• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baltimore 1943

10 posts in this topic

Sorry I should have posted in this thread.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/118924-1939-newsstand-pic-time-machine-journey-into-the-past/?do=findComment&comment=9658259

This was originally posted in August 2013 but the pictures are gone from a defunct image hosting service. I will slowly resurrect a few of my posts with missing pictures as time allows.

Here is a reason why I find newsstand photos with comics to be fascinating.

These 2 photos were taken by Marjory Collins of two workers looking at newspapers while waiting for a trolley after work in Baltimore Maryland in April 1943. 

baltimore%204-43b_zps6z1i8966.jpg

baltimore%204-43a_zpsptfkjdcb.jpg

Look closely and see there are 8 different comics in the photos and one of them is Gift Comics #3. Gift #3 is a 324 page squarebound of different Fawcett titles printed at the same time as the individual original comics bound inside. So based on the appearance of the other comics and the April 1943 issue of Esquire magazine pictured, here is evidence that Gift #3 was published in 1943 and not in 1949 as indicated in the Overstreet guide and the Grand Comics Database. You read it here first.

Can you identify the other 7 comics?

Notice the Hi Ho Inn restaurant/bar sign over the worker's shoulder. The Hi Ho restaurant was located on 308 East Baltimore so these pictures were taken at the corner of East Baltimore St and North Holliday St in downtown Baltimore.

Matchbook cover from the Hi Ho Inn

hi%20ho%20inn_zpskownl0ph.jpg

Edited by jpepx78
wrong thread posting

46 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Cool!!! ?

I'm on my phone but i see a Whiz, a couple Cracks, a More Fun that doesn't look to fit the date by the large logo, a Detective 75, a Batman 17, and an All-Flash 10...am I close?

Pretty good Gino. Looks like a mix of March 1943 and April 1943 books:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=3&year=1943&publisher=all&sort=alpha&checklist=null

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=4&year=1943&publisher=all&sort=alpha&checklist=null

1 hour ago, Primetime said:

Thanks brother!! and cool site i have never seen it before but will be using it the future for sure!!!

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Big miss by OS and GCD on the date of the Gift 3. I wonder if there was a 1949 reprint? hm

Checked OS and it says 1942-49. Issues 1-3 are all 50 cent issues at 324pgs. I believe in 1949 they came out with #4 at 25 cents and 152 pgs. That's how I read it at least

57 minutes ago, archiefan said:
7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Big miss by OS and GCD on the date of the Gift 3. I wonder if there was a 1949 reprint? hm

Checked OS and it says 1942-49. Issues 1-3 are all 50 cent issues at 324pgs. I believe in 1949 they came out with #4 at 25 cents and 152 pgs. That's how I read it at least

Good point.  OS is ambiguous.  GCD has it explicitly 1949.  Looks like no one has cataloged the contents on GCD.  That would probably have made it obvious that the included books were 1943 Fawcetts, rather than 1949 Fawcetts. 

18 hours ago, Primetime said:

Man, I only own 3 comics that were on the stands the month I was born...LOL

11 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:
On 2/16/2017 at 3:53 AM, Primetime said:

Man, I only own 3 comics that were on the stands the month I was born...LOL

You were born in 1943?  You're remarkably well preserved for your age. :)

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

You were born in 1943?  You're remarkably well preserved for your age. :)

I didn't say that was my birth month or year...:makepoint:  I used the site to look up my birth month...and what's funny is I've sold 3 other books that were on the stands in my birth month over the years without knowing it.  That kinda ticks me off now...