• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few boards tweaks to note
1 1

86 posts in this topic

To follow up, right now this is the top non-stickied thread in Comics General since I bumped it, but on my home monitor I have to scroll through four full screens of stuff to get to it. On the old boards, it would have been scrolling through two screens at most... I can easily tell by looking at the old Comics General. So to see just the most basic information I'm scrolling twice as much, let alone all the extra scrolling in the threads themselves.

Is there a way to have every post you make show the people you are ignoring so they'll constantly be reminded that you are ignoring them?  This could save a lot of unnecessary posts....

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

you can actually highlight all the posts you want to quote. Once they are highlighted a small black box pops up and asks if you want to quote it all. Click on the black box and it automatically quotes everything you've highlighted.

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!  :applause:

• Administrator
On 2/10/2017 at 8:16 PM, HarveySwick said:

@Architecht

I've mentioned this a few times and you replied in another thread.

I used to view the Boards with Watched forums/topics. I clicked on the "dots" for certain subforums to add to my Watched Forums. Then when I went to "My Watched Lists" I could watch for new posts in all of the Forums I liked. You mentioned Activity Streams here. How do I add Forums to my "Watched Lists" like on the Old Boards?

There is a plus sign in a green circle next to the forum name at the top of the thread list.

@Architecht

All that does is add the forum to a notification list. I mean, is there away to add/subtract forums to ONE list? So, instead of looking at CG, then Modern, then Copper, then Bronze, then the Sales Forums all individually, I could look at them all at once on the same screen.

Edited by HarveySwick

@HarveySwick Once you follow some things you can go to "activity streams on content I follow".  Not sure you're selecting the proper thing (there's a little arrow to the right that allows you to edit your activity streams.

I don't know why anyone would follow an entire forum or sub-forum but I guess that would also work.   I'm not going to try it, I'm mostly just getting updates on things I've posted & then toggled the "notify me"

activity streams on content i follow.png

I have a question that may have been answered.  Sorry.   When opening a thread that you have already read but has a few new posts, it used to open y]to the first unread post.

That doesn't seem to still happen? Or do I have to do something new?

6 minutes ago, Aman201719 said:

I have a question that may have been answered.  Sorry.   When opening a thread that you have already read but has a few new posts, it used to open y]to the first unread post.

That doesn't seem to still happen? Or do I have to do something new?

You need to click on the circle or star to the left of the thread title. 

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

@HarveySwick Once you follow some things you can go to "activity streams on content I follow".  Not sure you're selecting the proper thing (there's a little arrow to the right that allows you to edit your activity streams.

I don't know why anyone would follow an entire forum or sub-forum but I guess that would also work.   I'm not going to try it, I'm mostly just getting updates on things I've posted & then toggled the "notify me"

activity streams on content i follow.png

@bababooey

Thank you. :foryou:(worship)

This post right here has given me hope that I can figure this place out. I've been playing around with the Following of threads and just now finally was able to tailor the Activity Streams to my liking. This has made this experience a little better. I still hope they shrink the fonts and eliminate some dead space. And I dream that they'll come up with a "Classic" skin. But for now, I like that I can pick and choose certain things that I like to follow and get notifications when posts are made in certain threads or in different areas of the Board. THAT is pretty cool. ( :gossip: I still mildly dislike the New Boards, but I've moved away from hate).

Thanks again!

Edited by HarveySwick

Swick, you should collect all the data as members figure things out and create a how to use the new forum thread!

:shy: Im only half kidding...Im sure it would be useful for everyone.

May I ask where things stand in terms of editing posts? I'd like to start preparing a sales thread for an upcoming board event in a few weeks ... and it's something I like to build a bit at a time.  But I don't want to do it until I know that the editing clock is back to being turned off as it was previously on the old board.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, fmaz said:

May I ask where things stand in terms of editing posts? I'd like to start preparing a sales thread for an upcoming board event in a few weeks ... and it's something I like to build a bit at a time.  But I don't want to do it until I know that the editing clock is back to being turned off as it was previously on the old board.

Thanks!

Click the edit button at the bottom of your posts.

Also, I just pm myself and build my stuff in a message to myself rather than using the test thread.

Edited by lizards2
added stuff

8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Also, I just pm myself and build my stuff in a message to myself rather than using the test thread.

The PM idea is pretty good, thanks. I've known others who've done it... and it's been the reason I've gotten some weird accidental PM's over the years! lol

I know the edit button is working, but the issue right now is that you can only edit a document for a limited number of days... after that ... you're locked out.  So even if you DO get your sales thread ready in PM? Once you post it and start running it? If it's a long lasting one, after a few days (last I checked?) you'll no longer be able to edit it.  They said they were going to fix that ... my question was if it had been done yet.

But in the interim, i think I might try the PM thing. Thanks

16 minutes ago, fmaz said:

28 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The PM idea is pretty good, thanks. I've known others who've done it... and it's been the reason I've gotten some weird accidental PM's over the years! lol

I know the edit button is working, but the issue right now is that you can only edit a document for a limited number of days... after that ... you're locked out.  So even if you DO get your sales thread ready in PM? Once you post it and start running it? If it's a long lasting one, after a few days (last I checked?) you'll no longer be able to edit it.  They said they were going to fix that ... my question was if it had been done yet.

But in the interim, i think I might try the PM thing. Thanks

I actually build my sales thread in a coded Word document, and then cut an paste into the sales thread.  I use the PM first just to make sure the coding works.

On 2/10/2017 at 8:43 AM, VintageComics said:

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply.

I understand that CGC is probably going for a corporate color scheme to look like the rest of their website but you really need to get some contrast in ala the old site. Otherwise, right now this is almost unreadable.

RE: density, more posts or threads per page - whatever you call it, yes, there is just too little on a page right now.

Some other great suggestions above as well.

Running a scan of the site there are a bunch of areas where the contrast is too low (click on contrast in the left-hand column.) The main body text isn't identified, but it's a smallish off-black font on a light grey background. That's not a color/font choice I would make for this user population (it includes a lot of older folks.) 

http://wave.webaim.org/report#/https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/410146-a-few-boards-tweaks-to-note/

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

How did you do that?  Don't you have yourself on ignore?