• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All-Star 3 is now 6k per point, and #8 is 13-15k per,.....
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Probably because it was starting to look cheap next to #8, and for many decades previous was considered the more important book.

Forty or fifty years ago, the All-Star run was considered one of the most desirable GA runs out there. Nowadays, with a few exceptions, it seems in the midrange of collector interest. Adjusted for inflation, random lower grade issues are barely more expensive than they were 40 years ago. All-Star #3 seemed to suffer from that loss of prestige for a while, but is perhaps now getting swept up in the major key mania that seems to driving the market these days.

My take would be the Justice League movie: The JLA is the JSA (Silver age reboot). Most of the key members are in the JLA :Superman, Batman, (though only 'reserve/honorary' members of the team in this issue) Wonder Woman (who would join later) and the original versions of Green Lantern and the Flash rounding out and equaling the JLA's big five.

Yes, movies/tv shows don't usually effect Gold books, but i think this with Marvel Family 1, More Fun 73, All Star 8 (and the spike in Captain America 1) are the exceptions. And i mean 'investors' not necessarily 'real fans' are the ones contributing to this. 2c

Edited by Sagii

Detective 27, Action 1 and now Batman 1 and Superman 1 are far beyond the reach of most GA DC collectors. I think AS 3, 8, Flash 1, Sensation 1, WW 1, GL 1, Adv 40, MF 52, 73 etc. will continue to look attractive to those who want to own big keys but can't afford the VERY biggest ones.

Keep in mind that the Comiclink 1.0 was a very attractive book for the grade. A crappy copy likely would not hammer at 6K.

It's always good to keep in mind not all 1.0s are alike when trying to extrapolate values. It's true for all grades, but eye-appeal can vary to the extreme in low grade books.

Didn't a 7.0 AS #3 go for 79k in one of the CC auctions this past year? I think that's correct, if I recall? That's over 11k a point.

No, looks like it went for $69K in their big Event Auction just the other month back in December:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=681997

Not yet over $11K a point, as this works out to just a shade under $10K per point. A very strong price, nonetheless, for a AS 3. (thumbs u

I would think PPP is only relative to 1.5-5.0 copies in general. Very low grade copies get bunched up in price due to aesthetics and price of entry considerations. Above 5.0 prices tend to increase exponentially, so that price per point is no longer a relevant metric. One rarely expects to find an 8.0 copy of a book for only 4X the 2.0 price.

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, since it's sitting at less than $2K right now, you've got a really long way to go to get to your target level of $8K.  :gossip:

Extended bidding :bigsmile:

great news for me...I have filed my copyright on the "price per point" terminology that is in usage in regards to cgc  grades and values....

from here on out, if you intend to use it, please paypal me $1 for every mention...

thank you (smelling the money that is going to be rolling in!)

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

great news for me...I have filed my copyright on the "price per point" terminology that is in usage in regards to cgc  grades and values....

from here on out, if you intend to use it, please paypal me $1 for every mention...

it is a fantastic coined term for sure it's actually made me think on those lines of  logic many times these past few years where it was always the scale before this is way easier. thanks Pal!!! 

on a random note i miss the GAtor chomping that i used to see on the old boards it doesn't move anymore on my phone on the new boards. ???

10 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

it is a fantastic coined term for sure it's actually made me think on those lines of  logic many times these past few years where it was always the scale before this is way easier. thanks Pal!!! 

on a random note i miss the GAtor chomping that i used to see on the old boards it doesn't move anymore on my phone on the new boards. ???

Wayback  when I first started using the "price per point" method, I had actually written a pretty nice market report for the Overstreet price guide detailing my thoughts behind the price per point strategy. 

In a nutshell it just afforded me a very quick way to assess buying and selling silver age keys (I was not a user of gpa  ... at the time,  so I had to develop my own strategy ). 

I knew , for example, I could sell hulk 1s  for about $1000 per CGC numerical point and therefore I was able to walk the convention floor (or assess online auctions) and purchase as long as folks had them priced less than that.

I shared my strategy with several CGC boardies and dealers at that San Diego comic con and it seem to slowly take off from there !

Edited by G.A.tor

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Wayback  when I first started using the "price per point" method, I had actually written a pretty nice market report for the Overstreet price guide detailing my thoughts behind the price per point strategy. 

Was this the Market Report that was apparently lost by the boys over there at Overstreet Publications?  hm

Actually, your Market Report was never lost by accident and more probably conveniently misplaced with intent.  Your price per point concept was probably seen as a novel idea and hence viewed as a potential threat in terms of undermining the price valuations in the guide.  They was probably afraid you was going to copyright the concept if it took hold and then asked to be brought out by Overstreet so that they could continue using it if it had gone into the guide.  :gossip:  lol

All these conspiracy theorists!  :devil:

20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Was this the Market Report that was apparently lost by the boys over there at Overstreet Publications?  hm

Actually, your Market Report was never lost by accident and more probably conveniently misplaced with intent.  Your price per point concept was probably seen as a novel idea and hence viewed as a potential threat in terms of undermining the price valuations in the guide.  They was probably afraid you was going to copyright the concept if it took hold and then asked to be brought out by Overstreet so that they could continue using it if it had gone into the guide.  :gossip:  lol

All these conspiracy theorists!  :devil:

Interesting theory lol

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, since it's sitting at less than $2K right now, you've got a really long way to go to get to your target level of $8K.  :gossip:

It's a very poor copy, even for a 1.0 - I agree completely.

I believe the last copy went for $6K via auction, and I think that was before the 7.0 went for a stratospheric price.

I own a low grade copy for complete disclosure, but this book was on my want list for a while, purely for the relevance it has in the evolution of comics.

What a team the JSA were - I especially enjoyed the later teams - Wildcat etc.

An iconic book in the real sense of the word.

This isn't my book, nor do I know the seller, but think this could finish around the price I noted.

2c