• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most Overwhelming GA Purchase

62 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Here's one that fits the original description for the thread.  It was a Sunday night and I was watching the auction on HA when this book popped up.  I thought "oh yeah, that's a cool cover".  I had seen it several times over the years.  Well the price was pretty good so I got into the bidding and ended up winning.  Once I had it in hand and could see how truly amazing the book was I knew it was a permanent addition to the collection.

Adventure79_1.jpg

I have always been curious about that book and liked that cover....I could see how it could sneak up on you, especially after Jimbo described the interior! (National 16 the same way...please don't tell me I'm going to love that one cover to cover too!)

Edited by Readcomix
Spelling

23 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I bought this book not long ago because it was a classic cover, a good deal, had a Will Eisner signature inside and was the origin of Sheena. I knew I would like it but was surprised how much I liked it, once I saw that last page with the first time she wore that dress.    

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

Wow!  Thanks for showing this!  I always liked the cover, but now I have another reason to like the book!  Is it the first Sheena?  

On 2/25/2017 at 2:00 PM, Ltpink2002 said:

Richard offered me this book a few years ago.  Without much thought, I purchased the book for Grundy's first appearance.  Over the years, I've grown quite fond of the cover.

AllAmericanComics061_1_zps34a624b1.jpg

This is one of my all time favorite covers and I want one badly! :)

Possibly yet another thread topic, but this fits here as well. Have you ever sold a book, regretted it and years latter had the chance to win it back? Purchased this BS14 here on the boards, held it a while, sold it on HA and about 3 years later bid on it in a Clink auction and won it back. Yup the same book. Funny I could never find a better copy in the duration.

Brenda Starr 14.jpg

7 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Possibly yet another thread topic, but this fits here as well. Have you ever sold a book, regretted it and years latter had the chance to win it back? Purchased this BS14 here on the boards, held it a while, sold it on HA and about 3 years later bid on it in a Clink auction and won it back. Yup the same book. Funny I could never find a better copy in the duration.

Brenda Starr 14.jpg

I have had that experience many times. I like it.  I've had books that have left me and travelled overseas and made it back. 

On 2/25/2017 at 9:29 PM, batman_fan said:

I purchased my Batman 1 back in 1998 from CLINK.  I agonized over how much it cost but decided it was my one opportunity to own a copy (especially given prices today).  Once I had it in hand I was amazed at the actual book.  Still get that same feeling every time I pull it out to look at.

batman1.jpg

:luhv:<3

On 2/25/2017 at 7:34 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I bought this book not long ago because it was a classic cover, a good deal, had a Will Eisner signature inside and was the origin of Sheena. I knew I would like it but was surprised how much I liked it, once I saw that last page with the first time she wore that dress.    

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

thats a great copy of a sweet book!  if you ever decide to let it go please let me know :wishluck:

My most expensive purchase ever was made was in 2011 from All Star Auctions at 2011 SDCC.  I decided to fork out the cash.  Nadia and Joe Mannarino, who are now directors at Heritage, were helping the late Jerry Robinson sell off his collection.  Nadia still remembered from from the time that I purchased an EC OA page drawn by the great Wally Wood from her.  I was so nervous and my hands were sweaty when handling the book.  Since I consider comic book collecting as a hobby to me, I was reluctant to spend so much money on one comic book, but a happy that I did.

Batman1Cover.jpg

2 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

My most expensive purchase ever was made was in 2011 from All Star Auctions at 2011 SDCC.  I decided to fork out the cash.  Nadia and Joe Mannarino, who are now directors at Heritage, were helping the late Jerry Robinson sell off his collection.  Nadia still remembered from from the time that I purchased an EC OA page drawn by the great Wally Wood from her.  I was so nervous and my hands were sweaty when handling the book.  Since I consider comic book collecting as a hobby to me, I was reluctant to spend so much money on one comic book, but a happy that I did.

Batman1Cover.jpg

(worship) Is that Jerry Robinson's copy??!!

2 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Batman1Cover.jpg

The kind of book that it's tough to overpay for.  Or put another, the kind of book that you can regret not buying but are unlikely to regret buying.

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

(worship) Is that Jerry Robinson's copy??!!

Jerry Robinson had three copies of Batman #1.  G.A.tor bought the best copy.  My copy is still raw, but when I am ready to sell, Nadia said that she will help me get a SS yellow slab, since she is a CGC witness.  I like touching the book and letting my buddies touch a Batman #1.  Both Bunky Brian and G.A.tor said to keep the book raw until I am ready to sell.  The main issue with the Jerry Robinson collection is the page quality.  Because of how the books were stored, most of them are brittle, which kept most collectors away.

Edited by BitterOldMan
Added more information

On 3/31/2017 at 5:27 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

I am overwhelmed everyday when I look at this book and how fortunate I am to own it. I just got it last December!  Sensation #6 the first appearance and origin of Wonder Woman's magic lasso. 

sensation 6.jpg

sensation 6 back.jpg

The toughest "key" ww book imo