• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED - moved to the bay - GA Alex Schomburg WWII, misc GA, freebies
2 2

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, path4play said:

Interesting.  The Fighting Yank also has a camp type cover, I wonder about Schomburg himself.  Was he the only one doing these types of covers?  Did he know stuff? How much did the general public know about these during actual war time?   Today's editors would probably think twice before signing off on the print run for this kind of stuff.  No grey areas during these times.

Schomburg did quite a few covers like this, there's also a green hornet camp cover. I believe that he wanted to expose what was really going on to the general public. This is clearly evident by his famous Holocaust cover in Captain America Comics 46. For the most part I think people started hearing and learning about these things after the war, and I agree there was more leniency back then.

Edited by streyouttacomics

13 hours ago, path4play said:

Interesting.  The Fighting Yank also has a camp type cover, I wonder about Schomburg himself.  Was he the only one doing these types of covers?  Did he know stuff? How much did the general public know about these during actual war time?   Today's editors would probably think twice before signing off on the print run for this kind of stuff.  No grey areas during these times.

Biro placed the entire run of his "Corporal Collins" character in real time based on the war news he probably got from Europe: stories are easy (and sometimes so-so) but it’s fascinating regardless.
In "Topix" there is a life of St. Benedict which starts with the bombing of Mount Cassino and that was shortly afterwards the fact.
I also have a comics journal from right after the war that has scenes imagining the gas chambers.

I asked because I am very interested in these representations, would love to hear more from those who know about that cover: it seemed an american landscape to me as well…

11 hours ago, streyouttacomics said:

Schomburg did quite a few covers like this, there's also a green hornet camp cover. I believe that he wanted to expose what was really going on to the general public. This is clearly evident by his famous Holocaust cover in Captain America Comics 46. For the most part I think people started hearing and learning about these things after the war, and I agree there was more leniency back then.

Ooh, I would SO love to have a Captain America #46… even one without the back cover would do! lol

On 12/2/2017 at 8:06 PM, streyouttacomics said:

Its one of his best!

It’s mostly for the importance of the topic, related to my research. I would really love to find one!
I have relevant similar material from France, and even a collected series of cartoons from the journal of the SS.

Any holocaust-related cover is very relevant, as there was little awareness about concentration camps et al. before the end of 1943, also in Germany.