• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What will they call the next "era" of books??

100 posts in this topic

So we have Golden, Silver, Copper, Bronze and Modern age books.

I suspect "Modern" is here to stay with us but what will the books that are currently know as "modern" become next??

Brass, Zinc, Aluminum??

The broadest definition of the Golden Age covers about 20 years, for the Silver it's around 15 ( 1956-1971), for Bronze another 15 at most, Copper, only about a decade, and that's all if you overlap the ages. By most accounts the "modern age" is closing in on 25 years, so it probably is a good time to start thinking about what the era after copper should be.

I can remember those late 80s and early 90s books as if it was yesterday. They still feel modern to me. But, I’m in my 50s, so this is the sort of temporal merging together which tends to happen when you’re long in the tooth. Given that I’m reading digital now and nothing as physical copies, and not missing the latter, you can guess which description I favour.

The broadest definition of the Golden Age covers about 20 years, for the Silver it's around 15 ( 1956-1971), for Bronze another 15 at most, Copper, only about a decade, and that's all if you overlap the ages. By most accounts the "modern age" is closing in on 25 years, so it probably is a good time to start thinking about what the era after copper should be.

...if all we're concerned with here is a passage of time, then grouping by decade is probably the best way...... the Golden Age and Silver Age achieved their respective titles because of what had been produced during that period.... the material created the parameter for classification, it wasn't just applied randomly or haphazardly because there was nothing better to do. It was "earned" if that is even the right word. Maybe "deserved" is more accurate. I can't remember the last time a noteworthy change occurred in comics..... it's been the same 'ole same 'ole since the Walking Dead over a decade ago, and that was more a crystallization of themes and ideas that had been gestating since the late 80's. The fact that no one seems to be able to make anything stick seems to illustrate my point. If I had to come up with something, 1990-2000 would be "Chromium" and 2000 -2010ish would be "variant"...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...if all we're concerned with here is a passage of time, then grouping by decade is probably the best way...... the Golden Age and Silver Age achieved their respective titles because of what had been produced during that period.... the material created the parameter for classification, it wasn't just applied randomly or haphazardly because there was nothing better to do. It was "earned" if that is even the right word. Maybe "deserved" is more accurate. I can't remember the last time a noteworthy change occurred in comics..... it's been the same 'ole same 'ole since the Walking Dead over a decade ago, and that was more a crystallization of themes and ideas that had been gestating since the late 80's. The fact that no one seems to be able to make anything stick seems to illustrate my point. If I had to come up with something, 1990-2000 would be "Chromium" and 2000 -2010ish would be "variant"...... GOD BLESS...

I think Jimbo is exactly right, and I have felt this way since '70s books began to be referred to as Bronze. There are two important historical eras of greatest significance in the hobby; the rest is labels for decades, varying levels of minor importance aside. (This does NOT, to my thinking, diminish major singular events/appearances in those later eras. Like many of you, I can articulate and support the arguments for the importance of GL76, ASM96, Hulk 181, independent publishers, direct distribution, etc.) Not every timespan needs an "era" label, but we've got them so we use them out of convenience and common nomenclature. It is telling that we are going on 25 years and no new designation is catching on.

I think Jimbo is exactly right, and I have felt this way since '70s books began to be referred to as Bronze. There are two important historical eras of greatest significance in the hobby; the rest is labels for decades, varying levels of minor importance aside. (This does NOT, to my thinking, diminish major singular events/appearances in those later eras. Like many of you, I can articulate and support the arguments for the importance of GL76, ASM96, Hulk 181, independent publishers, direct distribution, etc.) Not every timespan needs an "era" label, but we've got them so we use them out of convenience and common nomenclature. It is telling that we are going on 25 years and no new designation is catching on.

...I want to clarify one thing about my post.... I don't mean to imply that comics from the last couple of decades are devolving or somehow substandard.... in fact, I feel they have highlights that are as good as it gets. My point is that, to me, the medium has fully evolved and the application of further categorization is meaningless, except where historical overtures are influential, which tends to apply more to marketing issues and those relationships..... like the emergence of variant rarities to service the slabbing demands of the last decade or so..... As for Bronze Age, perhaps an argument for it's intrinsic relevance is the loosening of the Comics Code and the wave of fresh material that ensued..... unfortunately, that "freshness", again, to me, seemed to quickly become gratuitous. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)