• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detroit Trolley Collection

141 posts in this topic

Well, as an example...I have a Silver Age Jimmy Olsen that looks 9.4, but CGC gave it a 7.0 for staining on the back cover. Looking at the book, there is absolutely no staining visible on the back cover at all, but apparently under a black light there is.

So, would CGC downgrade a book with an invisible stamp?

Are Marnin and Sue like partners? Or, is it just his comic company using their company for services?

It's a complicated relationship between Marnin and several people in the industry, as well as a couple people on these boards.

Show me a relationship in this industry that isn't complicated. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From my initial post in the Gold forum (per Scoop)....

"Each book will include a certificate of evaluation and authenticity, provided by Susan Cicconi of The Restoration Lab stating that each book is unrestored and in stated condition."

Didn't she say she couldn't detect professional pressing. Bwah hah hah. What a joke all of this is, seriously, what a joke.

She wasn't talking about detecting pressing, she was talking about detecting restoration.

devil.gifpoke2.gif

I know this might be kind of a stupid question, but if the stamp is invisible, but able to be seen, then?????

Almost as confusing as time travel.

As redhook said, black light

Are Marnin and Sue like partners? Or, is it just his comic company using their company for services?

It's a complicated relationship between Marnin and several people in the industry, as well as a couple people on these boards.

Show me a relationship in this industry that isn't complicated. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

True, but we are supposedly talking about a hobby here, not world politics.

I know this might be kind of a stupid question, but if the stamp is invisible, but able to be seen, then?????

Almost as confusing as time travel.

As redhook said, black light

The could make some sort of need For Speed film abotu it. Exept with HG Non-restored Gold age comics. They could call it Need For Action! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From my initial post in the Gold forum (per Scoop)....

"Each book will include a certificate of evaluation and authenticity, provided by Susan Cicconi of The Restoration Lab stating that each book is unrestored and in stated condition."

Didn't she say she couldn't detect professional pressing. Bwah hah hah. What a joke all of this is, seriously, what a joke.

She wasn't talking about detecting pressing, she was talking about detecting restoration.

devil.gifpoke2.gif

No, she was talking about detecting pressing. There's no doubt in anyone's mind that she can detect resto.

Show me a relationship in this industry that isn't complicated.

641056b26r0kb.jpg

True, but we are supposedly talking about a hobby here, not world politics.

The problem is that most collectors still think of this as a hobby, while the dealers think of this as big business. That's why it's like the lambs going to the slaughter sometimes.

Well, as an example...I have a Silver Age Jimmy Olsen that looks 9.4, but CGC gave it a 7.0 for staining on the back cover. Looking at the book, there is absolutely no staining visible on the back cover at all, but apparently under a black light there is.

My guess? YES.

My guess? YES.

That would be my guess, as well. It would be a crying shame if Marnin did that to 300-400 books.

My guess? YES.

That would be my guess, as well. It would be a crying shame if Marnin did that to 300-400 books.

More than a shame. He should be drummed out of the hobby if he desecrates a GA collection that has survived this long in original condition.

Okay, I went back and read the announcement on CA.com....and this is what it said.....

"Safeguards have been put in place to protect the integrity of these books from ever being compromised by various undisclosed methods of restoration which have become commonplace in today’s comic book marketplace."

Now, not having spoken to Marnin about the specifics of these safeguards ( I just do pretty pictures of $ ).....wouldn't a set of 200% up, 400 dpi scans of each book, front and back, and kept on record, go a long way towards verifying if a books original condition had been "improved"?

Maybe I didn't read all the way through, but where does it say invisible markings? confused-smiley-013.gif

Okay, I went back and read the announcement on CA.com....and this is what it said.....

"Safeguards have been put in place to protect the integrity of these books from ever being compromised by various undisclosed methods of restoration which have become commonplace in today’s comic book marketplace."

Now, not having spoken to Marnin about the specifics of these safeguards ( I just do pretty pictures of $ ).....wouldn't a set of 200% up, 400 dpi scans of each book, front and back, and kept on record, go a long way towards verifying if a books original condition had been "improved"?

Maybe I didn't read all the way through, but where does it say invisible markings? confused-smiley-013.gif

It doesn't say anything about invisible markings, that was the term used by the conspiracy theorists on the board.

You're right, it doesn't say invisible markings. We're theorizing.

If he's just keeping scans on file, great. But why not just say so, instead of couching it in generalities, which will always lead to guessing and theorizing.

Sounds like the same "safeguards" Heritage has in place, and we know how that turned out! 27_laughing.gif

I suspect he's applying pressure sensitive ink that will cause a huge scarlet "P" to appear on the front cover of the book when sufficient pressure is exerted on the book to start the reaction between the 2-part ink components. Micro-ink encapsulation and nano-technology will protect us!! 893whatthe.gif

I think you are on the right track in that line of thinking Brad.

A complete scan database of the entire collection. Along with a detailed record of Susan's resto check/notes for each book.

I suppose they intend for people to be able to track the books future sales history after it leaves his hand.

Compare a book later to see if it has been altered...., and is up for sale again elsewhere, RAW or SLABBED.

Anyhow, that was also my first impression about his comments on safeguarding.

But it is still up to the public to track the book once it leaves Marnin's site , correct?

He should have gone into greater detail about what the safeguards are going to be when he made an announcment such as this.

Once again.. leaving the barn door open for all kinds of what if's, and speculation.

Ze-

It doesn't say anything about invisible markings, that was the term used by the conspiracy theorists on the board.

That's unfair. It was only presented as a possible "safeguard". No one has stated that Marnin is stamping these books with invisible ink.

Tell you what. I'll email him and ask him.

The other thing is that....what sense does it make to go into great detail about exactly what your security measures are? Leave them guessing, I say.

Maybe he's actually doing squat! But potential restorers wouldn't be sure. Might be enough to slow 'em down anyway. confused-smiley-013.gif