• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling Thousands of Comics....Best Way?
1 1

116 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, kav said:

My buddy bought 120 longboxes of 80s 90s stuff for $250 and boy did he regret that purchase.  

It's not that I don't believe it, but all you really need is 10 longboxes of decent $1-$3, and/or one box out of 120 with $5 books to double your money on a haul like that.  The odds are higher than someone buying 5-10 longboxes, and I've done this with collections with less than 20 longboxes

23 hours ago, MedicAR said:

All right, it's time to sell.  I'm finally being allowed (that's a story unto itself) to sell the majority of my collection and am more anxious to unload it rapidly than to maximize profit.  I plan to keep the better stuff, keys, semi-keys, and high grade books.  I also plan to keep my CGC books and few sentimental runs.  For those keeping score at home, that leaves raw books, mostly filler of varying condition, and in bulk.  The majority are bagged and boarded albeit with cheaper materials, as when I started, cost was a major factor and I've never managed to rebag them all.  We're looking at 80-90 long boxes.

Now for the kicker, I'm thinking of contacting Chuck.  My rationale is simple.  He deals in bulk and is generally in attendance of Planet Comic Con, allowing me the opportunity to talk in person and even bring "samples" if necessary or I could load the collection up and take it with me.  I plan to make contact prior to the show so he will have an idea of needs as far as taking the books back to Denver if he should be so inclined.  

Aside from the lack of profit margin, does anyone see a problem with this plan?  If so, what better options are available?  

You got the right idea in terms of going about this with a plan, but you really need to exhaust your options involving people coming to you to unload it. You are talking roughly 16,000-19,000 comics. If it's any consolation, I sold a collection of approx. 16,000 comics last summer, but it wasn't the kind of collection that looked like it was stripped down to the bare bones with nothing. There were some books in there worth thousands each, and the majority of it was stuff that moved well. As a buyer, I always want to come out of a buy with at least one or two long boxes of stuff that moves well at shows, and in the $5-$10 range, but when the ratio is 50 long boxes to 1 or 2 of decent stock, it has to be the kind of buyer willing to sit on it for a few years, and with the warehouse space. As long as it's someone local, or can haul it without incurring too much costs, you still stand a better chance of getting a higher number than someone that has to travel.

Just now, comicwiz said:

20 hours ago, kav said:

My buddy bought 120 longboxes of 80s 90s stuff for $250 and boy did he regret that purchase.  

It's not that I don't believe it, but all you really need is 10 longboxes of decent $1-$3, and/or one box out of 120 with $5 books to double your money on a haul like that.  The odds are higher than someone buying 5-10 longboxes, and I've done this with collections with less than 20 longboxes

Sure if they are books people are willing to pay $1-$3 or $5 for you're set.  If they are standard 80s and 90s drek, they don't sell for a nickel.

17 hours ago, wombat said:

Can you donate any of them? Children's hospital or something like that. While it doesn't help you out too much, it might make someone happy. 

This.

PM Spider-Dan. He visits Children's hospitals ever year and brings comics for the kids to read.

Edited by Gotham Kid

I remember the last time this came up several people suggested I was lying.  I finally told one guy to call the LCS and speak to the guy.  He said he'd 'do it on monday' but he never did.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Sure if they are books people are willing to pay $1-$3 or $5 for you're set.  If they are standard 80s and 90s drek, they don't sell for a nickel.

When I'm buying roughly 10 longbox collections, there's always at least one longbox of Spider-Man. ASM, Web, Spectacular, Spider-Man - those are minimum $3 books all day at an outdoor venue I do. The last 3-4 years, it's not just Spidey, but Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, and of course, I never have enough Batman's on hand. I haven't sold a Batman comic for less than $5, ever. The key of course is I have to be paying somewhere between $20-$40 and no more than $60 per long box when the ratio is 10:1, but at $2 a longbox, my biggest problem is that people where I'm buying from would never allow themselves to sell that low. Even if you stood there explaining no one would buy it, they would think you're ripping them off.

Edited by comicwiz

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Maybeyoucouldsellthembecauseyouareasupersoldierandasupersellingsoldier.

Just now, comicwiz said:

When I'm buying roughly 10 longbox collections, there's always at least one longbox of Spider-Man. ASM, Web, Spectacular, Spider-Man - those are $3 books all day at an outdoor venue I do. The last 3-4 years, it's not just Spidey, but Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, and of course, I never have enough Batman's on hand. I haven't sold a Batman comic for less than $5, ever. The key of course is I have to be paying somewhere between $20-$40 and no more than $60 per long box when the ratio is 10:1, but at $2 a longbox, my biggest problem is that people where I'm buying from would never allow themselves to sell that low.

You've never sold 90s Batman for less than $5?  This astonishes me because they are in dollar boxes everywhere and you could really multiply your investment.

Has anyone who lives near OP that thinks these would be easy to move actually contacted him about buying them?

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

EvenIcouldnotsellthemIamafraid

4 minutes ago, kav said:

You've never sold 90s Batman for less than $5?  This astonishes me because they are in dollar boxes everywhere and you could really multiply your investment.

I haven't had a longbox of Batman's last more than one day out of four day show. Of course the $10 Bat books and up don't sell as quick, but the ones sitting in my $5 boxes are all gone. There's plenty of Tec and Batman issues from the 80's and 90's that hold their values. Like I said, the biggest issue is I don't ever have enough, and I do the show once a year, and even with 11 months of buying/building, I have never had a show where I had Batman's at the end of it unsold.

Edited by comicwiz

4 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I haven't had a longbox of Batman's last more than one day out of four day show. Of course the $10 Bat books and up don't sell as quick, but the ones sitting in my $5 boxes are all gone. There's plenty of Tec and Batman issues from the 80's and 90's that hold their values. Like I said, the biggest issue is I don't ever have enough, and I do the show once a year, and even with 11 months of buying/building, I have never had a show where I had Batman's at the end of it unsold.

In that case I have great news for you-there are an infinite number of 90s batman lots like this one-you could buy these 40 90s batmans at $1 each and sell easily for $5.  there are even better deals than this too for 90s batman on ebay!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-40-Batman-Comics-90s-DC-/262853315645?hash=item3d33474c3d:g:8IMAAOSwdIFX1f6M

9 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Evenasuperdupersoldiercannotselldreknomatterwhathecan'tevengivethemawayman

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Butyouareacoolsupersoldierwhocanconvinceanyonetobuybooksspeciallyiftheyarecapsbcausecapsarecool.

DrekbooksarelikeCap'sshield-indestructibletoselling.