• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Donald Duck appearance in comics?????

15 posts in this topic

What say you, Donald Duck experts?

From PGX's news blog:

For the last 70 years comic book collectors have been able to enjoy the Donald Duck character in comic books and for the last few years, collectors have recognized Mickey Mouse Magazine Volume 2, Issue #5 as the first comic book appearance of Donald Duck. Regarding this promotional issue dated March 1935, the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide notes, "1st appearance Donald Duck in sailor outfit on cover." Accordingly, this book is broken out in the price guide to reflect the added importance of this key first appearance. However, this appears to have been incorrect.

While grading a complete run of Mickey Mouse Magazine Volumes 1 and 2 in January 2005, Professional Grading eXperts, LLC (PGX) discovered an earlier appearance of Donald Duck in Volume 2, issue #1, page 6. This issue is dated November 1934, pre-dating the previous "first appearance" by 4 months.

dd1.jpg

"It's certainly Donald Duck, sailor suit and all," noted PGX President / Senior Grader Daniel Patterson. "Because PGX graded the entire set of Volume 1 and 2, we are able to definitively state that Volume 2, Issue #1 contains the first comic book depiction of Donald Duck."

dd2.jpg

Currently, the Overstreet Price Guide does not break out Mickey Mouse Magazine Volume 2, #1, nor does it provide any specific notes for this issue.

"I hope that this appearance will be noted in Overstreet going forward." Patterson added. "This is a key issue featuring the first comic book appearance of an iconic character."

I'm sure hkp and our real duck experts will weigh in on this. I'm just in awe of the book, from 1934 and still in that shape! 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Yeah, PGX has some serious Disney collectors who submit books for grading. As far as PGX slabbed golden age books are concerned, I have seen more insane Disney books in PGX holders than from any other publisher. I don't know if they're all from one submittor or what. hail.gif indeed!

Where do you see all these killer PGX'd duck books?

A couple of guys from Oregon would sell them. TDComix, Christinascollectibles, and Barksducksuo. I have seen Geppi bid on them in the past. TDComix/Christinascollectibles has had some INSANE duck books in the past 18 months or so!

Pretty amazing stuff. I was wondering why I never saw these books in my eBay searches, but now I see he lists them only in the Platinum section, which I don't normally search. You'd think the seller would spend a few extra pennies and dual list them in the GA section to ensure maximum coverage.

Anyways, I'm really a Barks ducks fan rather than just a ducks fan, so while I admire these books they don't do anything for me. Guys like hkp are hardcore and want the early WDC&Ss and MMs. A.D. 0 for me is FC #9.

Pretty amazing stuff. I was wondering why I never saw these books in my eBay searches, but now I see he lists them only in the Platinum section, which I don't normally search. You'd think the seller would spend a few extra pennies and dual list them in the GA section to ensure maximum coverage.

Anyways, I'm really a Barks ducks fan rather than just a ducks fan, so while I admire these books they don't do anything for me. Guys like hkp are hardcore and want the early WDC&Ss and MMs. A.D. 0 for me is FC #9.

Well then I hope Hans sees this thread before the auction ends in a couple of days! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My first thought when I saw these books was whether they are genuine. While I have every reason to believe that they are, I will leave them to other collectors with greater faith in humanity and PGX-sellers.

These books are listed in the Promo section of the OS Guide. I think PGX's complaint is that this book hasn't been recognized as DD's first comic appearance. Have you seen the interior of one of these books before, Hans?

saw this on stl, and the odds of this happening are quite rare, and very cool, hope the buyer cracks it and sends some more scans of the interior :P

I am interested in hearing about the provenance of this book. Books like that in that kind of shape don't usually show up out of nowhere.

thanks for this link. they have discussed these books quite abit there.

I was certainly hoping to see more discussion on the books here.

they look amazing.

I am not normally a platinum or disney collector, but these rare beauties have me drooling