• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insane Half Price Books Pricing?

23 posts in this topic

Many over priced books for silver age. They can not grade at all. But, have found a few modern gems at the store. I just hate when the books don't have sleeves,cause they price them for a dollar with the sticker right on the comic....???

I love my HPB! They are a serious honey hole.  The pricing is pretty hilarious, as they'll prop up any book that looks "old" as being valuable, and ask a lot of money for low/mid grade silver and bronze drek. However, if you look past that, they routinely dump very valuable moderns in their bins for $1 or $2 a pop.  They don't seem to be hip to the fact that new comics can be valuable too. 

And while it's true that for the most part they're offering 10 cents a pop on comics, it is possible to game their system as well. I've routinely brought in aforementioned low/mid grade silver and bronze drek that I paid, say, $1 or $2 each for, that I can't give away on eBay or on the boards here, and had them pay me $5 to $10 a pop. The stores may not be consistent in their pricing, but I've had good luck locally. 

18 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I love my HPB! They are a serious honey hole.  The pricing is pretty hilarious, as they'll prop up any book that looks "old" as being valuable, and ask a lot of money for low/mid grade silver and bronze drek. However, if you look past that, they routinely dump very valuable moderns in their bins for $1 or $2 a pop.  They don't seem to be hip to the fact that new comics can be valuable too. 

And while it's true that for the most part they're offering 10 cents a pop on comics, it is possible to game their system as well. I've routinely brought in aforementioned low/mid grade silver and bronze drek that I paid, say, $1 or $2 each for, that I can't give away on eBay or on the boards here, and had them pay me $5 to $10 a pop. The stores may not be consistent in their pricing, but I've had good luck locally. 

Good to know. Finding something to spend the money on then would be the tough part, ha.