastic and packed them away. I am going to help her sell them and put the money in trust for her grandkids. If you see a new highest census Supes #1, then you heard it here first. She says they are in excellent condition and I will be flying out to pick them up in a month or so. Wish me luck everyone, as I am hoping to be able to buy the #2 from her for fair market value if I can.

She saved the Superman #1-10 very securly......The woman is 80 years old and bought them off the rack. She never let anyone handle them. She triple wrapped them in plastic and packed them away.....

I'm sure she folded them up nicely so they would fit in the bread box. thumbsup2.gif

What makes him a "tad optimistic"? One of the nicest copies of Superman 1 came out of the back of a chair. Sometine shortly after it was published It was been placed between the cushioning and the wood backing along with several other magazines to give the cushioning support. When they took the chair apart in the mid-1990's to refinish it the book was rediscovered. It was sold at Sotheby's in 1997 or 1998. It had to be a 7.0 easy.

I would LOVE for it to be a new high census copy, by the way. That would be so cool.

Yeah, but not for the seller. The poor gal will probably only get a fraction of the book's worth, if the book is a HG grail.

I recently discovered a very small golden age collection. The other books this woman had she threw in the trash 10-15 years ago about 40-50 supermans #11-60. She saved the Superman #1-10 very securly. I am in the process of receiving these books. The woman is 80 years old and bought them off the rack. She never let anyone handle them. She triple wrapped them in plastic and packed them away. I am going to help her sell them and put the money in trust for her grandkids. If you see a new highest census Supes #1, then you heard it here first. She says they are in excellent condition and I will be flying out to pick them up in a month or so. Wish me luck everyone, as I am hoping to be able to buy the #2 from her for fair market value if I can.

Just sounds fishy to me. Nobody wrapped anything in plastic back then - if it had been brown paper the story would be more believable in my opinion. Would be cool though.. good luck.

Just sounds fishy to me. Nobody wrapped anything in plastic back then - if it had been brown paper the story would be more believable in my opinion.

Exactly my thoughts, too. Hardly the age of comics wrapped in plastic. Who knows, but this sounds like an urban legend, like a guy working in a landfill and finding the winning ticket to the powerball.

There are just waaaay too many things that could go wrong.... I certainly hope it's true, and it could well be, but oftentimes these stories are wild goose chases... the series is the wrong volume number, or "excellent" condition turns out to be coverless, or this, that or the other thing.

Hopefully it's not the mid 1980s Superman 1-10 insane.gif

Just to give all of the skeptics out there some more info. One, the owner is my grandmothers sister. Two, if you do the math she was not a child when she bought them. She was born in 1925. Supes #1 came out in 39 right, so she was 14 years old. She never let her brothers, sisters, dead husband or children even handle them. She wrapped them in plastic years ago, not neccesarily the year she bought them. I spoke with her daughter which I guess would be my 2nd cousin, who is in her fifties, and she confirmed that they have been "triple wrapped in plastic(not neccesarily comic bags), and packed away stacked on top of each other in a box in the attic". Her mom never allowed her to even hold them much less unwrap them. I am optimistic but not stupid. If these are nice enough I will help her to get them slabbed and put up for auction, and maybe keep 5% for my troubles. If they are beat then she can just pass them off to her grandkids. People are sure pesimistic on these boards, have a little faith. Even if they are not top census, how often is a one owner superman #1-10 found. I am excited just to see these books. I own the white mountain copy of Amazing fantasy #15, and I am much more excited about holding a superman #1 then AF #15. A grail of grails. Like I said I will keep everyone posted as to the news as it unfolds. If I can when they come in I will post scans for the skeptics out there. Happy hunting and what a great hobby we have.

But c'mon x101, if you've been around awhile, you know that EVERYONE who has some old comics claims that they are in exemplary condition, whether they are or not. Forget take it with a grain of salt, how about a highway spreader truck full of it instead? Especially when we're talking about grail books.

Just three weeks ago I went into an antique store that had a tiny 'comics' sign in the window. The guy had a huge amount of books but nothing really interesting (at the prices being asked, that is). I finished looking at what was displayed and asked if he had any others. He said, how about a nice X-Men 1, the original one! I said let's see it. He pulled it out of a drawer and handed it to me. Wow, what a stinker this copy was, it looked like it was used as a dishrag for a couple months then flattened, dried out and bagged. It felt like a dried sponge, even. Just horrible condition, but he said It's mid-grade! lol

So, it's not so much that I think she's telling a story to scam someone. Not at all. It's more the point that her opinion will likely not line up to reality once those layers of plastic are peeled away. Good luck of course, finding something like this is certainly something to be excited about.