• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK edition vs REGULAR

44 posts in this topic

Usually about 50 % or so less for the UK version.

It might help you to know though that they are exactly the SAME other than the price. They rolled off the presses at the same time and in my view should carry the same monetary value.

If you have some very valuable Silver Age books to sell, it would be worth a trip to London to offload them. They are priced at the same rate as the US priced versions over there. Sometimes you can get even more as the US versions were price stamped by the stores with UK prices.

The weird thing is that Chuck Roszanski at Mile High has a couple of FF's and Avengers issues with the pence price and he actually charges more for these than the cents issues...

But then again 'make a buck' rhymes with 'Chuck'... and so does another little word blush.gif

I'd have to disagree with the valuations. Pence copies are not touched by 75% of English collectors as they are not true 'American Comics'. I am a seller in England and would say that 90% of pence issues are sold to Americans. There has been a long (long, long) argument in England as to whether they should be considered different, with many different views. My view is that they were printed at the same time, off the same press, they are the same comic, so they are the same! Most modern comics have all world prices printed on them, and nobody cares where they were bought do they?

As a former store owner, I can tell you we used to sell Silver Age UK Marvels for about 2/3 of the going rate and Bronze for about half. An exception was Xmen 109 which Joe Koch seemed to have an endless supply and always moved quite well for me. The Blackshadroch

by the way, 50% less is completely wrong in any way, shape or form! 10% maximum

You tell me where I can get high grade Silver Age UK versions for 10% of the US valuation and I will buy them all.

In my experiance this is simply not true. I have spent lots of time in the UK and the fact of the matter is comic books are priced much higher there than in the US in general and you CERTAINLY can't pick up Silver Age books at price levels you are talking about.

Sounds more like it. grin.gif

They may be only 10% less in the UK, which is why I suggested to the original poster to sell them in London if he had some valuable stuff, he'd get a much better price than in the States.

They just don't don't reach those kind of levels in the US though as most collectors see them as 'foreign' and often regard them as second printings (which is wrong).

Let me say it again. Pence issues are worth 10% less than US editions at a maximum. The only people that pay LESS for Pence copies are the ENGLISH. I sell allmy pnce copies to the US and they are all quite happy to take them. Offer an Amazing Fantasy 15 Pence copy to British based comic-bic or comicana, you will receive the same response "we don't buy pence copies", without even quoting a price! Offer these to comiclink or milehigh (or any US company) then they would be happy to take them off your hands!

The only people that pay LESS for Pence copies are the ENGLISH

Thats very interesting to hear you say that but how much hard evidence do you have to support it?.

I am not wholely disputing what you say, it is just that from my experience US collectors, if faced with a choice between identical pence and cents copies would pick the cents one. Dealers,on the other hand, I can't speak for.

I agree with you that they SHOULD be valued the at the same level, but the perception of most collectors is that the US versions are the originals and therefore are more desirable.

I agree with you that they SHOULD be valued the at the same level

I strongly disagree. A big reason why people collect comics is for nostalgic reasons. I grew up reading the Claremont/Smith X-Men run, Simonson Thors, Moore Swamp Things...not surprisingly, these were the among the first books I picked up when CGC hit the scene. I was recently offered a Canadian version of a key Modern book from this era (highest graded CGC copy), with the only difference being a 75 (Canadian) cent cover price versus a 60 cent US cover price. I had to turn down the offer - a 75 cent cover price did not jibe with the memories of my youth. Maybe if I had grown up in Canada, but not otherwise.

So, I can easily understand why Silver Age collectors would balk at buying a book with a price denominated in a strange foreign currency (it's not weird to me, but as fewer than 10% of Americans even own a passport, you get my meaning). At least Canada uses dollars and cents. In other words, it's not just the creative content of the book that matters. We want pristine copies of ASM, as if they were just plucked from the spinner rack at the local soda shop where we got our books as a kid. None of these comics had "9d" or "9p" on the cover instead of "12c". Without that nostalgia factor, the books are justifably worth much less.

And the claim that nearly all British collectors prefer the American versions is not entirely accurate. As one writer noted:

"Many [u.K.] collectors feel that as American comics they should have the original American price while others, content in their nostalgia, prefer the pence pricing as that is what they remember as children." (full text available at: http://195.12.228.253/big-tel/market/market.htm )

You will notice again the nostalgia theme echoed here. Let's face it - the value of a comic is determined almost entirely by psychology. And the psychology of buyers is that nostalgia is worth paying up for. Cents copies = more nostalgia for the predominant US buyers = more $$$. It's as simple as that. No need to talk about rarity or print runs or variants or whatever else.

- Gene

Liverpool = chokers!! Michael Owen...overrated!! Emile Heskey - no wonder England never gets anywhere in international competition!

BTW - "Gooner" is slang for an Arsenal supporter (Google "Arsenal Gooners" and see what comes up...)

- One-Nil to Gene