• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detroit Trolley Collection

141 posts in this topic

Since he has such a vendetta against CGC, I suppose he will sell the books raw on his site. Should be interesting to see his sale prices compared to GPA for slabbed copies.

I wonder if he'll disclose his "safeguards" that make the books immune to future pressing (invisible ink marks?)... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Since he has such a vendetta against CGC, I suppose he will sell the books raw on his site. Should be interesting to see his sale prices compared to GPA for slabbed copies.

I wonder if he'll disclose his "safeguards" that make the books immune to future pressing (invisible ink marks?)... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So to protect books from *undisclosed restoration*, he's going to put *undisclosed magic marker* on them?

What a [#@$%!!!] head. screwy.gif

That's exactly my point. Would CGC detect invisible ink marks and give these books PLODs? An entire new collection of 300-400 Golden Age books, all doomed to purple labels?

Sounds like a prophylactic for comics.

I hate to think what Red Hook is going to do with that one.

Did you check out the No Press Zone Logo I put together for him?

I would have to assume that upon finding this collection the majority would of been unrestored. Seeing as there wasn't a real back issue market then it seems silly to have done anything to the books back in 68.

Now, seeing as we don't really know where/when these were picked up, they could be suspect to restoration.

I don't really understand why you wouldn't slab them. I can think of no con's other than price. How else will they get the "Detroit Trolley" label and/or be really checked for resto?

So to protect books from *undisclosed restoration*, he's going to put *undisclosed magic marker* on them?

What a [#@$%!!!] head. screwy.gif

Just guessing...but that's the solution that's been bandied about here since day one with regards to identifying resubs (pressed or no). It's either that or the buyers will each have to sign an affidavit that they promise not to press...or sell to someone that will press...or sell to someone that owns a press...or even expose the books to press fumes...or 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Nearmint has a very good question, and I'd be curious to hear the real answer!

I would have to assume that upon finding this collection the majority would of been unrestored. Seeing as there wasn't a real back issue market then it seems silly to have done anything to the books back in 68.

Now, seeing as we don't really know where/when these were picked up, they could be suspect to restoration.

From my initial post in the Gold forum (per Scoop)....

"Each book will include a certificate of evaluation and authenticity, provided by Susan Cicconi of The Restoration Lab stating that each book is unrestored and in stated condition."

I don't really understand why you wouldn't slab them. I can think of no con's other than price. How else will they get the "Detroit Trolley" label and/or be really checked for resto?

Russell, when dealing with Marnin, toss logic out the window.

I'm less interested in the "why" of what he's doing, than in the CGC's reaction to his "safeguards".

From my initial post in the Gold forum (per Scoop)....

"Each book will include a certificate of evaluation and authenticity, provided by Susan Cicconi of The Restoration Lab stating that each book is unrestored and in stated condition."

Didn't she say she couldn't detect professional pressing. Bwah hah hah. What a joke all of this is, seriously, what a joke.

That's exactly my point. Would CGC detect invisible ink marks and give these books PLODs? An entire new collection of 300-400 Golden Age books, all doomed to purple labels?

Why would CGC give the PLOD to books with invisible ink number stamps? The stamps aren't improving the grade or appearance of the book.

Personally, I think this whole "safeguards" thing is stupid. If Marnin and Sue are so sure that professional pressing is detectable, then why do they need to safeguard against it?

Are Marnin and Sue like partners? Or, is it just his comic company using their company for services?

It's a complicated relationship between Marnin and several people in the industry, as well as a couple people on these boards.

Why would CGC give the PLOD to books with invisible ink number stamps? The stamps aren't improving the grade or appearance of the book.

You're absolutely right. It's Monday morning, and my brain isn't working correctly.

What I should have asked if whether CGC will DOWNGRADE for an invisible stamp.