• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Kane sketches and autographs

7 posts in this topic

I'm getting back into comics, been out for 20 years. I bought a collection of books is the early 80's, with them there is a sketch of batman, of robin and bob Kane sitting in the 1966 bat mobile, all 3 signed by bob Kane. Also a famous first edition signed by Joe shuster, I was hoping to get some feedback on the values of them, thanks for the help, I'm new to the forum, need help on getting pics posted too

10 hours ago, GMahon said:

I'm getting back into comics, been out for 20 years. I bought a collection of books is the early 80's, with them there is a sketch of batman, of robin and bob Kane sitting in the 1966 bat mobile, all 3 signed by bob Kane. Also a famous first edition signed by Joe shuster, I was hoping to get some feedback on the values of them, thanks for the help, I'm new to the forum, need help on getting pics posted too

Pictures?

Bob Kane signatures are notoriously tough to authenticate.  He was known to lean heavily on ghost artists.

Pictures are crucial here.  

That being said, Turtle hit the nail on the head.  Bob Kane used ghosts from Detective Comics #27 through the 1990s.  I remember a comic strip about comic conventions where the voice on the loudspeaker announces that Sprang will be signing Bob Kane autographs for the next hour only.  It's silly but it illustrates the problem with Bob Kane perfectly.  Not only did he hire people to do his work for him, he didn't even have the decency to sign the work once it was done, he had them sign his name for him! 

In the late 1980s or early 1990s Bob Kane's biography "Batman and Me" was released in a variety of editions, most notably a limited signed edition and a signed/sketched edition.  I, like many collectors, assumed that this would be the best way to get a truly authentic signature and snapped one up.  In recent years, though, I've read articles suggesting that even these are questionable.  

In the world of autographs, known authentic examples are crucial in trying to authenticate other signatures.  While many of us can offer an opinion on signatures and sketches, everyone has an off day, both signers and those trying to determine authenticity, so there is no guarantee.  Post what you've got and let's see what others think!