• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTA 13 CGC 9.2 on eBay
1 1

44 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, jimjum12 said:

As scarce as these PHM's are in grade, 20K for the book isn't what I would call frivolous. Groot has staying power......heck, I want a copy, but a 5.0 would suit me..... but it would have to be the "right" 5.0. ......... I wouldn't be surprised to see two motivated bidders with a long term focus take something like this to 40K, but 80K would be a stretch....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I've been in the market for a copy of that book for 20+ years. I saw plenty of copies, just not the "right" one so I never pulled the trigger. In hindsight that was a bad call, but I never felt a push to get one because there were enough of them. Groot does have staying power, but I've always thought the prices that this book has been realizing lately are way too high. I could see $20,000 for a 9.2, but the number of players who A) care, and B) have that kind of money for this particular book has to be a fairly small club.

Maybe I'm just bitter because a run-of-the-mill pre-hero Marvel I need for my TTA run is over $1000 in Good. I'm used to paying $300-400 for VF- in this timeframe when I hit an auction right.

I passed on it over the years because I didn't like it as well as some of the others..... but I loved the movie and especially Groot......so now, I am equally corn-cobbed in my pursuit. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

39 minutes ago, Johnny545 said:

Bidding top dollar to chase high grade books from this period feels like a fools errand.  Plenty of them out there (1960...) <----- 2 Cents.

Agreed, but maybe not so many in 9.0+. But if you're talking VF range there is no real shortage for the demand that is out there at present.

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Agreed, but maybe not so many in 9.0+. But if you're talking VF range there is no real shortage for the demand that is out there at present.

Maybe not so many, but the census numbers should provide some caution:  

TTA 14 - 4 in 9.2, 2 in 9.0

TTA 15 - 2 in 9.4, 3 in 9.2, 3 in 9.0

TTA 16 - 1 in 9.6, 3 in 9.2, 3 in 9.0

No reason to think TTA 13 numbers won't end up with similar distributions.

Also, I assume TTA 13 has always been more coveted and cared for by collectors than issues 14-16, so while it is slightly earlier it may end up with a few more higher grade examples on the census. 

(By all means buy a TTA 13 if you can at a good price, I like the book - talking only about paying top, top dollar for what may now be considered a rare, high grade copy.)

Edited by Johnny545

1 minute ago, Johnny545 said:

Maybe not so many, but the census numbers should provide some caution:  

TTA 14 - 4 in 9.2, 2 in 9.0

TTA 15 - 2 in 9.4, 3 in 9.2, 3 in 9.0

TTA 16 - 1 in 9.6, 3 in 9.2, 3 in 9.0

No reason to think TTA 13 numbers won't end up with similar distributions.

Also, I assume TTA 13 has always been more coveted and thus cared for by collectors than issues 14-16, so while it is slightly earlier it may end up with a few more higher grade examples on the census. 

(By all means buy a TTA 13 if you can at a good price, I like the book - talking only about paying top, top dollar for what may now be considered a rare, high grade copy.)

I'm not sure anyone gave a particular rat's @ss about TTA #13 more than any other pre-hero TTA prior to the movie, or maybe Groot's addition to the GOTG comic lineup. Prior to that, he wasn't any more important than Grottu, Goom, or Gargantus. Certainly not in Fin Fang Foom's league by any stretch.

5 hours ago, mysterio said:

I'm not sure anyone gave a particular rat's @ss about TTA #13 more than any other pre-hero TTA prior to the movie, or maybe Groot's addition to the GOTG comic lineup. Prior to that, he wasn't any more important than Grottu, Goom, or Gargantus. Certainly not in Fin Fang Foom's league by any stretch.

Right on the money. I've been collecting pre-hero Marvels for as long as I've been collecting comics (40+ years). TTA #13 was just another pre-hero giant monster book until the movie.

On 2/11/2017 at 2:55 PM, Gotham Kid said:

yeah, how do you jump from 25 to 60 !?

I had actually reported the listing to ebay ( suspect of shill bidding ) a couple days ago. nada.

Just leave things like this alone, it's not you're auction or your book or you're money. Of course the auction is going to go high, it's almost impossible to find in HG.  It's up to the bidder who wins the auction if they want to pay it, even if there is all kinds of shilling. 

9 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Just leave things like this alone, it's not you're auction or your book or you're money. Of course the auction is going to go high, it's almost impossible to find in HG.  It's up to the bidder who wins the auction if they want to pay it, even if there is all kinds of shilling. 

I was told  that the winning bidder has a long history of

1)bidding on sellers auctions

2)only buys items typically in the $5-25 range

leaving alone blatant attempts at market manipulation (for whatever reason), IS something this community should be on  the lookout for (and subsequently report, imo)...

You don't need to police it "I was told..."  told by who?  "A source"?   Either the buyer pays for it or he doesn't.  Most people don't have the deep pockets to pay that anyway.  How do you know for a fact the winning buyer doesn't have the funds?  Buying history means nothing.  Bechara bought a silver age JLA cover art on his wife's ebay account, so you never know what people are capable of

Look at sellers completed auctions. Both of the 2 high bidders have bid (shilled imo) the sellers auctions. When you have a 1500 feedback history of buying $5 Pokémon cards , cheap clothes , etc I'm going to call a duck a duck. You can believe what you want but it is what it is, and I believe it is worth the investigation to confirm the book has not and will not be paid for. 

My source is my source, and had been 100% credible in the past so I chose to relay and believe it to be 100% not legit. But if you don't care for my opinion , ignore it :) 

On 2/11/2017 at 6:20 AM, goldust40 said:

Guy who bought that in 2012 paid less than $3K.

I'm running this book down because there is no way that auction is real.  Guy who bought it in 2012 is NOT the current seller, since this book sold on CC in 2014. http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=577978 $14,997.

So yea up till the day before the auction started, the seller had the book listed on eBay with a BIN of $99,995 (and $150 in shipping) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-to-Astonish-13-CGC-9-2-1st-Groot-GUARDIANS-OF-THE-GALAXY-MARVEL-1961-/182425660581?hash=item2a796aaca5:g:qRoAAOSwaG9XJkft

This is REALLY smelling shilled.

On 14/2/2017 at 9:09 PM, mysterio said:

This