• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Style Changes

24 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2017 at 11:12 PM, MagnusX said:

Keith Giffen, From his clean run in Legion of Super heroes in the early 80's,
to his dark heavily Inking in the 90's, to his Kyrby influenced Style...

He had changed so often and so radical,
that sometimes I think he don't have an style of his own,
its mostly who is the current influence for him in any given period of time...

I was mostly a Marvel guy growing up in the 70s and 80s so the first time I saw something by Keith Giffen that turned my head was Trencher. For a while there I wondered why stuff with his name on it never looked like Trencher! The idea that an artist could change that dramatically was foreign to me at that time.

On 2/23/2017 at 1:09 AM, RabidFerret said:

Rick Leonardi always comes to mind for a style-changing machine. From Uncanny X-Men to Spider-Man 2099 to Amazing Spider-Man and 20 other titles, it felt like he would change his style to suit the book. And it was generally quite awesome! If you took the credits off, I'm not convinced you'd realize it was the same artist.

Rick Leonardi is a guy I would not have thought of initially but you make a good point. I loved his stuff on Cloak & Dagger and Spider-Man 2099 - I myself often wondered how much Al Williamson we were getting on top of Rick for Spidey 2099. I am a big fan of Rick's and am still on the lookout for a nice 2099 page with the villain with the staff and cowboy hat on it...I thought I had one a while ago on DOA but it was not to be.

3 hours ago, Bird said:

Rick Leonardi is a guy I would not have thought of initially but you make a good point. I loved his stuff on Cloak & Dagger and Spider-Man 2099 - I myself often wondered how much Al Williamson we were getting on top of Rick for Spidey 2099. I am a big fan of Rick's and am still on the lookout for a nice 2099 page with the villain with the staff and cowboy hat on it...I thought I had one a while ago on DOA but it was not to be.

I think Rick and Al were a great team. Al brought a much looser inking style over his work than say, Dan Green, who put down a very slick line. I have a page from 2099 and New Mutants(http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=99960) and you really see the difference inkers make, and how both of them nailed it but the results were very different. And you can even go back to Uncanny 201 and see his work with Whilce Portacio inks, which looks even cooler!

Rick is seriously unsung for how much awesome he produced and how easily he adapted and changed his style.

Inking aside, I think Byrne is the biggest offender by far.  I loved his work even up though WCA - I still really want a WCA cover - but it was during Namor I lost interest in his art (and earlier I remember being a bit disappointed during the late part of his Superman run, like he just ran out of gas).  The funny thing is if you follow him on Byrne Robotics, he really emphasizes how much better he's become, and how much he dislikes his early, most beloved art.  And I partially agree - compare his drapery in Iron Fist or UXM, and it's so much better now!  Yet his poses, faces, body language seem so stiff, they just lack that early voluptuous quality...