• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cons, Handcarts, suggestions and etiquette

20 posts in this topic

As an increasingly aged and fat man who is also an avid dollar box diver, it doesn't take very long for me to accumulate some massive stacks when I attend a con. In the past I'd use a series of backpacks, satchels, etc to haul my load around until it became unwieldy, at which point I'd usually make a long walk to the car to drop off the stash, rinse and repeat. But I'd like to find an alternative that would lead to less back pain and fewer trips off of the show floor.

I know that handcarts/rolling thingies are specifically prohibited at many shows such as SDCC, but I definitely see them pop up a lot at smaller shows. I've been thinking that for my next con, I'd like to maybe get a small cart which would accommodate, say, 2 or 3 short boxes. But first, some questions:

1. Does anyone do this, and if so, have any specific recommendations for a particular model? Something sturdy but as unobtrusive would be ideal.

2. Even if such carts aren't specifically verboten, are they generally frowned upon? Am I going to be "that guy"? Because I'd rather just carry the books around instead of being "that guy." Nobody likes "that guy."

And that should get us started. Go!

I usually fly to conventions so I cannot carry back hundreds of books. If you can handle a cart without bashing into everyone around you, I say do what you gotta do.

Edited by joeypost

What about a suitcase with wheels? If anyone complains just pick it up and carry it until they are out of sight, then let the wheels do the work again. Either that or hire someone - maybe tell them that you will pay their way in if they carry your stuff for you.

unless you're planning on getting a job with someone there or dating someone there, it doesn't really matter if you're that guy (although if you're going with friends/family you may not want to embarrass them).  Unless you're being somewhat wild about it and could accidentally hurt someone.  Otherwise, comply w/rules and do what you gotta do.  You might get quietly cursed under someone's breath, but you will be forgotten instantaneously.

Thanks everyone for the input, you've given me the confidence to go ahead with the scheme! And Murphman, thanks for the pic, that is precisely what I need! Now I just gotta go find one. Thanks again folks!

23 hours ago, ThreeSeas said:

What about a suitcase with wheels? If anyone complains just pick it up and carry it until they are out of sight, then let the wheels do the work again. Either that or hire someone - maybe tell them that you will pay their way in if they carry your stuff for you.

NYCC says no handcarts, but then I see some people with them.  They might have snuck them in with dealer stuff though.  I am afraid to have mine confiscated at the door.

I have a small bag with wheels.  it is stiff enough that I can bungee/tape a box on top of the bag part while also having some stuff in the suitcase part.  It isn't ideal, but it is better than nothing.

I then wear a huge backpack and I also have a tote bag that fits a shortbox nicely.  The IKEA blue bags do not work!

I am about ready for a heart attack at the end of a show lugging all this krap around.  My 11 year old is not that helpful.  I have a few guys I trust (like Ben from Zapp) and if I have bought a pile from him, I trust him to hold a short box for me until the next day (if we're talking about NYCC) when I might have a lighter load. 

As for you being an old fat guy dollar box diving..... as another old fat dollar box buyer...stay off my turf!!

Edited by the blob

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks everyone for the input, you've given me the confidence to go ahead with the scheme! And Murphman, thanks for the pic, that is precisely what I need! Now I just gotta go find one. Thanks again folks!

what murphman showed is precisely what i thought the big cons don't allow?

i definitely used one of those at smaller Carbo NYC shows when I used to go.  Seriously, shouldn't the show promoters WANT you to buy a ton of stuff from the dealers?  I know they clutter the aisles, but people with these ARE SPENDING MONEY, not showing off a costume with huge wings or whatever, dealers should be annoyed by any prohibition.

36 minutes ago, the blob said:

what murphman showed is precisely what i thought the big cons don't allow?

i definitely used one of those at smaller Carbo NYC shows when I used to go.  Seriously, shouldn't the show promoters WANT you to buy a ton of stuff from the dealers?  I know they clutter the aisles, but people with these ARE SPENDING MONEY, not showing off a costume with huge wings or whatever, dealers should be annoyed by any prohibition.

Well I know the big shows tend to forbid them, but on the smaller local shows, at least according to their websites, I haven't seen anything prohibiting them. So for my needs, something like the above looks like it'd work perfectly. And I agree, I'd think they'd want people wheeling carts of merch around much more than they'd want the cosplayers in huge costumes eating up aisle space. I think I'll try it at Lexington Comic Con next month and see how it goes!

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Well I know the big shows tend to forbid them, but on the smaller local shows, at least according to their websites, I haven't seen anything prohibiting them. So for my needs, something like the above looks like it'd work perfectly. And I agree, I'd think they'd want people wheeling carts of merch around much more than they'd want the cosplayers in huge costumes eating up aisle space. I think I'll try it at Lexington Comic Con next month and see how it goes!

should be able to get a nice one for $25-30 or less.  crappy cheap ones have crappy cheap wheels that break, so watch out for that.

17 hours ago, the blob said:

should be able to get a nice one for $25-30 or less.  crappy cheap ones have crappy cheap wheels that break, so watch out for that.

Good advice! I definitely don't want to drag a cart around with broken wheels, full of books!

If you don't know any dealers willing to hold your stuff, taking things back to the car is the only considerate thing to do.  There's no way you're wheeling a cart around the aisles without getting in my way, so be prepared for people to move it without your permission.  At best, people will be kicking it and tripping over it by accident.  You'll be upset, and people will think you're acting entitled.  It's not an argument you'll win.

2 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

If you don't know any dealers willing to hold your stuff, taking things back to the car is the only considerate thing to do.  There's no way you're wheeling a cart around the aisles without getting in my way, so be prepared for people to move it without your permission.  At best, people will be kicking it and tripping over it by accident.  You'll be upset, and people will think you're acting entitled.  It's not an argument you'll win.

Yeah, my leaving a box behind is a New York Cirty thing...back to the car...clearly you haven't been to NYCC!  Convention day parking around there costs the GDP of a small country if you can find any.  We have had miracles and found parking like 7 or 8 blocks away a couple of times over the last 8 or 9 years, but I would never count on it.  Once I parked 2 miles away on the street and took a cab to my car!

Thanks guys, I'm happy to hear all perspectives on it, and I was fully prepared to expect some cart kickers out there. I'm not 100% sold on the idea yet, but I may give it a test run on the first day of the next show I go to, and if it seems like it's annoying people (or even me) I'll drop it pretty quick!

19 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I thought we were talking about smaller shows?

No, never been to NYCC, but I'd still kick your cart :sumo:

I will sit on you and turn you into a diamond in the process.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I will sit on you and turn you into a diamond in the process.

And if my X-Men memories are correct, the Blob is an immovable object, so I wouldn't push my luck!

13 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

And if my X-Men memories are correct, the Blob is an immovable object, so I wouldn't push my luck!

Unfortunately, nowadays I weigh about treefiddy, so the truth is pretty close to the fiction