• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Different value for Canadian editions of Golden Age comics?

24 posts in this topic

One thing I noticed from the indicia of the comics I purchased was that the Canadian versions were (obviously) printed in Canada, not the USA. This implies that a local corporation was sold the IP to produce their own copy of the original American version. Hence, in regards to printing and material quality, it would likely be more of a Canadian-specific issue, not necessarily an American one, as they were never imported to begin with. Perhaps Canadian corporations had no choice at the time but to offset the expenses of licensing by cutting corners wherever possible, knowing that Canadians would likely never be able to find out back in the day.

Edited by stormflora

As a collector of Canadian Editions of Batman and Detective here are a few observations: 

Canadian editions have no ads so more like 10 less story content. 

Stories are different issue to issue. Batman 59 for example only has 2 of the 3 Batman stories as compared to the US version. The Man who replaced Batman (1st Deadshot) is replaced by "Manhunters around the World" from World's Finest (I think?)

Interior paper quality is lower. Covers have no gloss.   

On 11/20/2023 at 11:23 PM, stormflora said:

One thing I noticed from the indicia of the comics I purchased was that the Canadian versions were (obviously) printed in Canada, not the USA. This implies that a local corporation was sold the IP to produce their own copy of the original American version. Hence, in regards to printing and material quality, it would likely be more of a Canadian-specific issue, not necessarily an American one, as they were never imported to begin with. Perhaps Canadian corporations had no choice at the time but to offset the expenses of licensing by cutting corners wherever possible, knowing that Canadians would likely never be able to find out back in the day.

I'm afraid that you have it wrong.  Certain American titles gave license to Canadian publishers to print their fare in Canada, exactly as the U.S. edition.  About the only restriction was that the term, "Crime", could not be used in the title.  Atlas and EC were two of them.  WeirdSci16Canadian(1).thumb.jpg.3959fe951f624f82c1a61a20c02a3adf.jpg

Mystic 1 Canadian.jpg

Mystic 1 Cndn BC.jpg

Weird Sci 13 Nbr 2 Canadian.jpg