• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could the ultra quick grading turn around times affect prices on slabs?

8 posts in this topic

With CGC kicking out slabs at a blistering pace do you think this will have a negative impact to the prices of slabbed books?  Not that long ago I heard a bunch of people say they would get books graded but hated having books sitting for 3-4 months at CGC but I'm assuming those people will have no problem sending in books if they get the books back in a month.  I'm sure the turn around time will slow down once Con season kicks back up but lets assume these turn around times are here to stay.  Will there be a glut of books hitting the market?  Will there only be a glut of lower grade slabs hitting the market since a ton of newbies will be shocked after getting back their first submission?  Or will the quick turn around time have no impact to the overall market and people will just get their books back a lot quicker?

Edited by 1Cool

Greggy alone seems to be getting back multiple 9.8 copies of hot books right and left.  I know it's not that easy to find ultra high grade books but with dealers getting books back once a month you would think the market would have a hard time absorbing all those slabs.

There is no guarantee that there are actually more slabs hitting the market on a daily basis. Is the quicker TAT because of a higher capacity of CGC to crank out books or because of fewer submissions? If the latter, than there aren't more slabs hitting the market. 

I know what you are going to say... "CGC says they are cranking them out faster because of process improvements and extra staff etc". Well of course that is what CGC would say. They certainly aren't going to say that their submission numbers are down and that is why they are faster. Maybe they are able to handle more capacity but until we have some approximate number of what they were cranking out a year ago versus today, it's impossible to make any correlation between their capacity to crank out slabs and the market for said slabs. As far as I know, no one has any clue how many books they slab per day now or in the past. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd actually love to know what they slab in a day.

On 2/22/2017 at 2:57 PM, LordRahl said:

...As far as I know, no one has any clue how many books they slab per day now or in the past. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd actually love to know what they slab in a day.

According to cgcdata.com for the week of 1/31/17 to  2/7/17 (just pulling a random recent week) there were 5,897 Universal labels added for books dated 1950 to present.

So roughly 1,200 Universal slabs per day added to the census.

That's a lot of slabs.

I recently got a submission back with several 9.8 copies of hot copper junk and have already moved quite a few of them at very nice prices relative to GPA.

So from my personal, recent experience the answer would be no.