• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed - providing original art for commercial purposes
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have a business sitatuation in which I need some info and help on how to proceed. I own  a piece of original comic strip art which an organizer of a con is looking to scan in order to produce commercial merchandise (t-shirts and possibly other stuff).

I am aware that people provide scans of their art for an item such as an Artist edition for a copy of the edition, but here we are talking about merchandise which I have no interest in, and I doubt that many people I know would want to get a piece. I am also not looking to sell the items. 

Has anybody been in a similar situation? I would appreciate any help regarding this matter, as googling it has not given me much help. Getting some money from this deal would be great, as I am getting married, and need cash. :)

The Artist Edition's has an agreement with the owners of the copyright of the material (which would be different from the owners of the physical art) that gives them reproduction rights.

The owners of the physical art may be given an Artist Edition as a thank you, but that's not payment, it's more of a courtesy.

The only thing you have to sell is the physical art.

(I AM NOT A LAWYER...) :)