• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM300 edge looks weird

15 posts in this topic

I've actually seen this same chatty edge on a 300 in the PGM threads.  I'll see if I can find it. It was within the last few months so is one of only a few PGM 300s.  The images weren't great quality but I could tell there was something off with the edge.  I wonder if it's the same book?  To me this looks more like a production error than anything else.  I can't see that as an attempt at trimming.  

11 hours ago, bcphillips119 said:

comicquant... this wouldn't be the same book.  I received this from a friend who doesn't have an account on the boards.

chadwick... thanks!  I've had three of these and not one had this edge.

Is this considered chipping?

Not sure if it's considered the same as the marvel chipping from the early 60s, which was caused by the cheap paper they used at the time. But it is a known issue, haven't seen a 9.8 yet, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't give if the book was otherwise flawless. There's lots of books with gripper tears that are 9.8, so who knows.

On February 17, 2017 at 6:05 AM, Chadwick said:

Asm300 is known for having a ratty edge, very common for this issue. 

That is correct. It's a common book and I, like many others I'm sure, have owned numerous copies with this manufacturing defect. I believe I've had a CGC 9.4-9.6 with it so don't worry or let anyone tell you it's low grade because of it.

I know you can get 9.8's with the ratty edge. 100% possible, I don't think it's factored in at all.  Not sure if it's been said already, I only read down a few posts.

The one linked below probably isn't quite as bad but it does have it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-300-CGC-Graded-9-8-Origin-1st-Appearance-Venom-/282379012574?hash=item41bf19c9de:g:iYoAAOSw2gxYuknG

Edited by SonOfWolF