• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few boards tweaks to note
1 1

86 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hi all,

I've tweaked a few things that are worth noting:

1. I found a way to reveal the signature settings, and you'll find a link at the top of the page on the right to get there

2. I added a "Forum Jump" drop down to make it easy to navigate between major forum areas without having to go UP and then back DOWN

3. I added a plugin that places a navigation option in small text on the bottom right of the page (just above the footer) and on the top left (just below the header) called "Jump To" which gives you a way to go straight to a specific forum. It takes a couple of clicks, which I don't love, but it's better than not having it.

4. I added a plugin that puts a small envelop next to the "report post" link at the top of every post. This allows you to quickly quote that post in a PM to the author. WARNING: it's a little annoying to add your own text. You have to click at the bottom of the quote text and then add enough new lines to get out of the quote box and add something new. Not ideal, but still handy.

Thanks for the update!

Arch,  will you guys be tweaking

• the white areas - just way too much of it
  • the amount of posts per page
  • the over all color scheme of the forum - not enough contrast right now between new posts, old posts, font and background, etc.

There's probably more but these seem to be the biggest complaints from what I've read.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Thanks for the update!

Arch,  will you guys be tweaking

• the white areas - just way too much of it
  • the amount of posts per page
  • the over all color scheme of the forum - not enough contrast right now between new posts, old posts, font and background, etc.

There's probably more but these seem to be the biggest complaints from what I've read.

White areas and colors - I assume we'll offer some options here, but I haven't spoken to the designer. I made a little experimental theme that I tweaked colors on as a way to get feedback on some changes, but all I discovered is that I'm not a designer, so I took it back out.

Amount of posts per page - I adjusted that upwards a bit this morning, but I think what people are asking for is DENSITY not total # per page. Have to defer to the designer on that one. I wouldn't know where to tweak it anyway.

I'm sure we'll look into it, though.

8 hours ago, Architecht said:

White areas and colors - I assume we'll offer some options here, but I haven't spoken to the designer. I made a little experimental theme that I tweaked colors on as a way to get feedback on some changes, but all I discovered is that I'm not a designer, so I took it back out.

Amount of posts per page - I adjusted that upwards a bit this morning, but I think what people are asking for is DENSITY not total # per page. Have to defer to the designer on that one. I wouldn't know where to tweak it anyway.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply.

I understand that CGC is probably going for a corporate color scheme to look like the rest of their website but you really need to get some contrast in ala the old site. Otherwise, right now this is almost unreadable.

RE: density, more posts or threads per page - whatever you call it, yes, there is just too little on a page right now.

Some other great suggestions above as well.

Edited by VintageComics

8 hours ago, Architecht said:

Hi,

Anyway we could click by most views all-time? That way we could see what the most popular threads where of all-time. A lot of other message boards I am on have that feature. An example is I click on views  and then it sorts by most views. Another similar would be replies. Sort by most replies. 

Any way of fixing the ability to not see a quoted post from someone you have on Ignore? Kinda makes the point null if you have someone on Ignore and then the next poster quotes them and you can see the Ignored posters post :whistle:

8 hours ago, CAHokie said:

Anyone who is willing to give up their honor for a custom title deserves neither and will lose both! :P

Blatant attempts to get custom titles will never be rewarded. :baiting:

I posted this elsewhere and I think  it's worth reposting.

I agree that the way the new boards look suck orangutan nuggets but if you guys really want to make a change, rather than everyone complain about it in every corner of the forum in a way where most complaints are lost at sea, people should make concerted efforts to start and post in threads directly on topic so that those in charge can see the unified protest.

Right now most complaints are like a message in a bottle being thrown out at sea. You're hoping someone sees it. Everyone just randomly complaining in all corners is going to guarantee that most points get missed as they are diluted among regular conversation.

The onus is on the protester to make their voice heard loud and clear.

That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree with it .

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I posted this elsewhere and I think  it's worth reposting.

I agree that the way the new boards look suck orangutan nuggets but if you guys really want to make a change, rather than everyone complain about it in every corner of the forum in a way where most complaints are lost at sea, people should make concerted efforts to start and post in threads directly on topic so that those in charge can see the unified protest.

Right now most complaints are like a message in a bottle being thrown out at sea. You're hoping someone sees it. Everyone just randomly complaining in all corners is going to guarantee that most points get missed as they are diluted among regular conversation.

The onus is on the protester to make their voice heard loud and clear.

That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree with it .

I made a similar point elsewhere, but I've forgotten where it was Roy :wink:

You can't blame us though, as Arch started this thread as a new one in CG when he could have posted it under the 'Important - Chat Boards Upgrade' thread in CG, or, better still, in the Questions section re the new boards. So it's his fault.

I know nothing about designs of websites and what is good or bad. My impression is this new thing is very similar to Collectors Universe layout, without any border lines. Interesting that they also recently upgraded their look. Monkey see monkey do, I guess. I can get used to anything. I am easy. I never post pictures, so I have that going for me, because it doesn't matter to me what is an easier way to do that or not. However, the designer should have an Ophthalmologist review things,  because the one issue I do have is that it is very harsh on the eyes, and does cause a slight dizzy headache, and my vision is quite good. I not when Mr. Arch posts, there is a pretty line border around it. That helped a little.

13 minutes ago, Dog Like Sparky said:

You can't blame us though,

No blame. Just hoping that people band together and the upper management gets the feedback they need.