• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Printing error: Death of Vampirella

13 posts in this topic

I wish we could have a new category in this forum that focuses on errors, but this category will do and hopeful someone can bring some information about this one.

I bought one box of mixed comics today and look through for any cool comic books. Pull some cool comics from that box, but this one stands out from others.

At first, I thought it was degraded color based on sunlight, but after look at the back cover. I realized that this may be in process of running out red ink. You can see on the back of cover showing degrading red ink from left to right and the front cover is completed running out of red ink. I wonder if anyone did pull a printing error on this one? I did check recalledcomics and they didn't record any printing error on that issue.

Here's scanned pictures...

DOVb016_zpsx2tftiys.jpg

DOVa015_zpsywu88jot.jpg

Let me know what do you think?

Hello,

There is a category here:

Celebrate The Printing Errors

It's difficult to tell from scans sometimes, especially with Chromium Covers which don't picture well, but it does look like the red ink is missing / erratic on this copy. I can't see another on Ebay so well done on the find :applause:

I don't get how that could happen -- isn't the wrap around cover printed at the same time?

Normally those wraparound chromium covers are printed as flat sheets. There's no crease or "front/back" until after printing when it's stapled and folded.

I hate to say it looks like sun fading, but that makes the most sense. hm

Mrs Muggins: It's more of a thread instead of a category but thanks for the link. Yes, on the front cover there is some red residue around the black ink. Back cover is what give me an impress that red ink actually running out. I am thrilled to find my first printing error. I haven't pulled one since 25 years.

bug33fouf: Welcome and I think I am going to keep this copy for a long time. :)

01TheDude: valiantman has answered your question.

topofthetotem: Agreed. That's what changed my mind from sunlight to running out of red ink.

HarveySwick: Yes, this copy can be as a variant. ;)

valiantman: Thank you for explaining to 01TheDude. I agreed with you as sunlight was my first impress to fading color, but back cover beg differs.

I wonder if CGC will state the printing error as a universal or qualified label?

Edited by Aslpride8

At first, I thought it was degraded color based on sunlight, but after look at the back cover. I realized that this may be in process of running out red ink. You can see on the back of cover showing degrading red ink from left to right and the front cover is completed running out of red ink. I wonder if anyone did pull a printing error on this one? I did check recalledcomics and they didn't record any printing error on that issue.

Let me know what do you think?

I think that if you are looking for a book that's missing the red inks for sure, then you should be checking this copy of Cap 1 in the attached link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9779970#Post9779970

Seems as though nobody over there wants to touch this so-called "printing error variant" with a 10-foot pole, so you might just be able to pick it up for a steal of a deal. :gossip:

valiantman: Thank you for explaining to 01TheDude. I agreed with you as sunlight was my first impress to fading color, but back cover beg differs.

I'm not sure why you think the back cover begs to differ as if it hasn't faded. If it sat on a shelf in the sun, it would fade on the front and fade on the spine, but whatever was against the shelf would be full color no fading (the back cover would be no fade).

I had one of these in my old shop window. That's how it ended up when I took it out

That's the answer.

my point was simply that it would be odd for them to apply the red to half the cover and run out out exactly at the midpoint (the wrap around cover being printed on the same contiguous piece of paper).

the fading front cover explanation makes a lot of sense-- but I never owned anything chromium to even suspect that.