• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I hate winning bidders that messages you right after the listing ends that they cannot pay
1 1

77 posts in this topic

I just started selling comic books on eBay.   I hate that some bidders do not care about the time it takes to list a book and wait for the auction to end. Only to receive a message to simply ask if they can cancel.

I sold a CGC graded book last night and I get a message from a buyer with the following message:

New message from: sunbae75 (945Purple Star)

I'm sorry, but I can't pay for this item. Please cancel it.

Feel free to add this loser to your block list.

Edited by MS Cards & Comics

eBay has been losing sellers ever since they switched away from the ability to actually strike back at insufficiently_thoughtful_persons like this.  The inability to leave negative feedback for a buyer is insane.  If they put that option back in you'd have a lot fewer buyers acting like 4 year olds.

Not only is it a pain for you to have to go through and list it again, now prospective buyers are going to assume there was something wrong with the book.  My advice is to relist immediately and make a note that you are doing so because you had a buyer who could not pay-- and ask that new bidders do so only if they can follow through with the binding bid.

More over,  go through channels with eBay in cancelling the sale because the buyer can't pay, they will put a strike against him so that if he does make this a habit he will get bounced.  And definitely block him.

Sorry for this trouble, 90% of eBay buyers are good people.

One guy made an offer on a higher priced item saying "it's my boys bday just making an offer to see if we can work it out." I figured sure at least I know he won't back out. He pays with PayPal and I box it up to ship it out. The next day I get a message saying his kid got a hold of his phone and made a bunch of purchases and asked to cancel and refund his PayPal.  :facepalm: 

At least the guy (or gal) had the courtesy to let you know right away so you could get the process of relisting your item started immediately.

What's worse is when there's no contact from the buyer whatsoever, so you end up wasting X number of days waiting for them to pay and THEN have to file an unpaid item complaint with ebay. (which means waiting some more).

38 minutes ago, Antpark said:

At least the guy (or gal) had the courtesy to let you know right away so you could get the process of relisting your item started immediately.

What's worse is when there's no contact from the buyer whatsoever, so you end up wasting X number of days waiting for them to pay and THEN have to file an unpaid item complaint with ebay. (which means waiting some more).

True, but is there really any excuse for this? He could have retracted his bid before the end of the auction

This is annoying, to be sure. My latest eBay pet peeve is the buyer who doesn't look at the title, or the description, or the picture, but buys the item anyway, and then wants to cancel when they "realize" that they don't want what I'm actually selling. Like, if I'm selling a box for a lego set, just the box, and the auction title begins "BOX ONLY" in all caps, and the first sentence of the description is "This auction is for the BOX ONLY,", and then there are pictures showing an EMPTY BOX, but they buy it, then come back a day later and say "I didn't realize this was just for an empty box," and treat me like I'm the insufficiently_thoughtful_person for ever thinking anyone would want to buy an empty box.

Ok, my blood pressure is going back up...

1 hour ago, FN-2199 said:

Feedback score of 945 is high for these types of things. Usually I get this from low feedback buyers.

not only that --- guy just sold a yogi berra baseball card......  several thousand dollars of sales in the last month.....

yet claims poverty.......

I have had this in some form three times now.  Once the buyer never said anything to me. Never responded to messages, and I eventually filled a report on them. Sold the issues for actually a few dollars more a few weeks later.

Other times buyers eventually contacted me, and did end up paying like 2 weeks later.  At least they sold.

5 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

5 hours ago, Antpark said:

True, but is there really any excuse for this? He could have retracted his bid before the end of the auction

Oh, I absolutely agree. I was just letting the OP know that it can (and probably will) get worse :pullhair:

Could be worse. Could have shipped. Case could have been opened for not as described. Books returned at sellers expense and no doubt not in better condition than when shipped. Get your rant on but move along. Be thankful these people are far out numbered by good ones.

I've had winning bidders ask me to "Cancel" an order and explain how I get credited fees by eBay, but truth be told, that I also think it alleviates the buyer from any blame in the transaction and doesn't demerit them for their non-payment as if it were a mutually agreed upon cancellation or possibly even prompted by the seller, as a possible means to circumvent fees and do a deal outside of eBay.

I prefer the good 'ol non-paying bidder's alert, notifying eBay of that fact.

I then put the bidder on my blocked list.

Then right before putting the "request final value" - since eBay in their infinite wisdom, won't allow negative feedback to buyers, put positive feedback that states the fact such as "Sorry, I could not cancel your winning bid as you had requested, if you decide you want to pay for your purchase, let me know."

What i hate is when you put a comic up for auction and it gets bid up pretty good and the hi bidder has really good feedback and then at the last second of the auction some low or zero feedback guy comes in and outbids the other guy. And what happens probably 90% of the time when this occurs is you never hear from the hi bidder. So you have to wait 7 days before you can make a non-bidder claim. But by this time even if you offer it to the runner up, they usually aren't interested anymore or think you had a shill try to bid them up and pass on the book. Then when you go and relist it, the book ends up selling for a lot less than what the under bidder would have paid for it. 

When this happens you just want to reach through your computer and strangle the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who didn't pay originally for costing you a chunk of money.

On 2/15/2017 at 3:48 PM, F For Fake said:

This is annoying, to be sure. My latest eBay pet peeve is the buyer who doesn't look at the title, or the description, or the picture, but buys the item anyway, and then wants to cancel when they "realize" that they don't want what I'm actually selling. Like, if I'm selling a box for a lego set, just the box, and the auction title begins "BOX ONLY" in all caps, and the first sentence of the description is "This auction is for the BOX ONLY,", and then there are pictures showing an EMPTY BOX, but they buy it, then come back a day later and say "I didn't realize this was just for an empty box," and treat me like I'm the insufficiently_thoughtful_person for ever thinking anyone would want to buy an empty box.

Ok, my blood pressure is going back up...

People buy empty boxes?!

Hello i am so excited I won the auction for your AF15 6.0!  However, i don't really want it I was just seeing if I could win it!  Please cancel it ok I'm too busy to do a buyer cancellation and I'm sure it will be no trouble for you!!!