• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is grading getting worse along with people's eyesight?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Just putting this out there... as the collecting population ages, more people will inevitably need glasses.  I've noticed a lot of odd grades in the sales threads, as well as the occasional "oh... I didn't see that" when I'm buying.  I used to think sellers were being jerks, or they were incompetent, but I wonder if they just needed a higher prescription.  I don't doubt that there are still incompetent sellers, but I don't want to harsh on someone if they're genuinely trying, but can't focus enough to see a faint tide line.

Thoughts?  Does anyone here get help with grading, or advise people they're transacting with that they may miss something because of their eyesight?

I only grade in one room of the house any more - under a vanity light fixture with 5 60 watt lights, some other room lights, and sun tunnel/skylight.  Still, I miss things occasionally.  However, judging by what I get in the mail, I'm doing pretty well.  :preach:

There is no doubt that once you need reading glasses, it's easier to miss small flaws... especially in low light. 

And quite frankly, there are a lot of people who are not very observant. They simply do not "see" fine detail and it has nothing to do with their vision declining.

1 hour ago, mrmyst said:

Yeah because 25 years ago everybody accurately graded every single book they sold.  And everyone with 20-20 vision is a grading whiz.

I don't think anyone was claiming that.

That said, 25 years ago the grading standards are not what they are today. Given the minute nuances between grades these days plus there are more age 40+ collectors, the OP makes a fair point in my view. I'm not sure it's a major factor, but likely comes into play at times.

It could definitely affect grading...my eyesight on small, close-up details has rapidly declined the last few years. I don't need glasses...except for reading small print...but I do recognize that I need readers to accurately grade comics and have been using them for awhile now to make sure I don't miss anything. Most people are stubborn/reluctant to admit they need reading glasses and hate wearing them...myself included. But when I noticed how much difference it makes in noticing small details, I bought a few cheap pairs at the grocery store and now keep some in my comic room :)

I'm 28, have never worn glasses/see fine and have always collected comics because my dad and uncle got me hooked at a young age, and I have been off on every 'Hey Buddy Can You Spare A Grade?' thread I have attempted, mind you, I under graded.

For what it is worth I think some people see things others do not, just like some hear things others do not (not those vioces fellas!) and also I think one is always going to be more critical about a book someone else owns than their own...2c

46 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Dont know about the grading issues but selling on the boards is more and more complicated. People here want 35 % discount or more . I been receiving a lot of low ball offers lately.

I think a lot of that has to do with the US dollar being high at the moment. A lot of non US buyers get priced out....