• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Streak #1 "Pay Copy"

26 posts in this topic

A dream book for me...

"Pay Copy" of SIlver Streak #1 CGC 9.0

Wish I could get half way to playing in this league of books...

I actually wasn't aware that a "Pay Copy" existed of Silver Streak #1 until I saw this auction. Makes sense, I suppose, considering the Funnies Inc. connection. What other "Pay Copies" exist aside from this and the well known Marvel #1?

A dream book for me...

"Pay Copy" of SIlver Streak #1 CGC 9.0

Wish I could get half way to playing in this league of books...

I actually wasn't aware that a "Pay Copy" existed of Silver Streak #1 until I saw this auction. Makes sense, I suppose, considering the Funnies Inc. connection. What other "Pay Copies" exist aside from this and the well known Marvel #1?

what is interesting is that silver streak actually has an ad for Marvel mystery 2....

also Green Giant has contents that went into both titles....

there are other pay copy books,,there dates are all the same period[1939] marvel1,,motion pic funnies weekly 1,silver streak 1....

No.

Those were the only three that actually had the "pay copy" notations on them.

There were other "file copies" found with the pay copies - (Amazing Man #5 was the only other key book though) but none had the pay copy notation.

There were other "file copies" found with the pay copies - (Amazing Man #5 was the only other key book though) but none had the pay copy notation.

Did the other books at least have something on the cover? Maybe stamped "file copy" or something? The Marvel Mysteries I'm thinking of must have had something on the cover, as I remember thinking how cool they were because they were readily identifiable. I think David T. Alexander had them. Maybe they were called Jacquet file copies or something and I just associated them with "pay copy" in my head.

So there are no pay notations on the inside of the "file copies" either?

No the other books had no markings on them or pay notations.

They were just part of the actual storage files in the office.

Now there may be some Marvel Mystery's out there with file copy

stamped on them (hope they didn't come from Hartsdale), but if so

they would have been from a different discovery.

As far as the Pay Copies go - only those three had notations.

Now there may be some Marvel Mystery's out there with file copy

stamped on them (hope they didn't come from Hartsdale), but if so

they would have been from a different discovery.

As far as the Pay Copies go - only those three had notations.

Thanks for the info.

For what it's worth - searching the Heritage archives, there are some stamped MM's that might be from the same find as what I remember from ebay. Here's a link to the #10:

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=814&Lot_No=5441&src=pr

Looks like there are two stamps, one says "Property of Funnies, Inc.", "please return" and something else I can't quite make out (perhaps someone's name?), and another stamp that says "office copy", I think. Not pay copies, obviously, but still pretty cool. So based on your info apparently these didn't come out of the Jacquet estate.

Wonder what the story is on them. There's a 6, 7, and 10 sold in November of last year at Heritage, and the ones I think I remember from ebay might have been a 9 and maybe one other, so seems like there's a little group of them.

Anyway, sorry about the confusion re pay copies.

edit: Ah, one other clue. The cgc label says they were once part of a bound volume.

I'm very curious to see where this book ends. Only $12,000 in 9.0 in the current Guide, but it is the highest graded copy of what seems to be a very difficult (but not necessarily "super-key") GA and it has a serious pedigree. Anyone with more experience/knowledge have a guess? Or for that matter where do you think the reserve is set?

Hopefully the reserve will be less than last time ($30,000 if I remember correctly) so that perhaps it won't pass again.

When I owned this book I got a pretty nice multiple for it, but subsequent guide increases have probably narrowed the likely multiple you could charge for it.