• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘Game of Thrones’ Star Cast as Lead in Marvel, ABC’s ‘Inhumans’

3 posts in this topic

I spewed on for that long to really set up how much of a failure I think the Inhumans is. How much I think that this ABC show shouldn’t even bother being remembered when we remember the era of Marvel shows prior to Marvel Television folding. I can find redeemable qualities in everything else and yes, that includes Iron Fist. As disappointing as that show was, I’d watch it a hundred times over Inhumans – especially Iron Fist’s second season. And plus, I still stand by Tom Pelphrey being absolutely amazing as Ward Meachum. Rewatching Iron Fist for him alone is worth it.

Inhumans, though? Throw it in the trash. If you didn’t know, Inhumans is essentially the only planned Marvel movie to be taken off the board and converted into a TV series. It was eight episodes of pure trash that they had the audacity to think people wanted to see on the big screen. The first two episodes of Inhumans premiered in IMAX and the rest of the episodes went on ABC. Honestly, what a load of spoon this was.

What Made It Bad
From the horrible CGI, terrible costumes, awful wigs (I’m looking at you, Medusa), and terrible writing, it’s no wonder it was canceled. And this was during a time when Marvel shows really weren’t being canceled. This was 2017, a couple of years before Marvel Television started folding and the Netflix Marvel shows were canceled one by one. Back then, we assumed every Marvel show would continue as Marvel had a successful formula. And no matter how much they want to walk back on this, all of these shows connected (to a degree) to the movie MCU’s timeline. If you go back and watch the Netflix Marvel shows, they mention the Hulk, Captain America, and “the incident” which was Loki’s invasion of New York City. So, even though now it seems Kevin Feige wants to establish a new continuity with the shows that he’s bringing to the table, we all assumed that all the shows mentioned beforehand were indeed part of the MCU. For a show to be canceled around that time meant it had to be horrible.

So Cheap
And it was. God, it was awful. You can tell the show was produced on a shoestring budget because not only were the looks of everyone cheap, but there was none of what you came for. And that’s the fighting. You have characters with some of the strongest power moves in the comics – such as Black Bolt – and you barely have him use his power or fight. Why? Probably because there’s no budget. It’s odd to think that this could have been a movie with an awesome appreciation for the characters and instead, we got a bootleg version of the Inhumans. Seriously, in the comics, the Inhuman Crystal is married to Ronan The Accuser. There’s no way in hell I could ever see the TV version of Crystal married to the movie version of Ronan. It was laughable to think these characters were Marvel superheroes. At the time, The CW was putting out better stuff than this.